I Want To Know Everyone's FAVORITE CHEAP TREASURES.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gobies. I have a yellow clown and a green clown goby. They yellow is the smallest in the tank but acts like it's the biggest bad A$ in the tank.

Casey Erb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pompom crab......
A52A9B06-DEB5-4D4C-8DDB-41A1E65EED21.jpeg

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tangs... all these other super expensive tangs and I still think the yellow tangs are the most beautiful. Not rare but definitely more vibrant and adds a loud pop in color to my tank. To add, they are great in algae control. Beautiful and useful!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. This little 1/2" burrfish that I collected in New York. When he grew to about 5" I gave him to the New York Aquarium.

And this little Dragon Faced Pipe.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few cheap favorites.
My refugium. I love seeing the algae in there. A giant single celled organism that grows and thrives is very cool to me.
Watching the pods move around is also very neat.
My tuxedo urchin. He has taken to a nice camouflage that actually works by wrapping himself in caulerpa. I love what he picks up and what he thinks is a "disguise" most of the time but this time he really nailed it!

My favorite, but maybe not too cheap, is my yellow boxfish. He is by far my favorite fish and just keeps me in awe. He comes up to greet me and, when i put my hand in the tank, ever so slowly zooms away. He checks out every change I make to the tank with such an inquisitive little fish mind. I believe he is smarter than a lot of my other fish.

FB_IMG_1573311680187.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although initially not cheap.... I'm blessed and excited to own an Apex.

Think about it... this thing virtually runs 90% of my tank functions AND send me a text when something's wrong....from anywhere in the world I might be AND allows me to change settings on the fly via the internet

$800 spread out over 8yrs and counting = 27cents per day (roughly)

. ... of having an electronic personal assistant looking over my tank and keeping things running.

27cents a day....That's amazing cheap for the value it brings me

Last edited:

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of some of my clean up crew members like the pincushion urchin and tiger conch, but by far the cheapest are the mini brittle stars who hitchhiked in on my live rock. (Who doesn't like free?) I love spot feeding them with mysis shrimp. They wave their little arms out from the live rock and grab onto it when I feed it to them from a turkey baster.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for me it's the accomplishment of keeping a thriving and "problem free" (knock on wood) aquarium. Moving from fresh to saltwater definitely had its challenges but I am happy to say my tank is thriving.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass, such an underrated neat little reef fish.

Trapezia (acro crabs) I not only think are very neat, but also beneficial to the corals they inhabit. Sometimes you can find them individually for sale for ~$15.

Dang you're right! If only I knew how to keep acropora alive... lol gone through three anemones (ironically, the anemone shrimp I mentioned earlier actually ATE the last one!) :mad: Anyway those crabs are pretty epic. They have half a dozen maybe on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den rn

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tangs... all these other super expensive tangs and I still think the yellow tangs are the most beautiful. Not rare but definitely more vibrant and adds a loud pop in color to my tank. To add, they are great in algae control. Beautiful and useful!

I like tangs too, can't fit one in a twenty gallon tho hehehe

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goofy hermit crab that has a way oversized shell. Every time I feed the tank he gets excited and does a funny sideways lap around the tank trying to get as much of the food as possible.

CValentine68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say this thread also includes any animals that maybe you like but everyone else thinks are ugly so you can share those too
Sea Hares may be apparently ugly, but are a wonder of wealth on knocking out red algae and seeing them filter the substrate through there porthole on their back is amazing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back