I think I'm on to something. Am I crazy?

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this experiment! @esther ! I'm curious, do you use anything to scrub the eraser without putting your whole arm in the tank? This is the only reason I hesitate to use magic erasers... I am not a fan of salty arms and angry corals :p

roxanne1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to say you’re crazy for putting a magic eraser into your tank. Chemical cleaners and fish tanks generally don’t mix. Has it not killed everything in your tank???
I use a magic eraser to clean the glass in my 200 gallon reef aquarium too.

roxanne1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 Update : No algae on glass. Crystal clear!

image.jpg
LOL! That’s my tank too!!!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this experiment! @esther ! I'm curious, do you use anything to scrub the eraser without putting your whole arm in the tank? This is the only reason I hesitate to use magic erasers... I am not a fan of salty arms and angry corals :p
You can buy the thin magic eraser sheets. I think they are 4x6 and about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. They will fit in between your algae magnets.
Magic_Eraser_Sheets_16_flat 012419.png

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learn something new every day. When I first had a used tank that I needed to clean up I considered using Magic Eraser. I had been reading about not introducing soap into the aquarium so I shied away when I listened to advertisements that it contained something that was activated by water. I thought that I had dodged a bullet. thank you guys!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learn something new every day. When I first had a used tank that I needed to clean up I considered using Magic Eraser. I had been reading about not introducing soap into the aquarium so I shied away when I listened to advertisements that it contained something that was activated by water. I thought that I had dodged a bullet. thank you guys!
I have used it for years on acrylic. It works wonders for cleaning a sump or used acrylic equipment.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at Sochting oxydators, there is a r2r thread, I think the extension between having to clean the glass is the peroxide, I have used them for years and have never dosed peroxide by the drop just in case.
What % peroxide are you using?

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at Sochting oxydators, there is a r2r thread, I think the extension between having to clean the glass is the peroxide, I have used them for years and have never dosed peroxide by the drop just in case.
What % peroxide are you using?

Just the every day 4% store brand.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with using magic erasers in the tank is the residue that comes off them when you scrub. Sounds like the material itself is benign so maybe it doesn't matter and it'll all get filtered out.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with using magic erasers in the tank is the residue that comes off them when you scrub. Sounds like the material itself is benign so maybe it doesn't matter and it'll all get filtered out.

We replace them regularly. Have had no issues with residues.

sabz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. Just one question, I have a 35 gallon tank and in a 4 month long war with GHA...I have tried everything from not feeding for a week to turning off my lights for 3 days in a row...never tried peroxide. Should I try it and what dosage formula should I go by? TIA

20200403_144448.jpg 20200403_144350.jpg 20200403_144253.jpg 20200403_144311.jpg

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to say you’re crazy for putting a magic eraser into your tank. Chemical cleaners and fish tanks generally don’t mix. Has it not killed everything in your tank???

Its well documented that magic erasers are great for cleaning tank walls. How have you not seen this yet? Lots of people do this.

Royy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. Just one question, I have a 35 gallon tank and in a 4 month long war with GHA...I have tried everything from not feeding for a week to turning off my lights for 3 days in a row...never tried peroxide. Should I try it and what dosage formula should I go by? TIA
H2o2 will work on GHA. I use the normal 3% you buy from the pharmacy. Turn off all pumps so there is no water movement. Use a pipette to apply the H2O2 directly to the GHA. It’s kind of cool to watch. You will see the bubbles coming from the algae as it is oxidized. After 5 minutes or so, turn your pumps back on. Common belief is 1 ml per 10 gallons. So my 40 gallon should be around 5ml when the sump is included. Well this was just not a lot of H2O2, so I began dosing more and more. I ended up doing 30ml a day and there was no issues. The only thing is that shrimp are very sensitive to H2O2. It will kill them if they go into the area you dose.

sabz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 will work on GHA. I use the normal 3% you buy from the pharmacy. Turn off all pumps so there is no water movement. Use a pipette to apply the H2O2 directly to the GHA. It’s kind of cool to watch. You will see the bubbles coming from the algae as it is oxidized. After 5 minutes or so, turn your pumps back on. Common belief is 1 ml per 10 gallons. So my 40 gallon should be around 5ml when the sump is included. Well this was just not a lot of H2O2, so I began dosing more and more. I ended up doing 30ml a day and there was no issues. The only thing is that shrimp are very sensitive to H2O2. It will kill them if they go into the area you dose.
I have a fire shrimp that has been in my tank for 2 years now...So what you're saying is that dont just dose the tank?

Royy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire shrimp that has been in my tank for 2 years now...So what you're saying is that dont just dose the tank?
My peppermint was fine until I upped the dose. The H2O2 threads seem to all point towards shrimp not doing well. I wouldn’t do it unless you are willing to potentially lose the shrimp. Mine was fine for a long time before I upped the dose. No other animals, including fish, corals, crabs, or snails, seem to be bothered.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back