I took the plunge! Now what?

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago a buddy of mines gifted me a 20 gallon aio nano tank with a pump and wave maker for my daughter. we have always been interested in a setup and ended up here only to find a good deal on a reefer 170 with everything we needed to start up including livestock. I picked up the setup and brought it home and set everything up and began to enjoy our new setup.
After a few days my buddy that gave me the original tank notified me that we had an aiptasia infestation ( Im assuming this is part of the hobby) which we ended up buying some peppermint shrimp for and so far they haven't been too helpful, but im guessing i will just give it a bit more time.
In the meantime im wondering what would you guys suggest i do with the 20 gallon aio? we are hoping to upgrade to a 90+ gallon once we get the hang of things since i seem to be in love with tangs and puffers but for the time being what would be a good use - learning experience to use the tank for? tia. sorry if i dont make much sense but im typing from work whenever i get a second to breathe.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggesting looking at the @Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing to help you. It is a long, but great tool, when helping new reefers get into this hobby and understand what is involved.

Last edited:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number one tangs need 125 gallon tank . Number 2 aptasia eating file fish . After you put one in it will take a day or two for it to get adjusted. Then good luck finding aptasia.

OP
OP
B

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggesting looking at the Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing to help you. It is a long, but great tool, when helping new reefers get into this hobby and understand what is involved.

Yes! we have already started. its been pretty awesome so far.

OP
OP
B

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number one tangs need 125 gallon tank . Number 2 aptasia eating file fish . After you put one in it will take a day or two for it to get adjusted. Then good luck finding aptasia.
thanks! would definitly love a 125. ill keep that in mind. ive considered that but ive been told and read that they could eat some of our coral. also would they get along with 2 clowns, 1 goby and a pajama?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to remove a file fish after it eats your aptasia i think that is all they eat. They are very docile . At night they sleep at the top of the tank. Easy to catch.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to remove a file fish after it eats your aptasia i think that is all they eat. They are very docile . At night they sleep at the top of the tank. Easy to catch.
They will also enjoy munching on your LPS and inverts on occasion. My matted filefish primarily enjoys mysis and bloodworms. :)

Your 20g AIO will make an excellent quarantine tank if you want to go that route. This is a 45 or 72 day process, so it will certainly give you time to upgrade to that 90g build.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggesting looking at the @Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing to help you. It is a long, but great tool, when helping new reefers get into this hobby and understand what is involved.

+3

Grab some popcorn and watch the entire thing. You will learn a lot.

Now about the Aptasia, In my opinion I would just restart the tank. You guys are so new into it, I wouldn't risk having those in your tank, but up to you.

OP
OP
B

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3

Grab some popcorn and watch the entire thing. You will learn a lot.

Now about the Aptasia, In my opinion I would just restart the tank. You guys are so new into it, I wouldn't risk having those in your tank, but up to you.
ive given that some thought. being so new i wasn't sure if i could without hurting all of the livestock. any advice or suggestions on how to go about doing that is appreciated

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don’t watch the whole thing, at least watch their 5-minute guides.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tangs quickest growth spurt is in the first several months after they are introduced into a tank. I will not recommend a tang in a tank unless its at least 4ft long.

I had 3 in my 120 gal tank previously, and currently have 6 in my 225 gal tank.

Back