I think my tank may be infected...seeking advice

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater tanks (and aquariums in general). I've been told that white poop signifies internal parasites. Well, I just noticed that my dwarf flame angel has white poop hanging (see pic) and I have a juvenile clownfish which hasn't eaten in two days. Quite frankly I am not even sure if they are related (or even an issue). Can someone with more experience than myself suggest cause as well as best treatments? Thanks in advance!

angel.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is either intestinal parasites or worms.

Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully eradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater tanks (and aquariums in general). I've been told that white poop signifies internal parasites. Well, I just noticed that my dwarf flame angel has white poop hanging (see pic) and I have a juvenile clownfish which hasn't eaten in two days. Quite frankly I am not even sure if they are related (or even an issue). Can someone with more experience than myself suggest cause as well as best treatments? Thanks in advance!

angel.jpg

^^+1 but I will add if the clown is no longer eating he may need to go into QT where you can dose meds to the water to suppress internal parasites to get him eating the med laced food.

Welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My assumption is the juvenile clown is sick as well as he has stopped eating (was eating for the first 2 weeks I had him). How do I treat him if he is not eating?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My assumption is the juvenile clown is sick as well as he has stopped eating (was eating for the first 2 weeks I had him). How do I treat him if he is not eating?

Put him in QT and dose Metroplex 2 scoops per 10G of water, even better would be General Cure which is one packet per 10G.(this could take a few days so dose on recommend schedule)
Basically you want the fish to ingest meds through the water to suppress the parasites enough to get him eating the medicated food.
Once he starts eating (hopefully) you will need to treat with medicated food for 14 days as described above.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, right out of the gate you got 2 of top R2R members rushing to your aid.

That shows you that you joined the right group, and we’re glad u did

Welcome...

#WelcometoR2R

upload_2019-4-14_15-31-35.gif

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not have a QT tank. I can set one up but my guess is that it would not be ready in time. Can I dose my entire main tank? Is it harmful to the other fish and inverts?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not have a QT tank. I can set one up but my guess is that it would not be ready in time. Can I dose my entire main tank? Is it harmful to the other fish and inverts?

You cannot dose your DT with Metro or GC safely. I would recommend checking craigslist for someone’s old freshwater setup (cheap) with hob filter, heater, air stone, etc. once you have that get your water made, up to temp, add a piece of filter sponge and add a bottle of biospira or fritz9000 (bacteria in a bottle) to setup your biofilter immediately. Add a seachem ammonia badge and your set. Do not run any poly filter or carbon in QT.

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but the clownfish is the male in a pair... is it ok to separate or should I move them both (they seem really attached)? If I separate will they pair back up when reintroduced?

Thanks again for your quick and insightful replies...much appreciated!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but the clownfish is the male in a pair (and I'm not sure how true this next statement is but the male/female seem really attached). Is it ok to separate or should I move them both? If I separate will they pair back up when reintroduced?

Thanks again for your quick and insightful replies...much appreciated!

You can move them as a pair. If one has internal parasites they all do. Fish eat each other’s poop.

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question...would it be helpful to do a large water change as well?

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have inverts (shrimp, snail and crabs) in the tank as well. They do not mix with copper, correct? Anything I can use in its place?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have inverts (shrimp, snail and crabs) in the tank as well. They do not mix with copper, correct? Anything I can use in its place?

I’m sorry, no copper I tried to correct it when I realized it was this thread.

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries.

I know I previously said last question but one more if you don't mind. How soon after I set up the QT can I move the fish over? Does it need to cycle or should I move them immediately to treat?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries.

I know I previously said last question but one more if you don't mind. How soon after I set up the QT can I move the fish over? Does it need to cycle or should I move them immediately to treat?

I personally add fish after about 30 min. Follow the directions on the biospira or fritz for a larger bioload. Pay attention to the ammonia badge also. I typically do a 20-25-%WC every 3-4 days anyways so I never have an ammonia issue

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I failed to mention yesterday (and I noticed again this morning) is that the angel will sometimes attempt to eat but will always spit the food back out. I have tried multiple foods (pellets, frozen, flakes) and all appear to have the same result. Have you experienced something like this?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is either intestinal parasites or worms.

Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully eradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.
Agree. The clown that isn't eating and this white stringy poop in the flame angel are likely related :)

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say clown not angel...
What I failed to mention yesterday (and I noticed again this morning) is that the clown will sometimes attempt to eat but will always spit the food back out. I have tried multiple foods (pellets, frozen, flakes) and all appear to have the same result. Have you experienced something like this?

Back