I want to upgrade my return pump…will I ruin my sump water level?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they overflow, what do you think they’re filtering?
Sorry. I misunderstood what you wrote. I meant to say when they are full they overflow.

I have to change them every other day. They used to clog every few hours but with time it appears they got bigger.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 micron socks pretty frequently. Two them on a 70 gallon tank will last 3 days before they overflow (unless I'm doing some maintenance in the tank). Didn't the OP mention something about adding sand just before this started? My guess is the sand is too fine for the amount of flow in the tank it's and getting blown around in the tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spieg is correct, too much flow for your sand particulate size. Lose the sand, reduce in tank flow, or redirect so the sand is not being blown around.
Increasing return pump gph will not help.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spieg @Pistondog

I think this problem arose when I added new dry sand. But here’s the thing: I ONLY have special grade sand which is a corse sand.

It’s possible fine dust is blowing around. I did rinse it but I think it’s impossible to completely rinse out fine dust.

I will update this thread. I ordered 3 marine land diatom filters (My tank is too large for only 2). I will run it “as needed”. I will definitely update with my results because I did a lot of research online and people go through this particle problem all too often (with no actual diagnosis on the cause of the particles). Although I think my particle problem does have a cause.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is the best plan. You've made changes. Give it 2-3 weeks - and see how things look. The good thing is those particles are not going to hurt anything. I would hold off on the diatom filters for now - simply because - (as an experienced user myself) - they will be too small for a 125 gallon tank (i.e. 2 for a 250) you will find them needing to be cleaned quite often, etc.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess you didn’t give it 2-3 weeks?
I’m sorry. I didn’t. I felt like there’s a problem that needs to be fixed.

I suppose I have nothing to lose by waiting. It just really bothers me because I feel like it’s going to last forever

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry. I didn’t. I felt like there’s a problem that needs to be fixed.

I suppose I have nothing to lose by waiting. It just really bothers me because I feel like it’s going to last forever

I get it and appreciate your concern. Just trying to say it’s hard to figure things out sometimes when lots of things change and you don’t give it time. That’s all. Good luck with it. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it and appreciate your concern. Just trying to say it’s hard to figure things out sometimes when lots of things change and you don’t give it time. That’s all. Good luck with it. Fingers crossed.
Ok. I’m going to wait it out for 2 weeks. I’ve had this tank for a while (but restarted it 2-4 months ago). I never had a particle problem before. My water was show-stopping clear.

Maybe since all my plumbing dried up and then restarted it got caked up and is slowly releasing back? Maybe because I added dry rocks a few weeks ago? Maybe my dry sand? It’s impossible to pinpoint it. I guess waiting for maybe a month more can help even better!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back