I think my clownfish is dying

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am brand new to this. I have a 10g tank with live sand and dead rock that I cycled in December and January. The ammonia and nitrites went up and then down and I got nitrates so I’m pretty sure it cycled. I added a snowflake clownfish and guardian Gobie and more recently a sandsifter gobie. My ammonia never really goes below .25 on the API test strips. A few days ago (right after adding the sandsifter gobie) the clownfish started acting odd. Hanging out down in the sand and hiding under the rocks. None of my water parameters are any different than they have been (pH 8.0, nitrites 0, ammonia 0.25). Now my clownfish is completely hidden, I assume to find a comfortable place to die. I feel so bad! I brought some water to my pet store and they confirmed my readings and suggested it could be from the ammonia. Should I use a product like ammo lock or a filter that traps ammonia? I’m worried about my gobies. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am brand new to this. I have a 10g tank with live sand and dead rock that I cycled in December and January. The ammonia and nitrites went up and then down and I got nitrates so I’m pretty sure it cycled. I added a snowflake clownfish and guardian Gobie and more recently a sandsifter gobie. My ammonia never really goes below .25 on the API test strips. A few days ago (right after adding the sandsifter gobie) the clownfish started acting odd. Hanging out down in the sand and hiding under the rocks. None of my water parameters are any different than they have been (pH 8.0, nitrites 0, ammonia 0.25). Now my clownfish is completely hidden, I assume to find a comfortable place to die. I feel so bad! I brought some water to my pet store and they confirmed my readings and suggested it could be from the ammonia. Should I use a product like ammo lock or a filter that traps ammonia? I’m worried about my gobies. Thanks!
I guess what I want to know is should I use something to lower the ammonia or will that ruin the natural cycle if/when that happens?

jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hope he is still alive. I’m also new to saltwater but been doing freshwater aquascaping for about 9 years and from what I know I would do a 50% water change to split those ammonia readings by half and then also add some beneficial bacteria to help eat up some of the remaining ammonia. In my opinion That’s the fastest solution continues to monitor the readings and if they continue to rise do and 25% water change every other day

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back