I Was Wrong, My Six line Wrasse Story (Learn From My Mistake)

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several 6 lines but due to a variety of life circumstances, we've moved a lot and really never had the same tank for more than a year or so. Currently, I have one in my 32 Biocube with a YCG and a tiny Tomini tang (Tang police, please stay home, he's good for now). So far, no issues. However, I also structured the rock in my tank so I can take it all out if need be to capture him, or any other fish, knowing things change. One of the many benefits of the small tank :)

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew that about 6 line...
I have 1 for 5 + years , used to be in dt but now in frag tank

And 1 for a year now in new dt....
Neither one ,Never messed with any other citizens in tank......
Although, I have introduced 4 or 5 leopard wrasse over time, and all went immediately under sand bed, never to be seen again.....

Hmmmmmmm.....

Waiting for some to land locally to try again...

Last one was a bluestar,,,,

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My year and half old guy is a little torpedo in the 60, gets along with everyone. Never seen any aggression. Sorry to hear about your ordeal

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is something to be said about the order to which fish should be added. More dominate fish should be added last and those that have been successful with the 6-line wrasse most likely have had a young one that was added in the mix or they have added the wrasse last. Seams your issue happened because you were adding a new fish with an established 6-line wrasse upsetting the established territory it now has to defend. I also think there is a thread around here about multiple wrasse additions and needing to properly introduce them in a holding box until they reduce aggression.
On a different but similar type of circumstance, I had a damsel that was excellent while it was small, never chased anyone down. I went to add a new fish and then it started to chase down all of the tank mates even the ones it was "friendly" with. I then re-homed it as I have a new stocking plan and the damsel's aggression made it not part of the plan.
I then added a workman gobbie to my tank and my coral beauty became sort of a bully, added a Midas blenny a few days later and all it good in the tank again. LFS said that is a common thing to do when you might have an aggressive fish, add more then one and it becomes more than the bully can police.
I have 2 more fish to add to my tank and I am hoping I can add them 1 at a time but if not, I plan on adding the harder to find fish first and the easy to find fish last so I have a backup plan to out number the coral beauty again.
Sorry for your fish loss, maybe one of the lessons learned is the same as much of the hobby, Patience...

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is irrelevant in this context but your damsel story is interesting.
Patience is very relevant. You chose to not have patience and time to wait and catch the 6-line wrasse, then purchased the other fish anyway. It took me 5 days with a homemade bottle fish trap to catch my damsel....I left that part out.

OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough point. I can see your point. Based on his behavior I felt like the trap wasn’t going to work with him. I’m also not keen on starving the reef and I have pods he could eat for a while. I waited a couple days but maybe could have waited longer. He was a savvy fish though I felt a tear down was the only method oR using the leopard for bait the next day. Adding the 6line last was not really an option as most of my fish came over from a previous tank... he was last in that tank. If I had to rewind time I would just be more forward thinking and give him away at time of tank switch. I just know I’ll never add one again unless it’s in a frag tank. But yea, I could have held out food for days in my reef, but I’m not willing to do that. That’s part is a choice, not a lapse in patience. But yes, I could have left the trap in for a week or so and fed through it every day in hopes his behavior would change... I suppose it’s possible it would have. I see your point of view there.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it, I honestly thought it was dead lol. How deep do they borrow in the sand bed?

Not that deep really. They tend to just make sure they are covered but won't go more than an inch or two under the sand.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 6-lines with no issues and yes there can be some that are a bit feistier. I never had a problem but then again I know it is not wise to mix certain fish or there can be aggression. I am not surprised you added same type fish and saw this happen.

Back