I think I have disease… are these white spots ich??

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
89D3C512-969E-4D97-A55B-EA14D33F2B48.jpeg

update: blenny now has a red line under his fin on both sides that was not there this morning (or ever). It isn’t along his gills, it looks more like it’s at the base of his fins but it’s hard to tell.

All fish enjoyed their dinner.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familiar with Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic? I believe it’s a peroxide salt. My LFS owner doesn’t carry prazi, but thinks this is a better option for medicating a DT anyways.

DF7F5151-314D-4101-8FA3-D8631AFFA71B.jpeg
That won’t help if it is flukes. It has helped in minor protozoan infections for some people.
Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That won’t help if it is flukes. It has helped in minor protozoan infections for some people.
Jay
Ok thanks. I’ll order prazi on Amazon, or the api general cure like evil1 suggested if you guys think metronizadole is worth using/ is reef safe.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is reef safe. I would not put General Cure in a reef, because of the Metro in it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I’ll order prazi on Amazon, or the api general cure like evil1 suggested if you guys think metronizadole is worth using/ is reef safe.
Prazi is reef safe, but people have had issues with metronidazole. I’ve always avoided using metro with invertebrates out of waryness, so I don’t know for sure ….
Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi arrives Friday. My main concern now is the blenny, who’s tearing himself up on the rocks and breathing very fast. I started the reef safe medic to hold them over until prazi— let me know if this was a bad idea/ if they mix poorly.

I am not sure if tearing the tank apart to catch the blenny for a freshwater dip will outright kill him from stress, so as long as he’s eating (he stopped eating pellets, still takes the mysis) I guess I should hold off on that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi arrives Friday. My main concern now is the blenny, who’s tearing himself up on the rocks and breathing very fast. I started the reef safe medic to hold them over until prazi— let me know if this was a bad idea/ if they mix poorly.

I am not sure if tearing the tank apart to catch the blenny for a freshwater dip will outright kill him from stress, so as long as he’s eating (he stopped eating pellets, still takes the mysis) I guess I should hold off on that.

I'm not sure how Medic reacts with Prazi, Medic is an oxidizer, so it could change the Prazi to some degree. However, Medic also decomposes fairly rpaidly in aquariums, so just don't dose it the day of adding prazi.

A FW dip might buy you some time with the blenny, but you'r right, it will do more harm than good if you can't catch it easily and without undue harm to the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FF78BEE8-A610-4C21-B39A-2919816A079B.jpeg
CB7C6EFB-CF8E-4F2C-BF77-13043D5FE95C.jpeg

Lost the goby the other night— I thought he was the least affected but I guess I couldn’t tell with his white skin. He also wasn’t the strongest eater to begin with.

The other two seem to (knock on wood) be doing better, with the clowns white spots all but disappearing, and the blenny seeming much more relaxed, though he still occasionally flashes and his head/fins are reddish as a consequence. It seems like symptoms are worst towards the end of the 12 hour periods between dosing medic. I’m feeding 6 times a day and both are eating well. Added bonus is corals are completely fine with the treatment.

Does it make sense to continue the course with medic? It’s a 20 day medication (every 12 hours). I’m assuming that once praxis in there there’s no turning back, as its two doses are a week apart, and so I imagine it doesn’t decompose quickly .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone familiar with Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic? I believe it’s a peroxide salt. My LFS owner doesn’t carry prazi, but thinks this is a better option for medicating a DT anyways.

DF7F5151-314D-4101-8FA3-D8631AFFA71B.jpeg
I am and its peroxide salts and wont do anything for what you have. Best alternative is General cure. Prazi as Jat recommended may be best bet for now

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am and its peroxide salts and wont do anything for what you have. Best alternative is General cure. Prazi as Jat recommended may be best bet for now
Okay, thanks. Switching to prazi tonight after a water change to lower any remaining peroxide.

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 24 hours since dosing prazi and the blenny is still flashing, both fish breathing heavily and behaving weirdly.
image.jpg

Between an airstone and a powerhead with the top out of the water I have the tank filled with bubbles.

I dosed 1.8mL prazi, for an estimated 8g of water (10g minus rock and sand).

Any thoughts? Really any help would be much appreciated, not sure what to do at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish behavior

The video is really pixelated, I can’t really see anything.

One thing about prazi - it knocks the flukes off, but leaves skin damage where the flukes were. That causes a continuation of symptoms for a few days after treatment. However, that also means it is very difficult to determine if the prazi was even the right treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is really pixelated, I can’t really see anything.

One thing about prazi - it knocks the flukes off, but leaves skin damage where the flukes were. That causes a continuation of symptoms for a few days after treatment. However, that also means it is very difficult to determine if the prazi was even the right treatment.

Jay
I’ll try to get you a better video

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight will be 5 days after dosing prazi.
F3272D70-2B4F-48A1-9BD0-4E20BBF3BCE1.jpeg

BB404BBD-A737-45B8-B76F-273B3FE3CAAB.jpeg

ABA90020-849E-4A91-848E-8F1F1C1D81D4.jpeg

Spots are worse than ever on the clown, and now visible on the blenny. Blenny is still flashing, though not as aggressively as before and not to the point of making his skin red, but he is not eating much today.

Is it safe to say that prazi did not work? And there’s no point in a second dose?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight will be 5 days after dosing prazi.
F3272D70-2B4F-48A1-9BD0-4E20BBF3BCE1.jpeg

BB404BBD-A737-45B8-B76F-273B3FE3CAAB.jpeg

ABA90020-849E-4A91-848E-8F1F1C1D81D4.jpeg

Spots are worse than ever on the clown, and now visible on the blenny. Blenny is still flashing, though not as aggressively as before and not to the point of making his skin red, but he is not eating much today.

Is it safe to say that prazi did not work? And there’s no point in a second dose?

As I had mentioned, each of the pics seemed to show different issues (yikes!). This last clownfish pic looks more like Brooklynella. That is tough to control in a tank with invertebrates. Formalin in a treatment tank works, but formalin is toxic to people and probably should not be used in homes (due to it de-gassing into the room). Another, less effective option for an in-display treatment would be Ruby Reef Rally Pro. You could use it as a high dose dip, and then dose the tank itself at a lower dose. I always use formalin myself (in a public aquarium, not a home) so I'm going to call in another fish medic who has used Rally Pro more often. @vetteguy53081

Jay

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had mentioned, each of the pics seemed to show different issues (yikes!). This last clownfish pic looks more like Brooklynella. That is tough to control in a tank with invertebrates. Formalin in a treatment tank works, but formalin is toxic to people and probably should not be used in homes (due to it de-gassing into the room). Another, less effective option for an in-display treatment would be Ruby Reef Rally Pro. You could use it as a high dose dip, and then dose the tank itself at a lower dose. I always use formalin myself (in a public aquarium, not a home) so I'm going to call in another fish medic who has used Rally Pro more often. @vetteguy53081

Jay
Thanks Jay,

I actually have most equipment to setup a hospital tank, so that’s an option. i guess that’s tonight’s project.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back