I think i'm going to be sick...flat worm exit might have just nuked my entire 300G tank.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are looking all pale, literally lost all color. My corals are all pale brown, not a single bit of color. Every single one of them shriveled up; 70+ SPS corals all look to be dead or so discolored they will take years to color up again.

I am shocked, loss for words at how bad this nuked my tank. :(

I'm sure my fish will eventually die, I thought I did a good job picking up all the worms and water changing/carbon. Guess not.

Literally sick to my stomach. I think i'm done; tank going down and wall closed up by next weekend done.

EDIT: I want to update this to let future searchers know that it was NOT flatworm exit that poisoned my tank and that it was in fact the toxins from the worms themselves.

To prevent making my mistake in the future, you must know that when you have lots of rockwork there will be flat worms that you can't always see. Flatworm exit did it's job and killed the worms, it was my inability to realize there were so many hidden deep under and in my rocks that I could not have recovered from the toxins.

Don't feel you just need to suck up what's on the rocks/sandbed it's not enough. I even shined flashlights in the sand to try to concentrate them and there were still so many in the rocks.

Let MY problem prevent one for you in the future! Good luck!

Last edited:

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm certainly sorry that you're experiencing this distress sounds a bit unfair to blame a product for doing its job. What you're likely dealing with is the release of toxins from the dying works, and not some adverse effect from the product itself.

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever heard of corals de-coloring that fast? Like I have bright neon green SPS colonies that are tan right now. Is it safe to assume they are dead or may take months/years to color back up?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever heard of corals de-coloring that fast? Like I have bright neon green SPS colonies that are tan right now. Is it safe to assume they are dead or may take months/years to color back up?
Hard to say. Going to depend on the coras health before the accident. Def run massive carbon and air.
Find melevs reefs and look at the few walk through. The sooner you act the more success you'll have

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to net my PBT who is swimming all lethargic...not sure if I can save him. Should I give any treatments to the bath or anything like Pazipro?

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm real sorry and know how you feel. I just went through a tank crash. Lost 19 fish and 99% of my mixed reef. Only thing that survived were some zoas, a toadstool and an anenome(not sure how it made it). I wish my tank was back up and running and full of coral again so I could frag it and get you going again. But, like someone said, try to get the skimmer going, add carbon and do major water changes and hopefully you can save some livestock and coral.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't count your corals out, don't stop now! If waterchanges aren't available, skim wet with as much air as you can push through the skimmer, preferably with an airline outside. Use lots of activated carbon, and I'd even try to use something like purigen/poly filters as well. Soak up as much of the med/poison from the worms as you can. I'd do waterchanges when as you have the water available.

Don't quit now brother! ;):)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing oxygen in the water should help boost pH - are you running your skimmer again yet?

As a last-resort band-aid, a buffer might help.

Agree with everyone above who said "water change", understanding that's not easy with a tank the size of yours . . .

Fingers crossed that you pull through this with minimal losses.

~Bruce

Back