I want to rip clean my 300 gallon tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be a record, largest one I’ve seen. Prepping the sand for re use, or new sand prepped for use, that step alone is predicted to take eighty days of straight rinsing, recommend is to hire a six man rinse crew and work them in shifts fours days on, three off etc.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip clean in progress

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleached the rocks. They are sitting in the sun for now.

I put them in bleach for a few seconds. I don’t care if the rocks die...they’ll come back to life in a few months.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent.

-what kind of rocks are we putting back in, cycled ones?

-buckets from homie depot. sections of sand, ten neighborhood children bribed with Minecraft tokens all with tap hose and just swish dump/swish dump retain sand till mega clear.

final rinse in RO and then set aside.

technically no ro rinse needed, the chlorine w dissipate easily by next day. there is nothing bad in your tap water that will harm anything, that no RO step customization will save you tons.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s somewhat easier to rinse sand in small batches. With buckets and a garden hose.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blast the rocks with the hose too. Since you already bleached them

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will require at minimum six bacteria living in the new system in order to skip cycle effectively, though at 300 gallons dilution and with mitotic luck on my side a fat 3 cell transfer will still work.

how about leave me six rocks not baked burnt or blasted heh

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will require at minimum six bacteria living in the new system in order to skip cycle effectively, though at 300 gallons dilution and with mitotic luck on my side a fat 3 cell transfer will still work.

how about leave me six rocks not baked burnt or blasted heh
I got about 7-8 pieces that are with the fish.
image.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree that's totally enough. That degree of live transfer even if rest is inert, also agreed some will live for sure, will skip cycle

nicely done. watch the holding bucket for any fish changes and do a water change in it if the live rocks brought any waste in, but it looks on track. these pics are golden, well done execution so far.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m going to do a rock structure. I was thinking of using epoxy, but will mortar from Home Depot work better?

55AE79BC-2B5D-4BC7-8D6A-A95BE452D9B4.png

I will need to make a base out of the mortar or epoxy. Which one should I buy?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no exp w any mortar

and two days ago there was a total loss thread from epoxy use/I'd have to defer to anyone's patterned work thread on those, tough customizations there for sure to consider. some epoxies are known reef safe, the curing process matters tremendously for sure.

above I mentioned no bad stuff in tap. to clarify: ive read chemistry posts on obviously bad copper or other items in tap

the contact duration so low so rare, based on sand rinse thread which is all tap, my statement should say such a low incidence its a nonfactor. either way am relaying the safest info I feel can be found on the internet for the job.

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe epoxy would would be quicker safer. I’ve heard good things about oceans wonder epoxy.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard mortar needs a 4 week soak in RODI with regular water changes or it will leach calcium hydroxide, precipitate magnesium, raise pH and cause general havoc.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sludge digesters are too slow for the initial job we consider all forms of detritus relocation to be the exact locus of the risk.

use pressurized toy water guns, repay the kids again to jet out all the pockets this is reef dentistry. jetting those rocks opens pores, opens expands surface area. any additive is specifically more clogging. get a home depot pressure sprayer plugin, sixty bucks maybe that's awesome. packed in old tankwater. jet flush exactly like gum pocket evacuation.

Back