I think I have disease… are these white spots ich??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks Jay,

I actually have most equipment to setup a hospital tank, so that’s an option. i guess that’s tonight’s project.
Because formalin based medication such as quick cure has become scarce, ruby rally pro has been effective while slow to treat and takes about 48 hours to take effect but offers positive results
It’s hard to overdose it opposed to other medications also
Water will temporarily be a yellow/green color which is normal

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing freshwater dips every other day and running the peroxide salts while waiting for ruby rally to arrive. I thought I would have had it by Friday but unfortunately I’m still waiting.

My working plan is a rally pro bath for 90 min, transfer to “clean” QT tank (5 gal), and metroplex dosing (2 scoops/10g)

The problem is I don’t have any cycled “clean” media. If I use media from the infected tank, will the metro be able to kill any remaining Brooklynella? Should I give the media a rally pro bath?

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice? I have the meds now.

If metro cannot kill brook on the infected media, should I be dipping, transferring, and dosing ruby rally pro to the QT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice? I have the meds now.

If metro cannot kill brook on the infected media, should I be dipping, transferring, and dosing ruby rally pro to the QT?

The issue here is an accurate diagnosis (which I'm still not positive of). Assuming it is Brook, you're correct, using media from the infected tank is going to short circuit the dip that you did. However, uncontrolled ammonia in a new treatment tank is a huge issue on its own.

Taking a leap of faith here - if it is Brook, the dip will slow things down. Then, you'll need to treat the QT with normal in-tank doses of Rally Pro, augmenting that with dips if things worsen. Managing the ammonia will need to be done by using Amquel (I'm not a fan of Prime) as well as water changes (redosing the Ruby Reef to offset the water that was changed).

If it is ich or flukes, I normally tell folks to just move the media over and let the copper or prazi handle any additional transfer of parasites that came over with the media....at least you won't have to worry about the ammonia.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, that answers my question perfectly.

Given that I’m away for 2 days this weekend and don’t want to trust anyone with ammonia management (on top of food and any medication), I’m going to do the ruby dip, use media I know can manage the ammonia, and prepare to do this all again into a sterile, viable qt in a week or two.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back