I think my LTA for is injured... Try ciprofloxacin?

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this LTA for and 3 weeks and it hasn't attached. From the get go, there was a bit of "stuff" on its foot that I noticed shortly after bringing it home. :/ Now it looks pretty bad. Should I try Cipro? If I do, what requirements need to be set for the QT?

PXL_20210123_052728932.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it could be damage. Cipro might work.

QT tank set up; Light, heater, air stone, powerhead, screen to keep it out of harms way, Glass bowl for it to sit on if it wants more light.

NemQT.JPG

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it could be damage. Cipro might work.

QT tank set up; Light, heater, air stone, powerhead, screen to keep it out of harms way, Glass bowl for it to sit on if it wants more light.

NemQT.JPG
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice! It has seated a bit today and is still pretty full and healthy looking besides that spot on the foot. I'm thinking I might hold off a few days and see if it stabilizes and decides to actually attach, rather than changing the environment again. It will also take some time for a cipro order to get here and the fish stores only have iodine. :/

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it ever deflated since you've had it? If not, then I wouldn't be too concerned about the injury or that it needs antibiotics. However, since it hasn't settled in in three weeks, you may want to start looking at your tank parameters to see if something is off.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@D-Nak it has gone through some deflation cycles but never super small and the tentacles always have looked full. The tank parameters have been stable each time I've tested and pretty normal: salinity ~32-33, ph 8.1-8.3, temp 77-79, calc 380 (increasing this), mag 1080 (increasing this), alk 7.6. No ammonia detected. But some hair algae has started to bloom in the last week on some of the newer live rock I added so there could be changes I'm not detecting behind the scenes

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have gone downhill very quickly. The nem got very deflated overnight and the foot looks worse. We moved to a QT to watch more closely. Ordered cipro and it should arrive Thursday but that might be too late. :(

PXL_20210125_213144853.jpg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your nem survives long enough to make it to treatment. Lickinly your nem doesn't yet look too far gone to me. It is closed up, but seems in decent shape still, if not pretty unhappy. On a side note, IMO your salinity should be a bit higher for your nem. I would slowly raise it up to 35ppt or 1.025.

As an anemone lover, I always have cipro on hand and now treat EVERY anemone before going in my DT. To date, I have not lost a single anemone that was treated before introduction, but have lost a few before implementing Cipro treatment.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lpsouth1978 thanks! Things turned pretty bad over night and our nem turned itself completely inside out. There is still some color yesterday in the tentacles, but we are not too optimistic.

How many days to you treat with cipro when you get them? Full water changes daily?

Thanks also for the note on salinity, though I think you may have converted my salinity from PPT to density instead of specific gravity - 33 PPT is 1.025 sg.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually treat for 10 days. I use a 5 gallon aquarium with a small heater and pump. I have a section of egg crate that separates these from the nem so it cannot injure itself on them. I also have a gooseneck lamp with a PAR38 bulb in it to provide good light. I change 100% water daily. Typically in the evening right before dosing and lights out.

My bad on the SG, Had one of those old age moments. :)

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this LTA for and 3 weeks and it hasn't attached. From the get go, there was a bit of "stuff" on its foot that I noticed shortly after bringing it home. :/ Now it looks pretty bad. Should I try Cipro? If I do, what requirements need to be set for the QT?

What is an LTA? I know it’s a type of anemone

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lpsouth1978 I will be doing that once ready to try again, thanks again! I have a 5 gal fluval with a small heater so that should be good. One last question :) ... how much cipro do you use in your 5 gal?

I love the look of the LTA but think we might go with a BTA next because it seems they are much easier to attach. :(

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lpsouth1978 I will be doing that once ready to try again, thanks again! I have a 5 gal fluval with a small heater so that should be good. One last question :) ... how much cipro do you use in your 5 gal?

I love the look of the LTA but think we might go with a BTA next because it seems they are much easier to attach. :(
I use Fish Flox for my Cipro. They are 250mg/tablet, and 1 tablet treats 5 gal. I usually had only ~2.5gal in the tank so cut the tablets in half. I do it this way to reduce salt usage, and reduce the cipro needed for treatment. Has worked well for me, even on a 16" Purple Haddoni that took up the entire tank.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is an LTA? I know it’s a type of cl
What is an LTA? I know it’s a type of anemone
thx

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry late to this thread. The very first picture clearly shows damage to the foot(a hole in it's foot) with it's insides coming out. 99.99% of LTAs never recover from this type of injury. I have 2 rules when buying LTAs- #1 at the store it's GOT to have it's foot attached(if there's even a tiny pinprick hole in a LTAs foot it won't attach and just get worse and die). #2 at the store it has to have it's mouth closed. LTAs are easier to keep than BTAs if you get a health one to begin with. Go thru my posts and see the beautiful purple stripped LTA I own.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tnw50cal Dang. Well maybe I'll try again with an LTA... They are so beautiful. Here was mine before the downfall. The mouth was open a lot of the time when we just got it and I think the pinprick hole was there and just gradually got worse. So sad.

Curious - are you on team cipro for all new anemones?

PXL_20210103_192508311.jpg

Back