I think I ripped the power cable out of the back of my AI Prime, can I fix it?

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty ticked at myself. My 12" gooseneck came in today, I had to order it because I could only find the 18" locally 18" was too long.

As I was putting it on the tank, I started screwing my Prime into the gooseneck while the gooseneck was over the tank. Because of this the power cord was wrapping around the gooseneck- I had planned to untangle when I was done and I stupidly never thought that it would over tighten and rip off.. I heard a noise, and immediately knew what it was. I untangled the wire and connected the power and no luck.

I found a disassembly video for the Prime on YouTube but I think the Prime HD is different than the OG. When I unscrewed the 3 screws the top cover came off and the heatsinks were exposed while the LED puck and all the internal stuff were still encased. I have the original Prime and not the HD.

I am hoping to pull it apart and resolder the wires if possible. Any help is appreciated.

DDanis60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any input. Just came to say I've been in these situations and hope the best. Good luck and bump for your thread.

OP
OP
Nooonan

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Luckily it was pretty easy.. I removed the 3 outer screws, the bottom came off and immediately I saw a plug or port on the internals (like a microchip- no idea what else to call it) that was missing a plug and the opposite end still in the bottom part of the lights housing. Very easy fix, I was expecting to have to resolder the wire but it just plugs right in.

Thanks again.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back