OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It was nutrients and light causing algae. But since you can't have one without the other, the blackout has interferred with it. Now you need to figure out how to control nutrients. Unless your tank has not fully cycled, in which case you need to be patient and let it run its course. As long as you have a steady nutrient supply. Do you have any small fish yet?

Only fish I have is two maroon clowns. What do you mean by nutrients? (Silly question :p )

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish I have is two maroon clowns. What do you mean by nutrients? (Silly question :p )
Nah its all good dude. Nutrients refers to the addition of organic compounds in the form of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You must have ammonia coming in so thay you culture baterica to convert it to nitrite and nitrate. Once this bacteria is complete the only job left is to remove nitrate by means of water change/skim/mechanical filtration.

With 2 maroons this should be taken care of tho.

But if cycling is not complete you don't want to remove the ammonia before the bacteria have time to grow and convert it.
This is usually why extremely hard fish are used to cycle a tank. Maroons are pretty hard tho and have made it this far so IMO they should be just fine.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah its all good dude. Nutrients refers to the addition of organic compounds in the form of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You must have ammonia coming in so thay you culture baterica to convert it to nitrite and nitrate. Once this bacteria is complete the only job left is to remove nitrate by means of water change/skim/mechanical filtration.

With 2 maroons this should be taken care of tho.

But if cycling is not complete you don't want to remove the ammonia before the bacteria have time to grow and convert it.
This is usually why extremely hard fish are used to cycle a tank. Maroons are pretty hard tho and have made it this far so IMO they should be just fine.

Ah okay! They'll be okay tho right? I don't want to be cruel by making them go thru something they shouldn't lol

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay! They'll be okay tho right? I don't want to be cruel by making them go thru something they shouldn't lol
Nah man they've made it this far. As long as something doesn't go way out if wack really quickly then they should be fine. Wait for the other posters to wake up and they will give you more insight. I don't want to skew the info they have already given

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ib
Nah man they've made it this far. As long as something doesn't go way out if wack really quickly then they should be fine. Wait for the other posters to wake up and they will give you more insight. I don't want to skew the info they have already given
Get off at 11/12pm as well so I know you are looking for all the stimuli you can get lol. Just wait tho, they will post tmrw.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the lights off all day. Turned them on for about 5 minutes and turned back off.
So.. all the algea has either turned gray, or has been mowed down by my ceriths, nerites and turbos . There's none left on the bottom .and the gray stuff is just flaking off . After a few days when the lights go back on, will it all come back? :/
Also, my maroon clowns where hanging out on top of one of my corals! I had my gf put the male back in to see if he will be okay this afternoon . Are they just groggy from sleeping or does that seem like they might be nice?

IMG_20181015_225014.jpg

keep the lights off until Friday.

It's possible that taking the clown out has reset their pecking order. Or it's possible that the squabbling will continue. I am in a similar situation with a Yellow Tang that's a mean guy to my Tomini and Hippo tang. I'm thinking about trading him in for a much smaller yellow or just leaving the yellow tang out of the tank all together and getting a Foxface for my yellow fish.

Algae needs light to live, for photosynthesis. No light, no photosynthesis = death. This is where the water changes, changing the socks daily and skimming come into play. after the 5 days, the algae should be mostly pulled back. You hit it with a 50% water change (you can always make up the rodi water now, and wednesday or thursday start adding in your salt that way it's ready for friday), and in theory...your nutrient levels are half of what they were. Test the water now, and notate the Nitrate and Phosphate levels, 3 days later, do another 50% water change, test the water about 2 hours after the change. Things should be significantly lower. If still elevated, let's plan for another large water change. The water changes will lower the nutrients that the remaining algae has to feed on, and that then should dissipate.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's possible that taking the clown out has reset their pecking order. Or it's possible that the squabbling will continue. I am in a similar situation with a Yellow Tang that's a mean guy to my Tomini and Hippo tang. I'm thinking about trading him in for a much smaller yellow or just leaving the yellow tang out of the tank all together and getting a Foxface for my yellow fish.

Algae needs light to live, for photosynthesis. No light, no photosynthesis = death. This is where the water changes, changing the socks daily and skimming come into play. after the 5 days, the algae should be mostly pulled back. You hit it with a 50% water change (you can always make up the rodi water now, and wednesday or thursday start adding in your salt that way it's ready for friday), and in theory...your nutrient levels are half of what they were. Test the water now, and notate the Nitrate and Phosphate levels, 3 days later, do another 50% water change, test the water about 2 hours after the change. Things should be significantly lower. If still elevated, let's plan for another large water change. The water changes will lower the nutrients that the remaining algae has to feed on, and that then should dissipate.
Agree with this..

You'll get algae back, but every great reef tank has algae.. it is just under control from the inhabitants.

Let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181016_091640.jpg

Just went to check on things, and turned the lights back off right away . The water is really really cloudy. What caused that? :(

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome thanks you!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is to be expected and will most likely get worse. Just ignore it for now.

It's dying algae and bacteria blooming. In my experience.

Don't check it anymore. It'll worry you to death. Just ignore the display tank until the dark period is over.

Do a water change right before you turn the lights on and make sure you keep the evaporation topped off with fresh water everyday.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is to be expected and will most likely get worse. Just ignore it for now.

It's dying algae and bacteria blooming. In my experience.

Don't check it anymore. It'll worry you to death. Just ignore the display tank until the dark period is over.

Do a water change right before you turn the lights on and make sure you keep the evaporation topped off with fresh water everyday.

So.. for water changes and all, what's a good way to measure salt or how do I know how much to put in the rodi water? Right now I have my rodi unit attached to a wall by my sink and I fill a clean 22 gallon trash can with it. I always guess on how much salt to use.. I really don't know how to do it correctly. I have a refractometer to check it so I eventually get it right.. i do use a powerhead to circulate over night tho. Is that good?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with instant ocean, a good rule for me since I use this salt on my biocube is to go with 1/2 cup per gallon. I'll add more salt if needed or take some out in 1/2 gallon increments and fill with rodi water until I get the salinity I need.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while my tank is doing it's thing till Friday.
I wanna come up with a new stocking. My maroons are back to being butt heads. I can see it even in the dark. So I'm gonna re-home them.
I really want green chromis. Maybe idk like 4. What are some other peaceful fish that would be compatible?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while my tank is doing it's thing till Friday.
I wanna come up with a new stocking. My maroons are back to being butt heads. I can see it even in the dark. So I'm gonna re-home them.
I really want green chromis. Maybe idk like 4. What are some other peaceful fish that would be compatible?

Could do a pair of designer clowns or general ocelaris clowns. Wrasses. I would avoid tangs as they would outgrow your tank quickly. Blennys. Goby. Royal gramma.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the snowflake clowns or black ocellaris clowns are awesome. If I didn’t have a pair I would totally get a new pair.

You could get a small tang like a Kole or a Tomini.

Some flasher wrasse males are on my 120 stocking list. A Midas Blenny. Very cool, active fish with personality.

Chromis, I hear any group will end up with 1

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm . Azure damsels look cool! I do like the sound of tangs so I'm gonna go look them up . :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back