I want to rip clean my 300 gallon tank

BRS

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It’ll be a record, largest one I’ve seen. Prepping the sand for re use, or new sand prepped for use, that step alone is predicted to take eighty days of straight rinsing, recommend is to hire a six man rinse crew and work them in shifts fours days on, three off etc.

OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rip clean in progress

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 52
Fritz

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
excellent.

-what kind of rocks are we putting back in, cycled ones?

-buckets from homie depot. sections of sand, ten neighborhood children bribed with Minecraft tokens all with tap hose and just swish dump/swish dump retain sand till mega clear.

final rinse in RO and then set aside.

technically no ro rinse needed, the chlorine w dissipate easily by next day. there is nothing bad in your tap water that will harm anything, that no RO step customization will save you tons.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I will require at minimum six bacteria living in the new system in order to skip cycle effectively, though at 300 gallons dilution and with mitotic luck on my side a fat 3 cell transfer will still work.

how about leave me six rocks not baked burnt or blasted heh

Zoanthids
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I will require at minimum six bacteria living in the new system in order to skip cycle effectively, though at 300 gallons dilution and with mitotic luck on my side a fat 3 cell transfer will still work.

how about leave me six rocks not baked burnt or blasted heh
I got about 7-8 pieces that are with the fish.
image.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
agree that's totally enough. That degree of live transfer even if rest is inert, also agreed some will live for sure, will skip cycle

nicely done. watch the holding bucket for any fish changes and do a water change in it if the live rocks brought any waste in, but it looks on track. these pics are golden, well done execution so far.

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have no exp w any mortar

and two days ago there was a total loss thread from epoxy use/I'd have to defer to anyone's patterned work thread on those, tough customizations there for sure to consider. some epoxies are known reef safe, the curing process matters tremendously for sure.

above I mentioned no bad stuff in tap. to clarify: ive read chemistry posts on obviously bad copper or other items in tap

the contact duration so low so rare, based on sand rinse thread which is all tap, my statement should say such a low incidence its a nonfactor. either way am relaying the safest info I feel can be found on the internet for the job.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
the sludge digesters are too slow for the initial job we consider all forms of detritus relocation to be the exact locus of the risk.

use pressurized toy water guns, repay the kids again to jet out all the pockets this is reef dentistry. jetting those rocks opens pores, opens expands surface area. any additive is specifically more clogging. get a home depot pressure sprayer plugin, sixty bucks maybe that's awesome. packed in old tankwater. jet flush exactly like gum pocket evacuation.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week