I took the plunge, Orion Conductivity Meter

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Randy, I took the plunge and purchased an Orion Conductivity Meter. At 12:00 AM weird things happen on Ebay. My friend once boutht a used hearst.

Orion Star A322 and a Orion DuraProbe 4-Electrode Conductivity Cells 013005MD

It's amazing, I read your articles over and over and then one day it just hits me.

I'm playing around with three refractometers and bottles of reference solutions and nothing every really matches.

I mean, they kind of match if I squint the right way or keep taking samples until they match.

And then I'm reading a RHF post, "get a conductivity meter."

And it's like a voice from on-high has spoken, the light finally goes on and I take the plunge.

I'm gonna free my kitchen table from all this crap and just go with some good lab grade test equipment.

It's better to go with one good piece of test equipment than three crappy ones.

A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches never does.

Checking salinity will become as boring as brushing my teeth.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have the same issue. Might look into this. Tell me how you like it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Randy, I took the plunge and purchased an Orion Conductivity Meter. At 12:00 AM weird things happen on Ebay. My friend once boutht a used hearst.

It's amazing, I read your articles over and over and then one day it just hits me.

I'm playing around with three refractometers and bottles of reference solutions and nothing every really matches.

I mean, they kind of match if I squint the right way or keep taking samples until they match.

And it's like a voice from on-high has spoken, the light finally goes on and I take the plunge.

I'm gonna free my kitchen table from all this crap and just go with some good lab grade test equipment.

Very nice. I see that model can be calibrated. My Orion 128 could not, but it held the same very slightly low standard reading for 10 years.

I'd suggest either making a DIY standard if you have a good scale, or buying one or more commercial fluids for labs (not hobby ones).

like one or more of these:

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I see that model can be calibrated. My Orion 128 could not, but it held the same very slightly low standard reading for 10 years.

I'd suggest either making a DIY standard if you have a good scale, or buying one or more commercial fluids for labs (not hobby ones).

like one or more of these:

Thanks Randy. I have a decent enough scale.

I will definitely try making my own.

I guess I will also purchase some standards solutions at least at the beginning just to make sure everything checks out.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have the same issue. Might look into this. Tell me how you like it.

I will keep you posted.

I will say, the lab grade stuff ain't cheap. The 4-electrode probe alone in used "like new" condition and at 25% of the new price still cost about the same as the PinPoint salinity meter. And I bought a "new" meter. It was a pretty penny too at about 50% off the retail price on Ebay. I am sure If had waited something cheaper used would have shown up BUT if you don't really know what you're doing I think it's harder to buy used equipment.

I took the plunge because as Randy point out his Orion Conductivity Meter has held its edge for 10 years. Now, I'm not saying I won't check my meter against a reference solution now and then BUT I am hoping to get away from calibrating my refractometer every time I blink too hard. And the refactometers always seem to throw me a curve ball just when I think I know what I'm doing, I get some weird reading.

I guess I will be able to cross check my conductivity meter against my pH meter since I know the conductivity and pH of my Kalkwasser.

So, I'll post when I get a chance to break it in a little. I'm hoping the only downside is cost.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. There is one on sale now. After the initial cost what if anything else is needed? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep you posted.

I will say, the lab grade stuff ain't cheap. The 4-electrode probe alone in used "like new" condition and at 25% of the new price still cost about the same as the PinPoint salinity meter. And I bought a "new" meter. It was a pretty penny too at about 50% off the retail price on Ebay. I am sure If had waited something cheaper used would have shown up BUT if you don't really know what you're doing I think it's harder to buy used equipment.

I'm a big fan of 4 electrode conductivity probes.

This compares them:

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. There is one on sale now. After the initial cost what if anything else is needed? Thanks
Basically, you need a meter and a probe. Of course, there are a lot meters and probes to choose from with a very wide price range. I did a search on Randy's posts to get a feel for his recommendations. I'm really a beginner at this stuff, so don't necessary follow my lead.

After basic quality you can decide if you want a multi-function meter . Obviously, the greater functionality, pH, DO, etc...the more money.

I guess you can also get some reference solutions to test your probe or make your own.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I am wanting more accuracy. And ease of use is also important. If it is easy I would do it more often, testing anything.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I am wanting more accuracy. And ease of use is also important. If it is easy I would do it more often, testing anything.
I'll try to post back after I've used the probe for a few weeks and let you know how it works for me. But as I said, I'm no chemist or lab tech, so take my advice with a grain of IO.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With my Orion 128, you drop the probe in the water, turn the switch to the right range (which also turns it on), and you get a reading in less than a minute. The time need is for the probe to come to water temp to get the correct temp correction. As soon as the reading is stable, it is done.

Couldn't be easier.

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... im new to this all. Just trying to get into Lime-water to get my reeftank pH between 7.8-8.3 and now all of a sudden im googling Orion Star Conductivity meters haha anyways... For the life of me I can NOT find the "Orion 128" anywhere... I dont even know if id be able to afford it. But I know this is way over my head and I need something simple. Can you direct me to where I could view this product and possibly purchase it? TIA

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... im new to this all. Just trying to get into Lime-water to get my reeftank pH between 7.8-8.3 and now all of a sudden im googling Orion Star Conductivity meters haha anyways... For the life of me I can NOT find the "Orion 128" anywhere... I dont even know if id be able to afford it. But I know this is way over my head and I need something simple. Can you direct me to where I could view this product and possibly purchase it? TIA

The Orion 128 has not been made in many years. Folks getting it or similar models (which are also good) get them on ebay.

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Orion 128 has not been made in many years. Folks getting it or similar models (which are also good) get them on ebay.
I figured that was the scenario. At the risk of sounding ignorant and needy, would you be willing to recommend a product (meter and prob) and would read between 0 µS/cm - 12mS/cm that is relatively affordable? I know that's subjective term but hoping there is something around the $200 or less marker. TIA

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you like the a322?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back