I want a porcupine puffer....but

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw one for the first time at my LFS, won my heart. I do have a mixed reef of lps and softies. My bursa trigger hasn’t munched on corals at all, and my valentin puffer never, not once bothered anything...bless him. Can porcupines be kept in mixed reefs or did I just get lucky?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got lucky...
Fwiw, I have done dumb things with my tank from time to time. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. As a couple examples, I tried (very unsuccessfully) to add a black tang to my established tank with 5 other zebrasoma tangs. I also added an Asfur to my SPS tank. Supposedly a big no no, but all is right with the world and he doesn't touch anything.
Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the possible drawbacks.. like having to re-home your new fish... Or... Now having a puffer tank with live rock.

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried (very unsuccessfully) to add a black tang to my established tank with 5 other zebrasoma tangs

Yeah I've tried introducing a larger purple tang to my established with one small yellow...didn’t matter he was smaller he took out the purple. But when I’ve added “not reef safe” fish I've had zero problems. They’re the model citizens of the tank.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 60 gallon...I know, don’t report me to the tang police. I have a 150 gallon in the works
I see. Yea don’t get it, Juvi’s still need a 180, adults do best is monster 500+ gal tanks, they get a foot long and are very smart.

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yea don’t get it, Juvi’s still need a 180, adults do best is monster 500+ gal tanks, they get a foot long and are very smart.

I’m not arguing with you at all and I figured 150+ and bigger for adults

This site says a minimum of 60!

Same site also says minimum of 35 for a DOGFACE!

It’s because of sites like this people are so confused

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back