I think my anemone just killed my watchmen goby

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a normal routine cleaning and water change today. Everyone in the tank was perfectly healthy eating well and doing their usual routine.
about an hour ago or so, i was sitting near my tank on my laptop and happened to glance over and all of a sudden i see my long tentacle anemone just shoot straight up like a balloon and then he got tossed around from the powerhead. he settled down in this cave-ish area where my diamond watchmen goby's mole hole was. now the goby was out and about just doing his usual sandsifting job and then he went to go back towards his hole and noticed the anemone. he just stared at it for a moment then went about his business. i went and sat down to watch about 30 minutes of tv with my wife. i came back over to the tank just to check and see if everything was ok and in the back of the tank i see the goby head down, tail straight in the air not doing anything. i tapped the glass... nothing. so i went in with the net, touched him... no movement. everything else in the tank is fine. other fish all acting normal. all corals appear normal, open and colorful. gonna test the water parameters just to make sure but, I think the poor guy tried to get back into his spot and the anemone must have stung him good. could i be wrong?

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a sting would do it as opposed to him being partially ingested, suffocated, and then released? how big is the anemone?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and do you have a glass top?

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about the size of a fist. its just weird, the goby showed nice sign of anything wrong. hes been in the tank for about 3-4 months.

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weirdest fish death i have ever encountered. like he was doing all his normal routine. i basically sat down long enough to eat a bowl of ice cream and watched a few minutes of tv. i came back, dead!

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nem stings on fish usually look like black specks or spots of pepper. If the fish is clean I doubt again that it's from that.

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a fairly small green chromis just go missing over night about 2 months ago. never found a body. so i think he was the culprit. little guy probably went to sleep somewhere near him and got eaten by him. the anemone probably got a little annoyed because i changed the direction of the powerheads slightly after cleaning the tank today and decided to move. because he has had himself parked in the same spot for almost 6 months. probably my fault for this.

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said your levels are fine, but ya didn't go into much detail, what is your ph as well as nitrates and phos?

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a fairly small green chromis just go missing over night about 2 months ago. never found a body. so i think he was the culprit. little guy probably went to sleep somewhere near him and got eaten by him. the anemone probably got a little annoyed because i changed the direction of the powerheads slightly after cleaning the tank today and decided to move. because he has had himself parked in the same spot for almost 6 months. probably my fault for this.
I doubt it, and even if so, it's not your fault. Anemones are quite unpredictable as for their movements. Can't really predict that.

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said your levels are fine, but ya didn't go into much detail, what is your ph as well as nitrates and phos?
ph right now is 8.2. surprisingly... my phosphates are way up normally at .03 now at .36 not sure how this happened. used hanna checker. i'm running other tests now. dam it! how the heck did i miss this?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back