I think it’s velvet

fishmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank had low temps for 48 hours it was 74 when I discovered the issue. The spots on the tang went from single digits to tons in the days since. I am working on trapping the fish in the tank but want confirmation on what to treat with once I do catch them.

10A32B12-C250-4EE0-8206-C9BDABCD0621.jpeg CBC9A7EA-BE2F-4DBC-AD21-A876DB2A1243.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like ich to me. Do you see mucus and very rapid breathing? These characteristics are common with velvet. Both are treated the same. A QT with copper for 30 days (see link below), and keep the DT fallow(fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks.

OP
OP
fishmandan

fishmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like ich to me. Do you see mucus and very rapid breathing? These characteristics are common with velvet. Both are treated the same. A QT with copper for 30 days (see link below), and keep the DT fallow(fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks.
I have seen some mucus shedding and respiration is normal for now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank had low temps for 48 hours it was 74 when I discovered the issue. The spots on the tang went from single digits to tons in the days since. I am working on trapping the fish in the tank but want confirmation on what to treat with once I do catch them.

10A32B12-C250-4EE0-8206-C9BDABCD0621.jpeg CBC9A7EA-BE2F-4DBC-AD21-A876DB2A1243.jpeg
Pic a little dark but mucus spots suggest cryptocaryon (marine ich)
Need clearer pic under white lighting to confirm and recommend treatment
Is fish eating?
Is it breathing rapid or normal?
Is it swimming in front of power heads?

OP
OP
fishmandan

fishmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic a little dark but mucus spots suggest cryptocaryon (marine ich)
Need clearer pic under white lighting to confirm and recommend treatment
Is fish eating?
Is it breathing rapid or normal?
Is it swimming in front of power heads?
Eating, breathing, and swimming are all normal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Eating, breathing, and swimming are all normal.
I was able to view this on a larger screen and convinced not velvet but marine ich. Quarantine tank necessary as is treatment using either copper ower or coppersafe at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days and monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand- not Api. Additionally monitor ammonia with reliable kit and increase oxygen with air stone. The concern I have is your display tank as the occupants within are exposed to ich and the display tank will have to be fishless (fallow0 for a full 6-8 weeks to assure the trophants have gone thru their life cycle and have died off.

OP
OP
fishmandan

fishmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to view this on a larger screen and convinced not velvet but marine ich. Quarantine tank necessary as is treatment using either copper ower or coppersafe at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days and monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand- not Api. Additionally monitor ammonia with reliable kit and increase oxygen with air stone. The concern I have is your display tank as the occupants within are exposed to ich and the display tank will have to be fishless (fallow0 for a full 6-8 weeks to assure the trophants have gone thru their life cycle and have died off.
Thank you.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are very covered with the bugs. I suggest you also purchase Hydroplex and give them a 10 minute saltwater dip which is low stress and kills the bugs on their bodies. They will still need the long term copper treatment. Note you can also use Seachem Cupramine. BRS, Chewy and Amazon (and maybe your LFS) carry Hydroplex. It saved 3 of my fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back