I think my harlequin shrimp is pregnant!

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby harlequin shrimp just born!

274358DB-4A20-4BB3-A8CE-50C2CEA8B3B4.jpeg C01B3C8F-D533-4977-BD31-CF7E16BF3F45.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2730.MOV
    7.4 MB
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool...how did you siphon them? With a dropper?
Used a small mesh fish net and transferred them into a cup then reduced the water volume by straining them through a 53 micron sieve. I read somewhere that water bubbles from an air hose could kill them so I put them in a container with only about a 1/4’ of water so the water could get oxygen? Not sure what the heck I am doing? I do the same right after I hatch brine and they are able to live in the small water height without an airline. They are in the container bouncing around with the heater underneath with the heater in a pot of water. To the left is some newly hatched brine in a plastic bowl in a similar water height. Now I have to find some food fast! And my luck I had a culture of rotifers about two weeks ago but it crashed. Don’t have decapulated brine. Do have live phyto culturing. Do you think they will eat that till I get some rotifers?

E34268D6-37DC-433F-9FC9-9C9ED24ED8DE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I knew something was different. The large female was huge and for the last hour or two she has been out of the cave which she does not do and up on the rocks and was completely ignoring the starfish I gave them and now she is back in the cave and finally eating the starfish

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These baby shrimp sure are tiny. They almost kind of look like shrimp even at this size I think I can see two eyes and their shape is similar to the adult kind of a curve shape

EAFE5293-327B-46F3-9D75-CDFF7DA96878.jpeg 66584E68-60C0-4B79-A32E-74AB37534522.jpeg

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if thats what you see- good probability. Harlequin shrimp typically will spawn after they molt every 18–24 days. Two hours after fertilization, they transfer their eggs into their abdomens giving them that round body. Depending on the size of the felame. they are capable of laying 200-4000 eggs which hatch in about 3 weeks .
Mom and pop and babies!

5A04A74B-5F78-409A-8C6D-33936DAA6377.jpeg B56CBD1C-3B00-4355-9096-683422336AC8.jpeg CE2D710B-172F-4440-ADB4-33EB53A40A44.jpeg FB52B204-83F9-45EF-831D-2212F2C2321A.jpeg

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pair of harlequin shrimp. The largest female is probably two inches in size. The underside of her looks different. I think she is pregnant!? Was not fast enough to snap a picture of her underside. Gave the pairs a star and the harlequin female in question is now back in the cave. What do I do!? Anyone have any experience raising harlequin shrimp or what the female looks like when pregnant? Could not find much info online

B1FEE01D-CF05-4531-ABC2-A637C10085FD.jpeg 06361AC1-0A27-4DA9-BF29-78A363D50269.jpeg
She will carry a clutch of orange eggs, like any other Shrimp/Lobster, and these will be clearly visible, they will normally release at dusk/night, you may often see you fish, in the water column, eating the babies.

Hope this helps, my Harliquin regularly has eggs

Charles Raabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit dated but hope this helps. Was never able to determine / obtain the correctly sized food to get the larvae beyond a week old.

Mahogany1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. sorry for the blanket message.

I'm a wildlife producer making a film for National Geographic. I have set up a film shoot with these amazing shrimps for the end of the month and we want to film them molting and mating amongst other things. It's not easy but I have read some really useful stuff, principally from Chuck's amazing page but also some studies from the 1970's by Seibt.

Hobbyists have told me that spawning and molting is more likely to happen at night but the published research seems to suggest that it might happen at any time of day and that actually these animals are DAY active, which is odd. We have 5 pairs all set up and ready to go. Our aquarist hasn't noticed eggs on them up to this point, but from Chuck's page the eggs don't look particularly obvious (silver, rather than bright orange like some). Until now they were kept well fed and happy but in quite small holding tanks (20cmx20cm). They've now been transferred into our much larger 70x50x40 filming tanks. could the small tanks have been preventing them from spawning till now? Apparently the females are huge now so they should be sexually active.

Basically my questions are:

1) Are there any tips you would offer to maximise my chances of filming spawning behaviour?
2) If the shrimp pairs are indeed not spawning, is there anything we can do to encourage them to? They have about one more molt until our three week filming block occurs.

Any tips in general would be so helpful. Thanks all and sorry for the long message!

James

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. sorry for the blanket message.

I'm a wildlife producer making a film for National Geographic. I have set up a film shoot with these amazing shrimps for the end of the month and we want to film them molting and mating amongst other things. It's not easy but I have read some really useful stuff, principally from Chuck's amazing page but also some studies from the 1970's by Seibt.

Hobbyists have told me that spawning and molting is more likely to happen at night but the published research seems to suggest that it might happen at any time of day and that actually these animals are DAY active, which is odd. We have 5 pairs all set up and ready to go. Our aquarist hasn't noticed eggs on them up to this point, but from Chuck's page the eggs don't look particularly obvious (silver, rather than bright orange like some). Until now they were kept well fed and happy but in quite small holding tanks (20cmx20cm). They've now been transferred into our much larger 70x50x40 filming tanks. could the small tanks have been preventing them from spawning till now? Apparently the females are huge now so they should be sexually active.

Basically my questions are:

1) Are there any tips you would offer to maximise my chances of filming spawning behaviour?
2) If the shrimp pairs are indeed not spawning, is there anything we can do to encourage them to? They have about one more molt until our three week filming block occurs.

Any tips in general would be so helpful. Thanks all and sorry for the long message!

James
Here is the main thread about the harlequin shrimp

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my female is ready to release the eggs she comes out of the cave which the male and is present in the middle of the tank for a few hours before lights out. About 30 mins after lights out around 11pm she climbs up the the highest point of the rock work flutters the appendages underneath her belly and release the larvae

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female will molt a few days after giving birth. Right when the female is almost done molting the male begins to impregnate her by lifting her up and placing his underside against hers

Back