I want to start my own frag tank but how

Drdonrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there

I have always wanted to star marine tanks and now I think it's some I'm planning to start a 10-20g nano tank just with frags inside and see how it does

I've kept tropical fish for over 15 years so not a stranger to the fish world

Can anyone guide me how to start from scratch. And what I need such as salts and stuff

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 40 breeder. Drilled with another 40 breeder for a sump.

Some t5’s and reefbright strips and a couple of powerheads and some egg crate for a frag rack

Works in 3 of my local fish stores very well

OP
OP
D

Drdonrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 40 breeder. Drilled with another 40 breeder for a sump.

Some t5’s and reefbright strips and a couple of powerheads and some egg crate for a frag rack

Works in 3 of my local fish stores very well
Great reply but that sounds out of my budget the nano tanks I've seen have the filters and stuff built in back

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeders are about 50$ used around here.... you can make a stand with 2x4's and plywood and t5's are about 30$ a ballast and 15$ per bulb

return pump in the 300gph range is gonna be 30$

how much for an all in one tank that has an inadequate light for growing corals?

OP
OP
D

Drdonrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeders are about 50$ used around here.... you can make a stand with 2x4's and plywood and t5's are about 30$ a ballast and 15$ per bulb

return pump in the 300gph range is gonna be 30$

how much for an all in one tank that has an inadequate light for growing corals?

Now that sounds very ideal for me but then again I still want something small as I am limited to small space and don't want an extra sump just a all in one nano tank

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 Long tank with a aqua clear filter rated for 75+ gallons. 1 or 2 power heads and a Chinese black box for lighting.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn anything into a frag tank... all a matter of how many frags you planning on keeping.

I've recycled an old Fluval Edge 6G with stock HOB and just added a decent light and an ATO for safe measures. I've also done the same with a Fluval Spec V (which BTW is exactly the same setup as a Fluval Evo 5G, except that the latter has a slightly better light)...

When. I use these smaller tanks, I've also added live sand and rocks for extra bio filtration... it's a potentially low nutrient system but some padding doesn't hurt. In these setups, I also change about 10-15% water weekly.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a nice frag rack by drilling holes in quarter inch acrylic. Palyzoa’s suggestion of the 20 long should work. Unless you are growing good sized colonies, a 20 long will handle up to 50 frags. You don’t need a bunch of filtration because corals have lower metabolisms than fish. For algae control a few snails and maybe a lawn mower blenny epsilon do the job .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back