I want anemone but also coral?

heybae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new tank. I want to plan for anemones but is it possible to have them together with corals? Mainly LPS what steps should be taken to make sure I don’t destroy corals with a roaming anemone?and any problems I might run into trying to have this type of combination? just researching and pre planning.

40gallon breeder
Nothing in it.

image.jpg

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. Though even after settling in for a while they could move. Or split and the clone moves. I have one on my tank. It’s done a number on a few corals but is what it is. Will be moved to a smaller tank soon, but still mixed with corals.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirm with both the above members. They have a mind of their own and do what they want. Just be prepared for anything to happen. I had one and now I have three in a heavy SPS dominant tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you shouldn't add an anemone for 9 months to a year after your tank is running. Start with easier corals and see how you do. Anemone can be a pain.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you shouldn't add an anemone for 9 months to a year after your tank is running. Start with easier corals and see how you do. Anemone can be a pain.
Sound advice as well.
Here are the three amigos. The original took about three months to find its spot. It is the one on the far right. It has taken out a few SPS's and injured a few more. I just place rock to kinda guide or block them best I can.
3 Anemones.jpg

OP
OP
heybae

heybae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound advice as well.
Here are the three amigos. The original took about three months to find its spot. It is the one on the far right. It has taken out a few SPS's and injured a few more. I just place rock to kinda guide or block them best I can.
3 Anemones.jpg
Seems like maybe a hassle. I’m wondering if some people who have these combos feel like maybe it’s not the best route anticipating you could loose your corals...

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine, back of the left side of tank and top down with blues

Attachments

• 20210305_204624.jpg
    20210305_204624.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210305_204616.jpg
    20210305_204616.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210223_214338.jpg
    20210223_214338.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 48

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like maybe a hassle. I’m wondering if some people who have these combos feel like maybe it’s not the best route anticipating you could loose your corals...
I bought 3.
I now have 7.
my tank is a 150 tall 48x24x30. left side of the scape clears the waterline.
2 started just below the water line on that part of the scape.
1 split. those 2 stayed put. 1 apparently didn't like the crowd so moved all the way to the bottom to the opposite side.
I had to move a neon leather and a green grandi.
the 2 that split.... the new one split....then the new one split.... then that new one split.
the original made a slight move and is now irritating a large zoa colony and a blasto colony.
I'm currently setting up a frag tank that all the nems will be moved to.
I would advise you against having both.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 'hassle" is purely subjective. Sure, it can be challenging but, other corals go to war as well. It's part of the program.
Some don't want to deal with it and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I like them because the three now give a single nem for the three clowns I have. It's worth it for me and I'm up for the challenge.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have mine amongst many coral well over a year and they have never moved from where i placed them

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew corals would get stung when I added it. Where it positioned itself it was stinging the edge of a monti digi that grew like a weed, and the gsp which grows like gsp. So it was well positioned. That was lucky. Now that I’m going acro dominant I am moving it out as I don’t want the more delicate corals stung.
Is it difficult to remove the extras from the tank if they split?
Sometimes yes. If they get their foot down tight in a hard to reach spot

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it difficult to remove the extras from the tank if they split?
If they get their foot down in a rock, it’s not moving. You can ice their foot but it’s not easy when you can’t reach it. If you pull it, you can tear the foot and you have anemone soup.

Bajie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the focus on Bubble tip anemone?
You could plan for Long Tentacle Anemone or other sand bed based anemone which would allow you to have corals on your rock without worrying too much about anemone moving.

Not telling you what to do, just throwing out a suggestion :)

OP
OP
heybae

heybae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the focus on Bubble tip anemone?
You could plan for Long Tentacle Anemone or other sand bed based anemone which would allow you to have corals on your rock without worrying too much about anemone moving.

Not telling you what to do, just throwing out a suggestion :)
That might be an ok route i didn’t know there are sand bed anemones.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back