I think this is Red Ogo....but I'm not sure?!

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall Red Ogo having such a firm (it feels kinda hard!?) texture, but this stuff is blooming in my sump, and it floats up to the top. Is this good stuff? (That's Chaeto, trying to hang on in the foreground)
Algae1.jpg
Algae2.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall Red Ogo having such a firm (it feels kinda hard!?) texture, but this stuff is blooming in my sump, and it floats up to the top. Is this good stuff? (That's Chaeto, trying to hang on in the foreground)
Algae1.jpg
Algae2.jpg
White light pic? That would help a lot. Plus a pic of the macro close up.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae1.jpg
Algae2.jpg
Personally, it doesn’t seem like Red ogo (your red macroalgae has too many nub-like branchlets), though I agree with @Eagle_Steve that we need white light (ex. with a flashlight) and close up pictures for better identification.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ridges make it looks like a type of red grape caulerpa in a way. The fronds are the issue

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking maybe Red Razor?
RedRazorMaybe.jpg
RedRazorMaybe2.jpg
The nubs seem too spaced out for the algae to be Red razor (Bryothamnion). Personally, though, it greatly resembles Spiny algae (Acanthophora spicifera), an incredibly rare algae in the states and can potentially become invasive in our systems, though it may feature desirable colors based on lighting.
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookspicifera.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/2021101...cies/marine-macroalgae-acanthophora-spicifera
https://web.archive.org/web/2021051...son/acanthophora-spicifera-spiny-algae-detail
1642032690512.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nubs seem too spaced out for the algae to be Red razor (Bryothamnion). Personally, though, it greatly resembles Spiny algae (Acanthophora spicifera), an incredibly rare algae in the states and can potentially become invasive in our systems.
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookspicifera.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/2021101...cies/marine-macroalgae-acanthophora-spicifera
1642032690512.png
Now that I am back on my pc and not my phone, I think you nailed it. That guy is a beast to remove if it gets a foothold in the rocks. There are also red variants out there of it. Almost nothing eats it. Edit: nothing we usually keep in our glass boxes.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes it seem like I should pull it from my sump... have no clue where it came from. :/
Can you take piece out, set it under the room lighting and take a pic with it on a paper towel or other white item?

Would help us to be sure on an id

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I am back on my pc and not my phone, I think you nailed it. That guy is a beast to remove if it gets a foothold in the rocks. There are also red variants out there of it. Almost nothing eats it. Edit: nothing we usually keep in our glass boxes.
Hmm... I have actually wanted to keep this in my macroalgae display for a while; would it make more sense to keep it around in this setting (as opposed to a reef environment)?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I have actually wanted to keep this in my macroalgae display for a while; would it make more sense to keep it around in this setting (as opposed to a reef environment)?
I would say it would be fine in a macro only tank. All the other macros you have are direct competition for it, so will help control it.

For example, I grow a wire algae in my mangrove lagoon that without macro competition would overrun a reef very quickly, unless you have a ton of long spine urchins. Not sure of exact name, as I never really researched it, but it is native to FL and will straight cover a rock in a week in a tank with no competition. I like it though, as it looks like a field grass and keeps my urchin fed with other stuff besides my other macros lol.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to just rip this out and get as much off my Chaeto as possible. I'm not in the mood for an invasive species and frankly, my nitrates are pegged at zero, so this may help that anyway.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a close up, with something for scale (my kids ate all the bananas)
Algae3.jpg

Algae4.jpg
I think @WheatToast nailed it. It may not be the exact species of Acanthophora listed, but I am almost 100% sure it is Acanthophora of some type.

I think I'm going to just rip this out and get as much off my Chaeto as possible. I'm not in the mood for an invasive species and frankly, my nitrates are pegged at zero, so this may help that anyway.

Before you trash it, hit up @WheatToast via PM. He might pay shipping for a piece to be sent to him for his macro tank.

On a side note, Acanthophora is found in the gulf of mexico and all down the atlantic coast of florida. there are few types I have seen while diving on both sides of FL. A. spicifera being one of those. So if your rock or anything purchased was from any of those areas, it could have come as a hitchhiker. It could have even been attached to the cheato when you got it. Who know lol.

I do know that Atlantic blue tangs (smaller and still yellow) munch on it, as do large parrotfish and sea turtles.

For the invasive part, the issue is the root structure. Easy to trim, but the roots dig deep in rocks. This is why it can take over a tank. You can pull and pull, but would have to dig deep in the rocks to get the roots and runners of the roots.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @WheatToast nailed it. It may not be the exact species of Acanthophora listed, but I am almost 100% sure it is Acanthophora of some type.

Before you trash it, hit up @WheatToast via PM. He might pay shipping for a piece to be sent to him for his macro tank.

On a side note, Acanthophora is found in the gulf of mexico and all down the atlantic coast of florida. there are few types I have seen while diving on both sides of FL. A. spicifera being one of those. So if your rock or anything purchased was from any of those areas, it could have come as a hitchhiker. It could have even been attached to the cheato when you got it. Who know lol.

I do know that Atlantic blue tangs (smaller and still yellow) munch on it, as do large parrotfish and sea turtles.

For the invasive part, the issue is the root structure. Easy to trim, but the roots dig deep in rocks. This is why it can take over a tank. You can pull and pull, but would have to dig deep in the rocks to get the roots and runners of the roots.
Excellent point. DM Sent. I do have a shipping box from some fish I just received so that might do just fine!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back