I want to get into sps but have questions

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get into sps but I’m unsure. For starters I only have a favia and gsp in my tank and that’s it. I don’t have radions or any of the expensive equipment. It’s pretty much aqueon power heads and some cheap but not terrible coral lights that I have been running for a year with no issues. My tank is well cycled and parameters are very stable. They might slightly fluctuate with my water changes every two weeks but not by much. What do I need to start out? I love birds nest and monti caps but I’d also want to try acros as well. What are tips and mistakes you’ve made /learned from with sps? It’s a 45 gallon aqueon aquarium with a hang on the back filter and hang on the back protein skimmer rated for 60 gallons and it does a very good job at keeping th nutrients low. The only supplement I have on hand is kalkwasser, do I need fancy equipment? There is a lot of information and it’s overwhelming

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add Stoney type corals after I see the coralline algae on my glass.
This indicates that the water chemistry is ready, and light, intensity and spectrum is correct.
Then toss in what you want.

You need balanced nutrients in the form of trace N and P.
Say N 1-5ppm, say P 0.05-.1ppm

Water changes should keep things in check for initial frag growth.

Need flow, say 10-30 times tank turnover....

OP
OP
That1guy07

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only add Stoney type corals after I see the coralline algae on my glass.
This indicates that the water chemistry is ready, and light, intensity and spectrum is correct.
Then toss in what you want.
I have it growing on my rocks if that counts

OP
OP
That1guy07

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound ready :) You dont need fancy equipment, although you may find you need to upgrade your light in the future
I run 2 30w hipargero lights on my tank. I got them off amazon however they do not sell them anymore on Amazon

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and see if a fellow reefer around you has a par meter, and test your par. You don't need crazy expensive lights to grow SPS.You do need a light that can output the proper spectrum and Par. Chinese black boxes are known to grow SPS just like your Ecotech, AI, and Kessil they just lack the controls.

Besides lights, you want to make sure that you keep consistent parameters when it comes to the big 3 Alk, Cal, and Mag.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a really cheep sps frag and see how it handles it, that's what I did. Now I have 6 sps and acros. Never thought my tank would handle them and it totally did.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your other threads. Thank you for what you do and what you give to others. Now, speaking fairly and honestly, no, your tank isn’t ready for SPS. If the pics in your Xenia thread are current, SPS will not do well and will likely die. Dino’s, uncontrolled algae, unknown nutrient levels, that is not the proper environment for SPS. There is more work to be done to ensure success.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Had a tort that died very quickly in an old tank. Turned brown, no extension.

Now in the tank I have, the tort is so happy, I swear the polyps are extending so much, they lift off the flesh. Kinda crazy

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at you other thread, how are you testing nitrates, phosphates, alk, calium, salinity, etc? Are you making RODI water? Buying it?

I wouldn’t add more corals until you have a handle on the tank. You do not need the best equipment to grow SPS, consistent parameters and patience is absolutely required.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your tank setup and how long have you had the favia and GSP? If your a new hobbyist I would suggest focus on LPS first before going to SPS. The issue with SPS is they wont give instant gratification and lets be honest we all wanted an instant tank the first year.

Back