I want to do the right thing - Need Advice and Opinions.

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to breaking down my tank, I had to rehome my Black Tang, who was around 6 to 7 inches and I had him for 4 to 5 years. I originally paid $2500 for this guy when he was around 2.5 inches.

I shipped him to a buyer here for $500 cash and trade for 1 polyp GMK zoa (he gave me a nirvana and other random zoa freebies), also he paid shipping for the tang which was around I believe $50 to $70.

My original asking price was 1k for the tang.

Buyer asked me if I ever shipped before and I said Yes, but I would take the items to my LFS and they would pack it for me and ship.

Shipment was done and the fish was DOA, the buyer said the packaging was not good and the box was wet and damaged. I spoke to my LFS and they deny any responsibility, Fed ex denys damaging the box.

I told the guy I would ask my buddy and send him his black tang but its been 2 weeks since he is not able to catch it and today when I met him, he told me that this deal is not fair for me since I lost a pet.

What should I do?

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such a shame. If it were me I'd probably offer to refund the 500 and be be done. Shipping is shipping so there's no reason for you to eat it. Idk though, it also depends on if you discussed DOA ahead of time, and accepting that delivery drivers don't always handle with care. Sorry to hear.

OP
OP
Mkkari

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you offered DOA guarantee, you should stand by it (as long as the buyer complied with all guidelines).

I know it sucks to loose money and a pet, but if you gave your word, you should stand by it.
No, I had never provided any DOA.

OP
OP
Mkkari

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such a shame. If it were me I'd probably offer to refund the 500 and be be done. Shipping is shipping so there's no reason for you to eat it. Idk though, it also depends on if you discussed DOA ahead of time, and accepting that delivery drivers don't always handle with care. Sorry to hear.
We had never discussed about DOA.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were the buyer I would expect my $500 back as well as payment for the corals that were traded for the tang. However, there is no chance I would have purchased the fish without it being clear with the seller what happened in this situation.

OP
OP
Mkkari

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were the buyer I would expect my $500 back as well as payment for the corals that were traded for the tang. However, there is no chance I would have purchased the fish without it being clear with the seller what happened in this situation.
Wow!! I am not a fish store. It seems like I should take 100% hit and the buyer should have no hit!

No wonder not much people are willing to ship their pets, only local pickup.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I am not a fish store. It seems like I should take 100% hit and the buyer should have no hit!

It’s sad and a terrible way to do business .

a deal is a deal .
there was no mention of doa .

try communicating and come to some sort of agreement .
pay for the corals , and split the difference .
Lesson learned .... anything can happen . Protect yourself

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't stress enough the part where I wouldn't make the purchase without who claims responsibility if this were to happen being clear. Especially for such an expensive fish.

If the buyer is already asking for a full refund, I suspect if they don't get it they will dispute the charges if they paid with paypal.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the lines of what some others have said...if i am the buyer i expect some recourse here. The fact you are not a fish store is not really relevant from my perspective. A deal was made and you(presumably) received what you expected and all he got was a dead fish.

Having said all that I think you both made a mistake in not discussing DOA ahead of time. Since you didnt then this will come down to Paypal deciding who "wins" if you cant come to an agreement on your own.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have taken it to my lfs store and got credit.
If I recieved a dead fish or coral I would want a refund too.

This just happened to me a month ago. The box was wet and smashed with no water in the bag, coral dead.
Seller refunded me and all is good.
I would have shipped it myself and paid insurance for something of that value.
Its not the lfs fault.
The buyer should get his money back, imo.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A 50/50 split is not taking 100% of the hit.. Suggest refunding the 500, buyer doesn't receive refund for shipping, and keep the zoas. Not trying to sound mean, but the title says opinions, but it sounds more like you're wanting to hear us tell you to tell the buyer tough luck..

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad, I’m sorry to hear about your situation. :(

If you guys did not discuss a DOA clause whatsoever, you are not responsible whatsoever.

You did the best that you could shipping it - my guess is it’s FedEx who damaged it. I work in a distribution facility and we get a ton of FedEx that my superiors order. Almost every single box is broken open, dinged, dented, or torn. FedEx treats their boxes horribly.

OP
OP
Mkkari

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have taken it to my lfs store and got credit.
If I recieved a dead fish or coral I would want a refund too.

This just happened to me a month ago. The box was wet and smashed with no water in the bag, coral dead.
Seller refunded me and all is good.
I would have shipped it myself and paid insurance for something of that value.
Its not the lfs fault.
The buyer should get his money back, imo.
Fedex does not pay insurance for livestock, just FYI because we tried doing it.

OP
OP
Mkkari

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50/50 split is not taking 100% of the hit.. Suggest refunding the 500, buyer doesn't receive refund for shipping, and keep the zoas. Not trying to sound mean, but the title says opinions, but it sounds more like you're wanting to hear us tell you to tell the buyer tough luck..
I dont know how you felt that with my comment, clearly 100% hit as mentioned in that comment is not right and does not mean 50/50 whatsoever.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad, I’m sorry to hear about your situation. :(

If you guys did not discuss a DOA clause whatsoever, you are not responsible whatsoever.

You did the best that you could shipping it - my guess is it’s FedEx who damaged it. I work in a distribution facility and we get a ton of FedEx that my superiors order. Almost every single box is broken open, dinged, dented, or torn. FedEx treats their boxes horribly.
Assuming the transaction was through PayPal and not friends and family, then I suspect OP will be the one being out because I almost guarantee if they don't agree on something the buyer will dispute it. From what I understand PayPal almost always sides with the buyer in these situations.

If you look at people selling livestock it is almost always that the seller assumes responsibility for DOA whether the seller is a business or an individual.

Either way it is a sad situation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back