I want to go big…. BUT do I ? 250 ~400 gallons

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s up all I have been lurking a while now and have had several reef aquariums over the last decade. From 10 to 250 gallons. Im about to do my basement and have been contemplating the following tanks.

48x84x24
48x96x24
44x72x24
All peninsula style

I am between miracles and custom aquariums for the build I have 8 xr30 g6 blues I scored at a KILLER deal new in box

I’m just concerned with the demands and if I will fail I have a 75 now with a fishroom sump in the basement that’s 8x12 and 65 gallon salt with 110 gallon ro mix stations. I am versed in plumbing and fish rooms and always have been. This will be my forever home for the next decade. So I feel like it’s time.

the tank will back up to the fishroom and the sump and qt systems will be inside there.
I am looking at Luna bash sea and advanced acrylics for the sump build. With it being roughly 72x20x18 with two vectras on 1” returns and a closed loop vectors blowing from the front back to the overflow to minimize power heads.

wht are some other members experiences before I take the plunge? What’s too big and what’s the sweet spot ? I am leaning towards the 48x72x24

I have planned a 100 cfm air exchanger for humidity in the fishroom area and a standard dehumidifier on the wall draining into sink
we are laying the basement out in solid works and I can post drawings soon for review

thanks !
glenn in Chicago

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you haven't talked to Joe, at glass cages, you're doing yourself a disservice, and yes, you want to go Big
I’ve talked to him. They use soooo much glass it will weigh as much as a bus and they are priced higher than miracles. Joes cool but not sure if it’s for me

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked to him. They use soooo much glass it will weigh as much as a bus and they are priced higher than miracles. Joes cool but not sure if it’s for me
Yeah. They build Incredible Tanks.

Why is the weight of the glass box with a 250 to 400 gallon tank a concern.. the difference in glass thickness weight seems like it would be a rounding error compared to the glass water rock weight. That size tank has to have a very sturdy frame no matter the glass thickness.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Glasscages. But I know what you mean. They use thick glass, which means lots of weight. But their tanks are strong and last for many years. And I love mine!

I think the sweet spot size wise depends on a few factors.
1. Water change regiment. How much new saltwater can you make and how big of a water change will you do bi-weekly or weekly?
2. How many big healthy tangs do you want to keep in your tank?

Go as big as needed to solve #2 without going so big that you can't effectively handle #1.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. They build Incredible Tanks.

Why is the weight of the glass box with a 250 to 400 gallon tank a concern.. the difference in glass thickness weight seems like it would be a rounding error compared to the glass water rock weight. That size tank has to have a very sturdy frame no matter the glass thickness.
I have to get it down the stairs lol that’s the issue.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on Glasscages. But I know what you mean. They use thick glass, which means lots of weight. But their tanks are strong and last for many years. And I love mine!

1. Water change regiment. How much new saltwater can you make and how big of a water change will you do bi-weekly or weekly?

Go as big as needed to solve #2 without going so big that you can't effectively handle #1.
Not much of a tang guy. But I think a 84x48 could hold a crew and a 65 gallon wc bi weekly should suffice.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like your logic.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my build - 12 foot x 48 x 30 peninsula in Chicagoland.

With a peninsula ... 48 deep (front to back) is no problem.

Agree that staying under 28 tall makes life easier. 30 is the maximum height I would ever want. Of the three sizes you mentioned... they are all doable. The complexity of circulating water, HVAC issues, and getting the tank installed - will be what makes the biggest difference between the biggest and smallest tank. Probably four times the hassle from the smallest to the biggest on your list - IME.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can check out my build - 12 foot x 48 x 30 peninsula in Chicagoland.

With a peninsula ... 48 deep (front to back) is no problem.

Agree that staying under 28 tall makes life easier. 30 is the maximum height I would ever want. Of the three sizes you mentioned... they are all doable. The complexity of circulating water, HVAC issues, and getting the tank installed - will be what makes the biggest difference between the biggest and smallest tank. Probably four times the hassle from the smallest to the biggest on your list - IME.

do you allow visitors lol you are just the guy I want to come across for some brain picking on setup and schematics. I’ve done a lot of research here but seeing it in person make a huge difference.
I’m going to go skim the thread now :)

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x96x24 would be awesome for rockscape doable with 7’ harder with 6’. I like a lot of rock in my scapes though. My next tank will be 48x96x26 so I can have a 2” sand bed without losing that height. 6 foot will look more cube shaped than peninsula with those dimensions which would also be cool. I will be going through glass cages as well.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bigger tank in our finished basement back in the day. For me it was outta sight, outta mind. I did maintain it but did not really enjoy it. So for me, I only want a tank that I can keep in my main living space, and now that I am in my 6th decade I don't want too rigorous maintenance. My sump is in the basement and I fill the ATO once a week, and I use to do my weekly water change but the tank is more stable now only needing that every 2-3 weeks now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 275 glass cages while it’s heavy it’s manageable… 2 guys lifted it off a cart on to the stand.. I had 4 of us just in case “one each corner” with heavy duty suction cups when we took it down and moved it and was no big deal at all..

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a bigger tank in our finished basement back in the day. For me it was outta sight, outta mind. I did maintain it but did not really enjoy it. So for me, I only want a tank that I can keep in my main living space, and now that I am in my 6th decade I don't want too rigorous maintenance. My sump is in the basement and I fill the ATO once a week, and I use to do my weekly water change but the tank is more stable now only needing that every 2-3 weeks now.
I agree 100% but it’s not in the cards with the wife or the space we have. So I gotta take what I got

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.jpg

Working on some layouts

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I e placed a deposit with Derek at miracles to get in line and need to have my dimensions finalized by Monday…. I’m reallllly considering changing from a peninsula to a 10 ft long tank 28-30 wide and 26 tall vs the 96x42x26 peninsula. Thoughts? I just think the 10ft front pane will be jaw dropping from the sofa.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 275 glass cages while it’s heavy it’s manageable… 2 guys lifted it off a cart on to the stand.. I had 4 of us just in case “one each corner” with heavy duty suction cups when we took it down and moved it and was no big deal at all..
I don't see how this is even remotely possible.

It took 6 on my GC 300, to get it off the trailer and inside, and that wasn't enough.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 120x48x30. The 10' span is impressive. It makes taking FTS photos pretty much impossible. The size and grandeur of the aquarium is really hard to capture. If you have the room go deeper front to back. My prior tank was 96x33 and I liked that depth (limited by size of the room opening). Going from 33" to 48" gives the tank a 3d that can only be enjoyed in person. Kids walk up to the tank and are just amazed how far back the fish go. We just got wet in Sept and started from scratch with corals. The back wall of our tank is covered in slab rock, and there is space between the back wall and the aquascaping. Makes for great flow, fish love it, and as the corals are starting to grow we are really getting a great depth perception to the tank.

Tank is a bit dirty because we are putting new flooring in the tank room this week. But check out the tank on our Webcam. You will get only a bit of a feel of the depth of the aquarium.

webcam is o2manyfish.com

Dave B

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back