I think my harlequin shrimp is pregnant!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pair of harlequin shrimp. The largest female is probably two inches in size. The underside of her looks different. I think she is pregnant!? Was not fast enough to snap a picture of her underside. Gave the pairs a star and the harlequin female in question is now back in the cave. What do I do!? Anyone have any experience raising harlequin shrimp or what the female looks like when pregnant? Could not find much info online

B1FEE01D-CF05-4531-ABC2-A637C10085FD.jpeg 06361AC1-0A27-4DA9-BF29-78A363D50269.jpeg

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly that would be cool! How do you feed 2 pairs?! I couldn't figure out how to maintain chocolate chip starfish to feed them!
I know right! Babies would be cool! Feeding them? Expensive. I keep the starfish in the sump. Cost me around 50 bucks a month to feed them. Amazing creatures nonetheless

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! Babies would be cool! Feeding them? Expensive. I keep the starfish in the sump. Cost me around 50 bucks a month to feed them. Amazing creatures nonetheless
Ok well that is what I was doing too...I guess that must be the best option! Lol I still have 1 starfish that I didn't get fed to them...it has been living in the sump for a year!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not seeing clear enough to verify.
While most shrimp carry visible eggs in a sac , the harlequin looks like a golf ball due to body shape.

1590275846429.png

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing clear enough to verify.
While most shrimp carry visible eggs in a sac , the harlequin looks like a golf ball due to body shape.

1590275846429.png
The underside of the largest female looks different was not able to snap a picture since she moved but almost looked like an egg sac or egg sacks and looks larger underneath? Do you think she is pregnant?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The underside of the largest female looks different was not able to snap a picture since she moved but almost looked like an egg sac or egg sacks and looks larger underneath? Do you think she is pregnant?
if thats what you see- good probability. Harlequin shrimp typically will spawn after they molt every 18–24 days. Two hours after fertilization, they transfer their eggs into their abdomens giving them that round body. Depending on the size of the felame. they are capable of laying 200-4000 eggs which hatch in about 3 weeks .

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if thats what you see- good probability. Harlequin shrimp typically will spawn after they molt every 18–24 days. Two hours after fertilization, they transfer their eggs into their abdomens giving them that round body. Depending on the size of the felame. they are capable of laying 200-4000 eggs which hatch in about 3 weeks .
Thank you so much

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we have a pair breeding every 20 days or so.

The female climbs up to the top of the arch and flutters the babies out. Fish go crazy and the manderins especially love it!

Its really fun to watch.

I'll try to find a video in my folder.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a pair breeding every 20 days or so.

The female climbs up to the top of the arch and flutters the babies out. Fish go crazy and the manderins especially love it!

Its really fun to watch.

I'll try to find a video in my folder.
That is what I was thinking that they are soon to be zooplankton. Does the female release the eggs at a certain time like during the day or at night? Have you tried to raise some of them? Could not find too much info online. Found something that they eat baby brine which I hatch daily for my baby pipefish

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is what I was thinking that they are soon to be zooplankton. Does the female release the eggs at a certain time like during the day or at night? Have you tried to raise some of them? Could not find too much info online. Found something that they eat baby brine which I hatch daily for my baby pipefish
From the research and people we have talked to they eat rotifer, micro algea and yes brine shrimp eggs...once the brine shrimp hatch they are too fast so if you culture rotifers also then the babies will most likely survive. After that they will go through a few stages and then actually eat stars. The babies will be smaller than an astrinia star leg tip when they start feeding on stars.

They go through 12 stages I believe

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research and people we have talked to they eat rotifer, micro algea and yes brine shrimp eggs...once the brine shrimp hatch they are too fast so if you culture rotifers also then the babies will most likely survive. After that they will go through a few stages and then actually eat stars. The babies will be smaller than an astrinia star leg tip when they start feeding on stars.

They go through 12 stages I believe
Brine eggs with the shell or decapsulated eggs?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry have another question. Will the babies only eat asterina starfish? I read that juveniles will eat linckia starfish and I have several chocolate chip starfish on hand
[/QUOTE
To be honest thats a very good question...I would think any star would do. Now I'm intrigued and following to see what they go for!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back