OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone concerned about the blue light affecting their child? Not trying to raise an alarm or parent shame at all, just curious if you do anything about it.

I'd go ahead and bite the bullet on an Innovative Marine/Waterbox 10 in her room. You'll love it, she'll love it, it's a win-win.
I think if you run a normal daylight schedule it shouldn't. We have one of those hatch noise/light machines. Supposedly you want them to nap during the day with some light to keep there rythm in sync with day/night.

Conrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a Seahorse tank in my 4 month old daughters room. The reason being a seahorse tank is that it doesn't require much flow and it will have an xr15 radion on it for growing softies that turns on early in the morning and shuts down early in the evening. I dont' see any issues with them having a tank if its quiet or has a little white noise as mine needs white noise to sleep uninterrupted. Also make sure its a sealed top on it and mine will be plumbed to the basement so no water changes or anything is happening in the room for convenience. But I'm all about auto water changes and zero maintenance where possible.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I would be concerned about the blue light source in her room.

Having a tank where she can engage in elsewhere would be great. But I would not have it in her room. On my phone I use the Twilight app to reduce blue light. There is not enough evidence to out there out there to say it can be harmful (or not). So I would not risk it , until we know more about the effects of blue lights on the eye. An infant or young child might stare at a tank for prolonged periods - much longer than an adult (or older child engaged in other activities).

Also as others have mentioned, as she grows- kids can surprise you with what they can get into. She might climb up and get into trouble with the tank. Get her a tank, just place in another room until she is old enough to be unsupervised with one.

Development stages are very important. So you are right to share your tank with her. Tank keeping builds background in biology, chemistry - so many fields. I used to teach 1st grade, so I am all about letting kids be actively engaged with fun activities that help them expand their knowledge. My little nieces love my tank! Their grandmom is a marine biologist & my nieces have a Biocube. But not in their rooms due to concerns above.

Back