I think I messed up the IP adress that lets me into my apex.... help me get back in!

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone

I'll start this by saying that I'm an idiot... A technically challenged one at that...

Any way I haven't been able to use fusion for a few months now (working on hardwiring the apex jr) so when I need to access it I plug one end of an ethernet cable into the apex and the other end into my laptop, go to what I believe is my apex jr's IP adress on chrome and turn on/off whatever I need to when I do water changes etc. Recently I had an "idea" when I saw that an IP address didn't match when I was selecting the ethernet cable in the network menu on my macbook and changed it so that it matched... So now that doesn't work and I don't know remember what it was before and didn't think to take a photo of it or write it down so i could undo what I've done. My computer seems to remember the change I made so everytime I plug it in it has whatever I've done to it and doesn't work. Because I spiralled after I realized what I did and tried some different things- I think I'm beyond the point of any "undo" protocols.

I know I still have the controller display to access these on off functions but last time I tried to do that I ended up shutting off my ato without any idea how I did so and was unable to turn it back on. I find the interface much friendlier on the controllers webpage. Is there any hope I can get back to it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Download the Apex Flash Utility
Connect an ethernet cable directly to it
Launch the app
The IP address assigned to the Apex is displayed
Thanks for the response! I tried entering that IP address and still no dice, I feel as though may have failed to explain the area I'm having the difficulty with so hopefully this photo helps, I'm starting to think I messes up laptops IP address because when I enter 0.0.0.0 I get this message- "The value entered is reserved for the default route and cannot be used as the IP address for this computer."

IMG_0373.jpg

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done similar before, let me try to assist. My first thing for you to try would be go to the display, go to the network settings and see what the IP address is. Put that IP address in your address bar when your trying to log into it on your mac.

Didn't catch if your apex is hardwired or if you are wifi with it (either the newer apex and use wifi or classic and use a wifi adapter). Anyway, if above step doesn't work try logging into your router and viewing what items are currently connected. They should have IP address listed, try ones you are not sure of one at a time (type the IP address in and see if apex comes up). If it does that's the new IP address for the apex.
I have a google router so when this happened to me I just logged into it, viewed what was connected to the router and tried each unknown IP until one opened apex :). I then saved to my favorites and made sure I had it saved.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done similar before, let me try to assist. My first thing for you to try would be go to the display, go to the network settings and see what the IP address is. Put that IP address in your address bar when your trying to log into it on your mac.

Didn't catch if your apex is hardwired or if you are wifi with it (either the newer apex and use wifi or classic and use a wifi adapter). Anyway, if above step doesn't work try logging into your router and viewing what items are currently connected. They should have IP address listed, try ones you are not sure of one at a time (type the IP address in and see if apex comes up). If it does that's the new IP address for the apex.
I have a google router so when this happened to me I just logged into it, viewed what was connected to the router and tried each unknown IP until one opened apex :). I then saved to my favorites and made sure I had it saved.
I believe I understood the top portion of what you said and tried that but I received this message when I hit apply- "The first quad of the value entered can not be zero". I checked on the apex and controller and that the IP address displayed.

Unfortunately I am neither hardwired to a router or using wifi, I'm wired to my laptop, visiting the apex's ip address on chrome and controlling it through there (or I was before I messed things up). While checking on the apex I noticed that DHCP is off, would that be affecting anything? I'm unsure if I changed that when I spiralled or if its been like that this entire time.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this help? It is several years old.

I'm not going to lie that looks a little beyond my capabilities:oops:

I wasn't even aware that LAN was/could be at play here...

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to lie that looks a little beyond my capabilities:oops:

I wasn't even aware that LAN was/could be at play here...

By plugging in the Apex you are creating your own little LAN with the Mac and Apex. If you follow their directions and just plug in the Apex and have nothing else plugged in and have wireless turned off, I would think the Apex would be the only IP to come up. I wish I could be more help, but I'm a windows guy. Every time I touch a Mac it crashes.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By plugging in the Apex you are creating your own little LAN with the Mac and Apex. If you follow their directions and just plug in the Apex and have nothing else plugged in and have wireless turned off, I would think the Apex would be the only IP to come up. I wish I could be more help, but I'm a windows guy. Every time I touch a Mac it crashes.
Well now I know I have no idea how LAN works ;Hilarious

If I did that then wouldn't the IP of the apex just match the one it shows me on the controller?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a newer apex of classic? im guessing classic. they make wifi adapters (kinda like an antenna) you can plug into the classic to be able to use wife. did that at my old house. You just cant update it that way.
When is the last time you updated it, it could need to be updated. I wonder if you could get it to update if it would reset the IP for ya?
If your mac is still getting internet though your fine, just need to figure out what the IP is now for the apex.

Could also try to buy a long ethernet cable to run from apex to router. Just use it to try and fix this issue and when you need to update. Get it plugged in so its online will probably be the fix.

you may need to contact Neptune and open a ticket.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm confused. What is the controller?
This is the Apex junior and I was able to see the IP address via the included controller display.
is it a newer apex of classic? im guessing classic. they make wifi adapters (kinda like an antenna) you can plug into the classic to be able to use wife. did that at my old house. You just cant update it that way.
When is the last time you updated it, it could need to be updated. I wonder if you could get it to update if it would reset the IP for ya?
If your mac is still getting internet though your fine, just need to figure out what the IP is now for the apex.

Could also try to buy a long ethernet cable to run from apex to router. Just use it to try and fix this issue and when you need to update. Get it plugged in so its online will probably be the fix.

you may need to contact Neptune and open a ticket.
I was using gaming adapters but the reason I have to use my laptop at the moment is because those gaming adapters failed and at the moment I cannot hardwire the apex to the router (working on that though). I have opened a ticket with neptune before but I don't think the issue is the controller, I'm becoming more and more certain I messed up my laptop or the cable port's ability to communicate with it.

Sorry for the headaches guys, when we fix this no more "tech Ideas" from me... I really appreciate all the help though!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the apex jr to the router and hardwire it to the router just so you can see if you can see the ip address that way? I don't know how hard it is to temporarily unplug the main part of the apex so maybe that isn't an easy task.

Do you have access to a windows laptop or computer, such as a work laptop that you could temporarily plug the apex to and try and get the ip address?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at my old house my apex was far away from the router. I purchased a super long ethernet cord I could temporarily run from tank to router when I needed to update or something. when done I would just roll it back up and put away and put my gaming adapter back on. In new house know we built so had hardwired ports installed in the room now.
But right now its going to be difficult to fix if it is not getting a internet connection. you need to get it connected to router or maybe plugging back into laptop will work if you are getting wifi to the laptop. On the apex hub I believe when its connect a green light will come on. Then you should be able to locate the IP address. Or go get another gaming adapter asap.

If you go to the apex display and open the network settings and find IP address, is it something like 10.0.0.13 or something???? I think that's what the factory setting one is. I have not seen it start with 0 though, I think above you said 0.0.0.0 or something? that is not right. It makes me thing the IP was erased. So you now will probably need to change it in the Apex display (if that is what it says, you can message me an image of display if you want and I will try to assist). Once you change the apex display IP it should/may then recognize it when you put that IP into your search bar on MAC when trying to log in. If it is all 0's. I would change it on the APEX display to 10.0.0.13 for now. The next part is your HTTP port, what is it? Before my IP changed I use to have to log in by typing the IP and backslash port (example: 10.0.0.13/80). So if entering the IP alone doesn't work, try the IP/port number. If this doesn't work I would try to enter your own so change IP to 10.0.0.16 or 13 and make port 80. Save it. then try to log in through Mac.
:) :) :) now if that doesn't work you need to contact Neptune and or determine if there is an issue with the Mac. Will be much easier though if you can get apex plugged into router!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALRIGHT I FIGURED IT OUT!

I went into the TCP/IP and got the IPv4 address and the subnet mask, re entered those values into where I had removed them and once again I can now hardwire my laptop to my apex and control it from there. Thank you to everyone who contributed! Hopefully if this ever happens to someone else they'll be able to find this although I hope no one has too ;Hilarious

samjonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Download the Apex Flash Utility
Connect an ethernet cable directly to it
Launch the app
The IP address assigned to the Apex is displayed
Thanks for sharing this great information with us, it will be very helpful for me and many other people.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back