I think my Flame Hawkfish was hit by 1 of the tentacles of my pink tube anemone

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 95% positive my Flame Hawkfish ran into at least 1 tentacle from my pink tube anemone 2 days ago. He didn’t initially seem close enough to get touched by the tentacle; but when he immediately zipped away and around the back of the tank…I realized I’ve never seen him move that fast. Any who, he ate a little this morning but wasn’t being a bully like he usually does at feeding time. Additionally, he stopped eating really soon. Which is not normal. His red looks faded on certain parts of his body. I’m really not sure what to think. Any ideas? He’s also lingering in the back of the tank. He usually stays out front and center. I can’t get a pic of him because he’s hiding. Ugh!

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been stung, but honestly most of the real anemones that we keep in our tanks pack more of a punch then tubes, and their actually filter feeders not fish killers like say a haddoni. He’ll be fine I’m sure. I have a blenny that swims all over one of my tubes with seemingly no I’ll effects. Of course he flirts with the Nems in the tank also and steels food from them from time to time.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 95% positive my Flame Hawkfish ran into at least 1 tentacle from my pink tube anemone 2 days ago. He didn’t initially seem close enough to get touched by the tentacle; but when he immediately zipped away and around the back of the tank…I realized I’ve never seen him move that fast. Any who, he ate a little this morning but wasn’t being a bully like he usually does at feeding time. Additionally, he stopped eating really soon. Which is not normal. His red looks faded on certain parts of his body. I’m really not sure what to think. Any ideas? He’s also lingering in the back of the tank. He usually stays out front and center. I can’t get a pic of him because he’s hiding. Ugh!
I agree, that anemone shouldn’t cause any lasting damage. My concern is that sometimes, cause and effect aren’t so clear - so the hawk fish may have gotten stung, but the behavior change could be caused by something else, so keep a close eye on it.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been stung, but honestly most of the real anemones that we keep in our tanks pack more of a punch then tubes, and their actually filter feeders not fish killers like say a haddoni. He’ll be fine I’m sure. I have a blenny that swims all over one of my tubes with seemingly no I’ll effects. Of course he flirts with the Nems in the tank also and steels food from them from time to time.
I agree, that anemone shouldn’t cause any lasting damage. My concern is that sometimes, cause and effect aren’t so clear - so the hawk fish may have gotten stung, but the behavior change could be caused by something else, so keep a close eye on it.
Jay
Thanks! This is good to hear. If I can catch him I’m going to move him to isolation. He’s a bit elusive at the moment. The other thing I didn’t mention but I don’t think is the issue is…..

I woke up and my Ruby Dragonet was dead in the powerhead; despite the powerhead having an extra protective grate over it (eye roll). I wouldn’t think that has much to do with the situation, but worth mentioning. My 2 clowns and Royal gramma all appear happy as usual.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is good to hear. If I can catch him I’m going to move him to isolation. He’s a bit elusive at the moment. The other thing I didn’t mention but I don’t think is the issue is…..

I woke up and my Ruby Dragonet was dead in the powerhead; despite the powerhead having an extra protective grate over it (eye roll). I wouldn’t think that has much to do with the situation, but worth mentioning. My 2 clowns and Royal gramma all appear happy as usual.
My experience is that healthy fish don’t get stuck to power heads, so there may be something going on here. Look for rapid breathing in the remaining fish, that is one symptom that is often missed.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that healthy fish don’t get stuck to power heads, so there may be something going on here. Look for rapid breathing in the remaining fish, that is one symptom that is often missed.
Jay
Interestingly, by mid day my hawkfish’s color went back to normal. Additionally, he stopped hiding at the back of the tank. I wonder if he chased my ruby into the powerhead. He may have ran into one of my bubble tip anemones in the process. All speculation of course. Lol!!!

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubes will and do pack a punch. Enough to make fish and inverts aware of their presence. I've seen a bunch of my fish meet the tube nems for the first time, usually with their mouth. I've never seen one meet it a second time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubes will and do pack a punch. Enough to make fish and inverts aware of their presence. I've seen a bunch of my fish meet the tube nems for the first time, usually with their mouth. I've never seen one meet it a second time.
Lol! At least they learn their lesson.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back