I want to start out in the hobby with a 20 gallon AIO tank but I am unsure if that is large enough for beginner mistakes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer keeping smaller tanks myself, but I would suggest to consider 30-40 gallons. The main issue with a 20 gallon is that you really limit the type and number of fish you can have. If you go according to recommended tanks size (and I always do), very few fish can go into a 20, but at 30 gallons it opens up a larger variety of fish that you can keep.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 20 long, drilled it and had a 10gal sump. Within a month, I swapped the 10gal for a 20gal long sump. The added volume/size was great. A 20 aio will be tricky, I prefer a sump due to the extra volume/size/room for activities. You will want a skimmer and an ato in the back, so the size of skimmer you can use will be extremely limited.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah to be honest unless you like spending extra money I wouldn’t bother with aio tanks. Standard 30 or 40 gallon tank is a good starter size, if you want long and shallow a 33 long is a good one but hard to find, 40 longs are even harder to find. Couple wave pumps to start you off then just add a few hob filters, aqua clear 110 filters make a functional refugium without breaking the bank. I started with a 20 gallon high and wasn’t happy with it in the end, not gonna cost you much more to jump up to a 30-40 gallon tank.

Edit: 40 breeder is probably the best for aquascaping though, lots of room to work with.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah to be honest unless you like spending extra money I wouldn’t bother with aio tanks. Standard 30 or 40 gallon tank is a good starter size, if you want long and shallow a 33 long is a good one but hard to find, 40 longs are even harder to find. Couple wave pumps to start you off then just add a few hob filters, aqua clear 110 filters make a functional refugium without breaking the bank. I started with a 20 gallon high and wasn’t happy with it in the end, not gonna cost you much more to jump up to a 30-40 gallon tank.
I totally agree with this, but the OP seems to be looking for a rimless tank. I cannot fault him, I prefer the look of rimless tanks as well.

I think the best value AIO tanks are all less than 30 gallon in capacity. Once it approaches $1000, it is almost as expensive as a Red Sea Reefer 170 (with sump).

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the smaller tank is easier only because you are more likely to do water changes when it doesn't feel like a chore. If you only have to change out 2.5 gallons once weekly it goes really fast.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah didn’t catch the rimless part, yeah that slims the options down and increases the price but typically easier to setup an ato. I actually prefer the rim, gives me something to track my water line by.

But I’m also too cheap to buy an ato, for the cost and space for it I just leave a 2.5G jug of rodi next to the tank and top off manually twice a day. Tank is next to a French door, the jug makes a perfect door stop otherwise the handle would hit the tank if not paying attention.

OP
OP
Elit940

Elit940

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: 40 breeder is probably the best for aquascaping though, lots of room to work with.
I want to go with a fully tricked out 69 gallon waterbox is that too much?

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it go for it, just don’t forget to factor everything else you are gonna need.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not enough, what are budget larger o
If it is not enough, what are budget larger options?
smaller tanks have less margin for error, part of me wishes I didn’t start with a BC29, but on the flip side you learn very fast and gain a ton of experience when things are that way.

Back