I want an RO/DI System BUT I don't have a lot of Space - Suggestions ???

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want my own RO/DI System, so that I don't have to keep buying water from my LFS, BUT I don't have a lot of space for an elaborate mixing station with large containers ect.
What can I do ? Is there an RO/DI System that I can use in my space challenged home that will allow me to make and store enough water to service my 75 and 90 gallon tanks ? Is there an RO/DI System that will allow me to make water "on demand" and "just in time" for a water change or top off ? (After the tanks, I have very little space left anywhere for anything).
All suggestions welcomed ! TIA !

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mt brs six stage Rodi is in a container in the basement. I get it out and bring it in the kitchen and make the water on the weekend in 5g buckets. It takes about 90min per 5g.
Its my "Portable Rodi"

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... that's exactly what I need ! Something "portable" that I can pull out when I need to make water, and then put back up when I'm done. Thanks ! I'll check that one out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space used for water storage isn't debatable....if you need enough for water changes, caclulate that amount, plus whatever you need for ATO, mixing chemicals, washing windows, et al. That's the gallonage of container(s) you need. Using square or rectangular containers that are more vertically oriented will maximize the space you dedicate for water.

The RODI system you choose doesn't make as much difference...all are pretty compact and with a little ingenuity, can be mounted just about anywhere, even remotely from the water supply, drain and point of use if need be.

If you were keeping very small tanks, I might suggest a DI-only filter system without storage. Makes pure water potentially at tap-water speeds, but it's pretty expensive at any large scale. API's tap-water filter is pretty much this solution.....fine for 10G and under if you were limited on space. I think all the better RODI filter makers also have a DI-only version available....it'll still have some pre-filtration, but no RO and at least double DI.

Last edited:

NYCxBRVCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For two tanks that size, I don't think theres any other option but to make space for storage containers. Luckily for me, a 20g tub can fit snuggly under my stand. I think you'll need a much larger container though. I suggest checking your local Home Depot or Lowes and looking at all the containers they have, depending on how much water you need stored, theres different options in size. I could've gotten a 20g brute container, but it was much too tall to sit under my stand, so I went with the 20 gallon plastic tub with lid.

As for the unit, it doesn't need to be permanently mounted or tapped into your pipes. I store mine inside a drawer and hook it up to my faucet with an adaptor, and just remove it when i'm done. Kind of a pain when people need to use the sink for something but its easily taken on and off. I usually will try to fill up my container while nobodies home or everybody's asleep so it goes undisturbed.

One last option is getting a BRS RO/DI that makes 150-200GPD. Its costly but you will spend less time getting the water and can probably do a water change if you start filling up a container the night before. Only bad thing is you wont have water stored if you desperately need a water change in case of an emergency.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I think more about this, there is a small coat closet off the hallway that I could clear out, and possibly put two stackable water containers in, but I'd have to figure out how to stack them.
The issue is, that closet is nowhere near the kitchen, or the two tanks. And the tanks are in two different rooms.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a garage? At my previous house I stored my water there and brought it what I needed the night before a water a change so the water could get to room temps.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For two tanks that size, I don't think theres any other option but to make space for storage containers.

Yes you're right, because lugging 20 gallons of salt, and 15 gallons of fresh RO/DI into the house every week is not fun ! Not to mention the cost of buying all that water every week. I've got to figure out something.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a garage? At my previous house I stored my water there and brought it what I needed the night before a water a change so the water could get to room temps.

No garage unfortunately.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into attaching a RODI to a couple 2x4's and placing it securely in a cabinet.

You can use a screw on diverter on a faucet to quickly attach and detach the supply line.

I had the benefit of a washer drain to run the waste line into, but you mainly want to ensure that the waste line is secure when in use to keep the floor dry.

You can drill a bucket and install a float valve, and use a John Guest fitting to attach and detach the DI line for easy storage. I'd recommend leaving the bucket in a sink while filling just in case.

NYCxBRVCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I think more about this, there is a small coat closet off the hallway that I could clear out, and possibly put two stackable water containers in, but I'd have to figure out how to stack them.
The issue is, that closet is nowhere near the kitchen, or the two tanks. And the tanks are in two different rooms.
I would say this is your best option. Like I said look into the dimensions of certain containers and see which are stackable. Having them far off in a closet is better than wasting a ton of money buying the water. I would suggest the 20g brute garbage containers from home depot, 2 of them. They are stackable and pretty small. They have more height than diameter so you'll save space if you stack them. If it all fails you can just buy a bunch of the 5 gallons and stack them. They're small and do the trick but you'll probably need a ton.

Layllah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also rent but am in a house, so I just use the small half-bath downstairs as "fish room" stuffs lol ^.^ If you have a spare bathroom maybe that could work-
I got a small RO DI unit on amazon, and keep 2x 5 gallon buckets mixing at any given time for regular changes, and have an extra screw-top resivoir of fresh water in the under sink cabinet. My bulk salt bags are stored with my tank but I always have one bag in the water room with a scoop so its easy access to start a mix!
It doesnt need to be a massive setup, I just schedule my water changes and be sure I'm mixing water the day before and keep the unit attached to the cabinet.
If one needed to, everything could easily be put away and tidied up under the sink and stow the buckets in the coat closet : )

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do something like this:
mixing station -mid build.jpg

I saw this on @melypr1985 180 gallon build post, and I'm hoping I can stack some containers on top of each other just like this in my small closet, and hook a hose or something to them that I can take to each of the tanks for water changes and top offs. I don't even know if that will actually work, but that is what I am envisioning.
I just need to find out where I can get some containers like this.

Last edited:

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya mine is on the wall and recently I've only been using it to fill 1, 5 gal bucket at a time. That doesn't take a lot of space (assuming you plumbed the waste water into the drain. However mine actually runs into another container).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do something like this:
mixing station -mid build.jpg

I saw this on @melypr1985 180 gallon build post, and I'm hoping I can stack some containers on top of each other just like this in my small closet, and hook a hose or something to them that I can take to each of the tanks for water changes and top offs. I don't even know if that will actually work, but that is what I am envisioning.
I just need to find out where I can get some containers like this.

I should probably get an updated picture of this and how it's all set up. For the record though.. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/leg-style-storage-tank-35-gal?cm_vc=-10005

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably get an updated picture of this and how it's all set up. For the record though.. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/leg-style-storage-tank-35-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks for the info ! I think we have a Tractor Supply here. And "Yes" ... I'd love to see an updated picture of how you have yours set-up. I'm going to have to figure out how to make the water in my kitchen, get it to these containers in the hallway closet, and then get it from the containers to the tanks, which are in two different rooms in the house.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info ! I think we have a Tractor Supply here. And "Yes" ... I'd love to see an updated picture of how you have yours set-up. I'm going to have to figure out how to make the water in my kitchen, get it to these containers in the hallway closet, and then get it from the containers to the tanks, which are in two different rooms in the house.
You can see the top blue handle (circled in yellow) is how I fill buckets or jugs with RODI water. There is a long hose with a PVC filling "hook" and another valve on the other end of the hose. It makes for easy filling and I don't have to stand there and hold the hose. I forgot to take a picture of the other end. The valves on the bottom that are circled are the actual mixing part of the station. The pump that is circled cycles the water in a loop drawing water in the bottom pipe and running up and back into the tank through the next two pipes up. The one with the blue handle is only open when I'm mixing salt actively. The two red handles are both always open unless I need to take the pump off.
Mixing station 3-2 a.jpg

i'm using the water hose spigot outside this window as a water source. With a long enough tube you can run the water as far as you need to. Just remember that the cold water that goes through there will collect condensation on the outside of the tube when it runs through your warm house. (found that out the hard way). I have a hole drilled into the bottom of the window casing for the water to come in (red tubing) and another for the reject water (black tubing) to exit. There are bushes out there so they are getting watered and it also helps to keep my foundation watered.... keeps the house from moving when we haven't had any rain for a while. The blue tubing is the good water that is going into the RODI container.

mixing station 3-2 b.jpg

It works really well for what I need. It's not the best set up in the world, and could probably be improved quite a bit. I hope that helps though!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back