I use natural sea water...ich eradication not possible.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get natural sea water delivered once a month for water change.

Is ich eradication not possible for me?

I watched this video where someone says they feed garlic to their fish. He said that every new fish gets ich in his system. He said the garlic doesn’t kill ich, but it keeps the fish eating...and fish who keep eating won’t die.

I think this is sound advice for me. I run a UV sterilizer but I doubt it’s actually helping. Probably keeps population under control. Right now I’m redoing my tank (no water right now. All sand removed.

There’s no ich in my 300 gallon system, but won’t ich come back with the sea water that gets delivered to me?

Also some research that garlic causes damage to their organs. This was high doses but I would not use this method long term.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I got good news! My tank is currently ich free (no fish and dry) and I’m able to request water that has been sitting in the storage for 2 days.

I never quarantined fish before, but I can do hypo or copper before adding to my new tank setup!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I got good news! My tank is currently ich free (no fish and dry) and I’m able to request water that has been sitting in the storage for 2 days.

I never quarantined fish before, but I can do hypo or copper before adding to my new tank setup!

Two days won't do anything. I would probably start a white worm culture, locate a source for live clams, buy LRS, and buy a large expensive UV since it isn't harmful and can only help.

I would think getting the parasite in NSW would be low so I would still QT fish. But you also have to QT corals/snails.. etc to be safer.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days won't do anything. I would probably start a white worm culture, locate a source for live clams, buy LRS, and buy a large expensive UV since it isn't harmful and can only help.

I would think getting the parasite in NSW would be low so I would still QT fish. But you also have to QT corals/snails.. etc to be safer.
I just read somewhere that if the water sits for 2 days it will be fine.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read somewhere that if the water sits for 2 days it will be fine.
You can also read some where that ginger cures ich, Does not make it true. There are some pretty interesting theory’s on ich. Just saying. People think be cause you don’t see it it’s not there. You should do a search for humble fishes ich threads. He has done many study’s and experiments to back up allot of the good info out there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming stage is 2 days. Will die without a host

Isn’t it two weeks for velvet though? I always do two weeks because of velvet.

Also I would think the water would need to be devoid of pods or any particles large enough for something to encyst on but I am assuming it is filtered somehow.

I would guess temperature effects things too

I wouldn’t expect them not to cross contaminate or such.

I would have a lot of questions about how the water is stored.

I think the risk is low but due to the shear volume of the ocean but I don’t feel storing water for two days eliminates the risk of disease. Just too many unknowns. I would use the water but still use a UV for anything that gets through.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the free swimming stage of velvet can last a couple weeks without a host(they use photosythesis for "fuel". I am not convinced the risk from NSW is very high in the first place, but would think velvet is significantly less just based off my understanding of the prevalence of each.

You may be right about cysts attached to free floating particles, but i think you would be talking miniscule risk of that(though admit i really never seen any info regarding that)

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, your NSW should, if anything, only have the free swimming stage of ich, or velvet for that matter. Both of which die within 48 hours if no fish host is present. Water temperature will also change the time line for this.

If you wanted to be particularly paranoid, store the water heated to 80f for 72 hours. That will absolutely guarantee its ich and velvet free.

You're also much, much more likely to get it via livestock, so quarantine absolutely everything wet that goes in your tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, your NSW should, if anything, only have the free swimming stage of ich, or velvet for that matter. Both of which die within 48 hours if no fish host is present. Water temperature will also change the time line for this.

If you wanted to be particularly paranoid, store the water heated to 80f for 72 hours. That will absolutely guarantee its ich and velvet free.

You're also much, much more likely to get it via livestock, so quarantine absolutely everything wet that goes in your tank.

Ich is less than 2 days, but free swimming stage of velvet is a couple weeks. Theoretically you can cut that time down by making sure there is zero light in the water(they use photosythesis for energy in that stage), but i have not seen how effective that is.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO garlic is a myth, so is ginger, ich x and anything other then copper and one other thing I can’t think of.
garlic may help entice the fish to eat. Just feed the fish really well, fresh and live food will help manage it.
Garlic as an antibiotic is and isn’t a myth. In humans it can work as a mild broad-spectrum antibiotic (it contain allicin which is an antimicrobial). Now, I don’t know if it has the same properties in fish, though a lot of fish antibiotics are also used in humans (I guess it’s the other way around), so it would stand to reason that the antibiotic effect that garlic has in humans would also work on fish. The other issue is getting the fish to ingest enough garlic to have a noticeable effect. But, garlic has been proven to increase feeding response in fish and an eating fish is much, much more likely to survive a bout of ich. So, IMO, I say use it, it may or may not help, but it won’t hurt anything, and using something natural is always preferable to try first before using harsh medications.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a thought.
I am not saying this is the "right" way but it the way I am going to run my reef.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back