I want to build a saltwater aquarium

Tind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 160 l freshwater aquarium. I want to know
1. Is it possible to use my freshwater aquarium as a saltwater reef tank ?
2. If not how do I rebuild it ?
3. I can buy a used reef tank were do I buy it ?
4. Is it possible to build a reef tank ?
5. If not what do a saltwater aquarium cost ?
6. Is it expensive ?
7. I want to have a good life for my fish what aquarium size do I need ?
8. I need to know what do I need brand type anything ?

Thank you

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of questions = many answers. Yes it is possible to turn a tank that has been used for freshwater into a tank for saltwater use. However, the tank is not the most expensive part of having and maintaining a saltwater reef aquarium setup. Suggest you read build threads in this website to understand the process.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what you are aiming for is how much it’s going to cost you. If you want a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) then it will be somewhat cheaper than a reef tank. Once you decide to go reef you need better lighting although you can buy Chinese black box lights which work. You depending on the corals you also will need to dose certain elements. It is not a cheap hobby by any means but what you do is start off slow. Read read read amd then research a little more. There are plenty of knowledgeable people On this forum all you need to do is utilize the search and you will find most of your answers. You are in the same boat as many others out there who want to try it. Just make sure you don’t rush into it because that will put a bad taste in your mouth and may prevent you from enjoying the hobby. Good luck

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is it possible to use my freshwater aquarium as a saltwater reef tank ? Yes

2. If not how do I rebuild it ? Just use the Freshwater tank

3. I can buy a used reef tank were do I buy it ? Unsure in Norway - I'm in the U.S.

4. Is it possible to build a reef tank ? Yes

5. If not what do a saltwater aquarium cost ? Depends - DIY is cheapest, but I personally prefer buying reliable equipment on the front end versus later after learning lessons - Research needed for personal preferences.

6. Is it expensive ? Can be, but some have remained within set budgets as part of personal and fun challenges. Mine is expensive, but I would do it again because I enjoy the hobby.

7. I want to have a good life for my fish what aquarium size do I need ? IMO...the biggest reasonably size that fits a particular home, but know what recommended minimum sizes apply to certain fish species to provide a comfortable life for the inhabitants.

8. I need to know what do I need brand type anything ? All potentially new hobbyists need to know that they should take their time and don't rush. Research is their best friend and always validate info when possible. Enjoy and have fun. There are numerous equipment brands available in all equipment categories that will work, but some better than others. Basics for starters, but other are welcome to add just in case anything is forgotten:

1. Tank
  2. Temp control Equipment
  3. Source of Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized (RODI) water with 0 TDS.
  4. Salinity and element replenishment methods if eventually getting in to corals (Not so much for Fish Only w/Live Rock systems)
  5. Nutrient Export Methods (Skimmer, Skimmerless, Water Changes...etc)
  6. Sump, Refugium, both, or neither
  7. Lighting
  8. Tank lids as applicable for high risk jumping inhabitants
  9. Powerheads for flow
I sure I may have forgotten something, but I will add later, or someone else may chime in. The more complex the system, the potential for more needed equipment rises, but simplicity should be key at the beginning.

If jumping into the hobby, try and have fun and enjoy. Best of luck.

Jack Black Leg GIF

OP
OP
T

Tind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If I have saltwater fish in a aquarium do I need a reef ?
2. I want the fish to have a healthy good life is 160 l good ?
3. Is a sump required were can I buy it ?
4. Is it a pipe system to the sump I do not have to cut trough the aquarium glas to use ?
5. I want a quality of life for my fish is it good equipment for reasonable cost ?

Thank you

OP
OP
T

Tind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is it possible to use my freshwater aquarium as a saltwater reef tank ? Yes

2. If not how do I rebuild it ? Just use the Freshwater tank

3. I can buy a used reef tank were do I buy it ? Unsure in Norway - I'm in the U.S.

4. Is it possible to build a reef tank ? Yes

5. If not what do a saltwater aquarium cost ? Depends - DIY is cheapest, but I personally prefer buying reliable equipment on the front end versus later after learning lessons - Research needed for personal preferences.

6. Is it expensive ? Can be, but some have remained within set budgets as part of personal and fun challenges. Mine is expensive, but I would do it again because I enjoy the hobby.

7. I want to have a good life for my fish what aquarium size do I need ? IMO...the biggest reasonably size that fits a particular home, but know what recommended minimum sizes apply to certain fish species to provide a comfortable life for the inhabitants.

8. I need to know what do I need brand type anything ? All potentially new hobbyists need to know that they should take their time and don't rush. Research is their best friend and always validate info when possible. Enjoy and have fun. There are numerous equipment brands available in all equipment categories that will work, but some better than others. Basics for starters, but other are welcome to add just in case anything is forgotten:

1. Tank
  2. Temp control Equipment
  3. Source of Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized (RODI) water with 0 TDS.
  4. Salinity and element replenishment methods if eventually getting in to corals (Not so much for Fish Only w/Live Rock systems)
  5. Nutrient Export Methods (Skimmer, Skimmerless, Water Changes...etc)
  6. Sump, Refugium, both, or neither
  7. Lighting
  8. Tank lids as applicable for high risk jumping inhabitants
  9. Powerheads for flow
I sure I may have forgotten something, but I will add later, or someone else may chime in. The more complex the system, the potential for more needed equipment rises, but simplicity should be key at the beginning.

If jumping into the hobby, try and have fun and enjoy. Best of luck.

Jack Black Leg GIF
Thank you

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If I have saltwater fish in a aquarium do I need a reef ? no, you do not
2. I want the fish to have a healthy good life is 160 l good ? it will depend on the amount of fish, but assuming you dont overstock, its plenty
3. Is a sump required were can I buy it ? it will probably depend on what kind of things you get in to, but it is not absolutely required. for reefing, it would probably be ideal in most elaborate cases.
4. Is it a pipe system to the sump I do not have to cut trough the aquarium glas to use ? there are HOB overflows that can feed a sump.
5. I want a quality of life for my fish is it good equipment for reasonable cost ? i suppose it depends on your definition of "reasonable". if you store buy anything, i find that the average cost is around 250-300 usd for the stuff that i have purchased, but there are some things that you can DIY to make cheaper, such as sumps/filtration systems.

Thank you

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my 20g long that was freshwater into saltwater. All I did was sell off all my fish and clean with hot water and rinsed it ALOT! It's been going for 6mos now and everything is starting to look great.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If I have saltwater fish in a aquarium do I need a reef ?
2. I want the fish to have a healthy good life is 160 l good ?
3. Is a sump required were can I buy it ?
4. Is it a pipe system to the sump I do not have to cut trough the aquarium glas to use ?
5. I want a quality of life for my fish is it good equipment for reasonable cost ?

Thank you

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have to have coral to have fish. The size of the tank will dictate the fish you can have. Good sites for reference are liveaquaria.com and drreefsquaratinedfish.com
They both have recommended tank size listed for each fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back