I think my BTA has finally given up

peachypie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve had this anemone for just over a week I bought it from petco (I know not that reputable but it seemed very healthy and I felt comfortable with it) and it’s been acting awfully peculiar ever since. About once or twice a day for a few hours it’s tentacles shrivel up completely and turn neon green, it flattens out completely, and the mouth swells up and starts to gape a bit. At first I wasn’t too concerned because I had read that they do that to adjust to water parameters and expel waste, and that some seem to just do it on the regular oddly enough. But it’s been over a week now and it’s looking the worst it has. Totally shriveled up and the mouth looks so open and inflated it looks inside out. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do to save it. I haven’t tried feeding it yet because people seem very divided if that helps or hurts in a situation like that. Thanks for your help!

parameters
Ammonia 0.00 ppm
Nitrites 0.00 ppm
Nitrates 5-10 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Temperature 78 F
Fluval Evo 13.5 stock lighting
(the first picture is what it looks like right now the worst it’s ever been and the second is how it normally looks during one of it’s episodes)

61867C05-2BAB-49F4-8B60-060848277870.jpeg
066915F0-167C-4338-8218-D3F8C0E6C1F9.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank ?
The stock light in the evo isn’t sufficient enough for an anemone

OP
OP
P

peachypie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank ?
The stock light in the evo isn’t sufficient enough for an anemone
Only a month which I know is a cardinal sin with anemones but I wasn’t aware how important a mature tank was until after I’d gotten it. I’ve been trying to compensate by keeping the parameters stable but that isn’t seeming to work. Is there another cheap light I could get that would work for an emergency tank if it comes to that?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones dont do cheap. Sorry, but either get what you need, or this will keep happening. 100 dollar light ain't gonna cut it unless you want to put the nemmie 1cm from the surface and it still maybe die.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maturity of the tank is what concerns me... It's a softie so the lighting isn't nearly as crucial as it would be for a sps... I would look at phosphates, salinity, ammonia and nitrate/nitrite numbers... Your not asking about sps so calcium, magnesium, alkalinity isn't gonna affect it nearly as much... Yes, nems are weird acting, and if they don't like the lighting, they will release thier foot and move... I would keep my salinity at 1.025. Keep an eye on the other things I listed. And feed half a cube of mysis shrimp(thawed) a day... your tank isn't very mature... period... and nems are the first to react to water conditions not being right... So I'm praying for ya. But I think you added it a bit premature...

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my 2 rose nems. Been keeping anenomes for roughly 15 years... so I know a little bit about them...

Attachments

• 1611525960142444497337.jpg
    1611525960142444497337.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
P

peachypie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maturity of the tank is what concerns me... It's a softie so the lighting isn't nearly as crucial as it would be for a sps... I would look at phosphates, salinity, ammonia and nitrate/nitrite numbers... Your not asking about sps so calcium, magnesium, alkalinity isn't gonna affect it nearly as much... Yes, nems are weird acting, and if they don't like the lighting, they will release thier foot and move... I would keep my salinity at 1.025. Keep an eye on the other things I listed. And feed half a cube of mysis shrimp(thawed) a day... your tank isn't very mature... period... and nems are the first to react to water conditions not being right... So I'm praying for ya. But I think you added it a bit premature...
First let me just say your anemones are beautiful! And I agree I definitely added it prematurely and it’s a mistake I will never make again this has been quite the rollercoaster. I’ll order a phosphate test right away and try to up there salinity to what you suggested. Would chunks of frozen shrimp work to feed it with? I’ve heard a lot of people use that and I know I have that available. And one last question should I wait until it looks closer to normal to try and feed it or is it ok while it looks a bit rougher. I really appreciate all the responses I hope to try and fix this blunder!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a month which I know is a cardinal sin with anemones but I wasn’t aware how important a mature tank was until after I’d gotten it. I’ve been trying to compensate by keeping the parameters stable but that isn’t seeming to work. Is there another cheap light I could get that would work for an emergency tank if it comes to that?
You can definitely keep and grown a anemone under cheap lights like an aquaknight. I’ve keep sps and bubble tips with the aquakight no problem

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cal and mag, to be fair not so much.

But let alk swing and let me know how it goes.
It's well known you need a lot of light for nemmies....please don't give out false information.

That said, you CAN keep nemmies in less than stellar lighting, but you have to supplement with feeding. And that's what they aren't saying.

Again, let your alk swing or keep it in cheap lighting without feeding it somehow and let me know how that goes for you.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll flex too heheh. My nemmies don't move. They stay on that rock, they split the babies move, but usually come join the rest.

Believe whoever you want to believe.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_172301.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172301.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20210124_172250.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172250.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210124_172244.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172244.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210124_172237.jpg
    IMG_20210124_172237.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 39

WizzWolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may do better if you feed, being for salenhe was probably also not fed for weeks. Piece of shrimp for little buddy

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back