I think my Emerald Crabs are Broken...

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some bubble algae pop up in my little Evo, so I thought I'd pick up a few Emerald Crabs to knock it out and maybe help with some of the GHA I have as well. Well, I bought four and haven't seen them since I put them in about 3 days ago. And...it doesn't appear they have even taken a nibble of the bubble algae. SMH...I think they are broken!

20210307_102916.jpg

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had emeralds eat bubble algae either. My experience has been pick off the big clusters, net any floaters and don't get too worked up about it. When my tank matured they didn't disappear but they became much less prolific.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered why multiple times a day for weeks now it looks like this. Well now I have my answer and will be removing my emerald crab just like all other crabs they are now band from my reefs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 57

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I took a video so you could see how violent he tore the tentacles off and how much goo and puffs of clouds came out of torn tentacles

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had no luck with them eating the bubble algae.. I had a foxface if it was floating around the bubble algae he would for it... if not nothing lol...

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had emeralds eat bubble algae either. My experience has been pick off the big clusters, net any floaters and don't get too worked up about it. When my tank matured they didn't disappear but they became much less prolific.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I've had this tank running for about a year and a half, and unless it gets overrun with bubble algae I'm not to worried. I was hoping a few emerald crabs would eat em right up though!! :D

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I've had this tank running for about a year and a half, and unless it gets overrun with bubble algae I'm not to worried. I was hoping a few emerald crabs would eat em right up though!! :D
Nope will just eat your corals...

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look large enough to remove them from the rock with tweezers or your fingers. I am curious to know if anyone on this website has ever had any luck with emerald crabs eating their bubble algae?

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look large enough to remove them from the rock with tweezers or your fingers. I am curious to know if anyone on this website has ever had any luck with emerald crabs eating their bubble algae?
I might try to scrape a few and see what happens. I don't want to break them open though, so if they don't come off easy I'll just leave them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if there is other food they might prefer that.
My filefish wouldn't touch the aptasia until I stopped feeding every day.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that breaking the bubble algae open is a big problem just do it during a water change and try to remove as much particles that you can see even if you do not remove all of them at one time you can target them I have picked them out using tweezers and sucked them out when they are small with a 1/4 inch air tube.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back