I thought my fish all died

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can add fish now even though it’s showing nitrates? I used two different tests SS well as an ammonia badge and the ammonia is zero
Nitrates are not an issue at the levels you are likely to see in this tank. I presume your reading is less than 20 mg/l nitrate-nitrogen, or 80 mg/l nitrate ion?

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are not an issue at the levels you are likely to see in this tank. I presume your reading is less than 20 mg/l nitrate-nitrogen, or 80 mg/l nitrate ion?

Jay
Yes
As far as treating the goby with coppersafe, should I go by the directions based on the tank size or should I adjust it since it’s only the one fish ? I’m so worried I’ll end up killing my goby after he managed to survive whatever killed the other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
As far as treating the goby with coppersafe, should I go by the directions based on the tank size or should I adjust it since it’s only the one fish ? I’m so worried I’ll end up killing my goby after he managed to survive whatever killed the other fish.
You need to dose for the exact water volume - not the tank size. A ten gallon tank, filled to a inch from the top only holds about 8 gallons of water. You also need to deduct for any tank decorations if they are massive. The formula is: measure the water, inside the tank - length times width times water depth in inches and then divide by 231 to get gallons. So - a ten gallon tank that is 19.8" long, 9.8" wide and 10" deep would hold 8.4 gallons.

Most recommendations would be to test the copper level with a good test kit to ensure a proper dose. If you can't do that, if you dose accurately, that will work reasonably well.

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back