I want to start my first reef. What are the cheapest, essential options for my setup?

Django_SB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 25-gallon tank with a complete setup for freshwater fish, but I want to build a reef instead.

I'm looking for the most affordable options for sumps, return pumps, power heads, and what all is absolutely essential to maintain a reef.

I know that sumps aren't essential, but do I still need lots of other equipment in place of the sump? Does that route really save any money? I'm also willing to save up a bit more for equipment if it means less maintenance. I don't mind maintenance, but I want to lower the chance of me damaging coral from regular cleanings.

Also, I have a 1000W LED light that I used for growing weed plants previously. It's mostly full-spectrum, but primarily blues and reds. Would that be sufficient to grow coral?

I also learned that coralline algae can help take space and resources from harmful algae as well as cementing the coral/live rock structure together. Where can I find some, and should I have other algae in the sump if I get one? I'm also confused as to the purpose of all the different chambers of sumps. Any info on them is appreciated.

Should I start my reef off with live rock, coralline, and algae eaters before adding coral to the habitat? If so, how long should I let the tank and bacteria cultures mature before adding coral?

Finally, what algae eaters would take care of dinoflagellates and red slime or any other harmful algae while leaving the coralline alone? Preferably ones that also eat more common algae so they don't starve or attack the coralline in absence of dangerous algae.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 25-gallon tank with a complete setup for freshwater fish, but I want to build a reef instead.

I'm looking for the most affordable options for sumps, return pumps, power heads, and what all is absolutely essential to maintain a reef.
Your best option is to purchase an AIO (all in one tank)
Also, I have a 1000W LED light that I used for growing weed plants previously. It's mostly full-spectrum, but primarily blues and reds. Would that be sufficient to grow coral?

Yes

I also learned that coralline algae can help take space and resources from harmful algae as well as cementing the coral/live rock structure together. Where can I find some, and should I have other algae in the sump if I get one? I'm also confused as to the purpose of all the different chambers of sumps. Any info on them is appreciated.
Should I start my reef off with live rock, coralline, and algae eaters before adding coral to the habitat? If so, how long should I let the tank and bacteria cultures mature before adding coral?
Finally, what algae eaters would take care of dinoflagellates and red slime or any other harmful algae while leaving the coralline alone?
None
Preferably ones that also eat more common algae so they don't starve or attack the coralline in absence of dangerous algae.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know that sumps aren't essential, but do I still need lots of other equipment in place of the sump? Does that route really save any money? I'm also willing to save up a bit more for equipment if it means less maintenance. I don't mind maintenance, but I want to lower the chance of me damaging coral from regular cleanings.

Finally, what algae eaters would take care of dinoflagellates and red slime or any other harmful algae while leaving the coralline alone? Preferably ones that also eat more common algae so they don't starve or attack the coralline in absence of dangerous algae.
What corals are trying to keep. Everyone has a budget. Mine was 5k of a 50 gallon reef. I was well above that after 3+ months so far

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of questions - I'll hit a general overview for you because it's Monday and I need to get to working.

If you have a freshwater setup, I'll assume that it is not drilled. There is a good chance that it is tempered. If you dig around, there is a chart somewhere from Aqueon telling you which panels of what sizes are tempered. a 20 gallon could work with a ten gallon sump, or a canister filter or a HOB filter. As an alternative, have you considered turning your 20 gallon into a sump and getting a larger DT? Personally, that gets my vote.
Your sump typically holds your return pump, protein skimmer, and possibly a heater or some type of refugium or reactor if you have that need and space. It also provides additional water volume, which helps keep the tank stable.

Think of nano tanks like speed boats, things happen very quickly and it is easy for something to get out of control. Bigger tanks, wider turns, easier to catch problems before they become problems.

I have no confidence in your light. Save some money and get a good light dedicated to the coral spectrum unless you are only planning on FOWLR.

Corraline comes as the tank establishes itself. Some people use that "Corraline in a bottle". Personally, I find that to be snake oil. Get some live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater in the Fall or one of the other vendors now. If you are afraid of hitchhikers, get some "real reef" rock from your LFS that has been seeded in one of their tanks. I personally am not a fan of white "dry" rock. For a new system, using live rock will help you add beneficial bacteria to jump start your cycle. Same with live sand. That is what you need to be thinking about right now. Cyano, dinos ... these things can and do happen but there are ways to deal with them when and if you cross that bridge. Baby steps.... set up a strong biological filtration system now. You need that you support all life in your tank.

DO NOT RUSH THE PROCESS. Cycling your tank takes time. Everything has its job and nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Don't be in a hurry to add corals, and other inhabitants. Start with your live rock and sand. If you feel compelled, you can add Dr. Tim's Once and Only. Keep testing until your tank goes through the nitrogen cycle. There are lots of threads on how to cycle a tank as well as videos on BRS and others. Watch them.

You can get a lot of good, second hand equipment here on the marketplace, so keep your eyes open. A decent wavemaker for the price would be Hydor Koralia. They are bulky but they work well for a few years. By then, your budget may allow you something smaller and better. wavemakers get smaller and more intelligent all of the time. Like everything else in this hobby, you have basics then you have the bells and whistles. Whatever you think you're going to budget on this, double it and go from there. The best piece of equipment you should invest in for stability is an ATO. That will keep your salinity in check, which is crucial to everything in your system. I just got the Smart ATO lite fro AutoAqua on Amazon a week ago for about $50, which is a steal. It is typically about $80. - get one. Also, stay away from the SeaClone HOB protein skimmer. It's junk - if you make a sump, put the skimmer in the sump. There are lots to choose from.

OK - gotta go get paid to afford my tank. LOL
Let us know how else we may be of help. Remember - the planning is the best part. Take your time, enjoy the view. Welcome to the salty family!!

Monday Quarantine GIF by The Office

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already received some great advice here. Just keep in mind that the goal of a marine aquarium is actually build a viable, self-sustaining ecosystem in a small volume of water, and not just "keep fish" or "grow corals". That may be easier to do in a larger build, but I don't find nano tanks to be particularly difficult to keep. Pico builds (5 gallons or less), especially when they're jars, can be very unforgiving, though.

I suggest that you buy a Fluval Evo 13.5. It's a great little AIO tank that needs very few upgrades to the stock equipment. And it's cheap: a tank, with a decent refractometer, heater, salt, sand and rock won't set you back much more than $300 CAD/$200 USD. Many of us can and do keep SPS with the stock lighting, and it's big enough for two or three fish. And later, if you decide that you're ready for a bigger tank, you can keep the Evo as a quarantine tank.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%

Back