I want to add three female Lyretail Anthias to my tank at the same time; doable?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, as the title suggest I am currently placing an order somewhere and was hoping for some guidance on how to order these Lyretail Anthias for my reef tank, I have room for a bunch more fish and my wife (and I) really like these for a pop of color. Problem is I have read mostly that they do well when there is a male and a few females in a group together so theres a hierarchy in place; well the place I want to order them from is all out of male Lyretail Anthias and I dont want to go buy it from anywhere else. Is it OK to order 3 to 4 Lyretail Anthias females and place them in the tank at the same time, one will become male? Or will this turn into fightclub and death?

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to buy a group that already paired up. Live Aquaria sometimes has it. One would become female eventually and it’s always a good idea to add a school at same time rather than one after another to prevent aggression. Anthias are monster when it comes to fighting each other. They usually fight until there’s only one left if they don’t like each other

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to buy a group that already paired up. Live Aquaria sometimes has it. One would become female eventually and it’s always a good idea to add a school at same time rather than one after another to prevent aggression. Anthias are monster when it comes to fighting each other. They usually fight until there’s only one left if they don’t like each other
Thats how i got my dispars. Live aquaria divers den often has trios and 6 packs of either dispars or lyretails. I love my dispars.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy 3 females there is no guarantee that if you add a group with an existing male that the females will accept it. That will mean another female will start transitioning and you will have a battle between them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back