I wasnt blown away, is it just me ?

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! ;)

Men don't cry about STUFF either. They work harder to get what they want.

Whatever floats your boat, go get it. If someone's got it. Don't be jealous. Go get it!!

We can sit back and cry about the cost of living all day (everything cost an arm and a leg now). Or go out knuckle down and get what you want.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Florch from the super-crazy flash-sale-madness thing from @WWC and thought it was just a typo...... It’s a Frogspawn and torch hybrid apparently. It is already growing pretty well, and it is REALLY cool....... was $70 maybe? Either way, no way would the same thing with different colors ever make me pay more than $150 or so, but I would buy a dozen at $100 ea. or so...... very cool looking coral

Lights just came on, and it has been in the new tank less than 24h but it still looks good.
image.jpg

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High prices mean it will go to whoever values it most. Usually this means commercial concerns who will care for it grow it out and increase the likely hood of affordable prices in the future. With few exceptions, every crazy priced coral I can remember from 5 years ago is now much more affordable. These initially high prices are *good* for the hobby in the long term.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High prices mean it will go to whoever values it most. Usually this means commercial concerns who will care for it grow it out and increase the likely hood of affordable prices in the future. With few exceptions, every crazy priced coral I can remember from 5 years ago is now much more affordable. These initially high prices are *good* for the hobby in the long term.

Yes...I love that you bring that up! So true! I was looking at possibly getting a pair of Eclectus Parrots (birds) and found they were $2k a pop. I did some research and found that their survival may depend on private breeders.

I think we tend to forget that these pricey corals are living creatures and some of their survival could depend on our successful care and propagation.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own. If you don't have the $$$ for today's current fad just be patient as prices always eventually drop as another coral takes its place as a "must have". If you do have the $$$ then spend it how you see fit! I'm not personally into the "designer" thing but I'm not about to hate on others for being into it. Diversity is what makes this such an incredible hobby. Lots to share and learn from so many people!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Euphyllia in general seem to have adopted some new fancy names and the price has gone way past nuts. I have some that I paid like $10 for several heads that I see now going for hundreds per head. I guess it’s like clothing, it’s all about a fad.
What fancy names? Oh, golden goddess and King tut, nuclear war heads, or neon jewel hammer? What we become?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fancy names? Oh, golden goddess and King tut, nuclear war heads, or neon jewel hammer? What we become?
Lol pretty much. A few years ago the Hammers with multi colored heads became named splatter Hammers and their price went up 100 fold. Same ones we used to buy for $10-15 lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Men don't cry about STUFF either. They work harder to get what they want.

Whatever floats your boat, go get it. If someone's got it. Don't be jealous. Go get it!!

We can sit back and cry about the cost of living all day (everything cost an arm and a leg now). Or go out knuckle down and get what you want.
1566491644810.png

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ridiculous. Same thing with the bounce mushrooms and all the fancy named Tenuis acros. They look amazing online. Then they show up at your door and they look like any other coral that was $30 before the naming fad started. I guess these expensive named corals do look nice though if you like your tank to be lit so that it looks like the corals are floating in windex though.

My best advice for anyone looking to get into the high end coral game is to go see the corals in person under lighting that is a similar spectrum to your lighting if at all possible.

That's not always true. Some corals truely are amazing in person as they are online. This acro is from wwc. This is a cell pic and no filter

MVIMG_20190822_121920.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not that into euphyllia, so I wouldn't drop that much coin on it, but I'm definitely into other types of corals that I'd pay that much for (well...maybe not bc I don't have the paycheck to do that either... but I would if I could). In any case, I'm happy for those that live these things and can pay for them! More power to those guys! I'll live vicariously by staring at photos of their tanks. :cool:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not always true. Some corals truely are amazing in person as they are online. This acro is from wwc. This is a cell pic and no filter

MVIMG_20190822_121920.jpg

Do you have a pic from their site? What is called on the site?

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this kind of stuff happens in every hobby (Cars, bikes, magazine comics, trading cards) where novelty and the word “holy grail” collide; I think we all have fallen at some point for something of the sort; like many of you have said, is all about how bad one wants it and how deep is one’s wallet.

I know the Aussies laugh at us for the coin we pay per polyp of certain corals and is mainly because they have them at every store, and so, to some of us, buying the pretty frag and religiously tending to it in hopes it takes off seems the only way.

But I do feel the same way...

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is I dont care about the names. Yea seems like everyone wants to know the trade name. But honestly I really wish we went back to using the genus name as well as a trade name. Bc honestly the trade name doesnt tell you anything about the coral. If I want a granulosa or a setosa, or a tenius... I know where it should be placed. I recently bought a few frags online 2 of the frags had different names, and honestly looked different. When I got them and they started to grow i realized they were bothering the exact coral. Probably cut from the same colony just different sections. As they grew they both grew the exact same coraline shapes and colors. But yet they were marketed at different prices and different names. It's very frustrating.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this kind of stuff happens in every hobby (Cars, bikes, magazine comics, trading cards) where novelty and the word “holy grail” collide; I think we all have fallen at some point for something of the sort; like many of you have said, is all about how bad one wants it and how deep is one’s wallet.

I know the Aussies laugh at us for the coin we pay per polyp of certain corals and is mainly because they have them at every store, and so, to some of us, buying the pretty frag and religiously tending to it in hopes it takes off seems the only way.

But I do feel the same way...

Except they are paying well over $100 for a ricordea polyp.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather see a FTS of a naturally aquascaped mature reef than a macro shot of polyps any day of the week. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy the macro shots, I just enjoy the way a tank is more than the sum of it's parts, even more.

I think we all enjoy different aspects to different levels. Some people are into "collecting", some just get peace from their reef :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me , or is this whole exotic torch corL craze blown out of proportion? The other day a LFS had a holy grail torch for 1300 per head. This is the first time seeing one in person. I've seen them on line a thought it was cool but seeing it in person I wasnt knocked over with a feather. Dont get me wrong if you like it and must have it, go for it, but it was just a lime-ish green with colored tips. I was like ehh, for some reason I was expecting more. Idk , like I said maybe it's just me and I love torch coras btw.

I’m not here so much to take a stand on the money issue. I just had to laugh at eddies reaction. Ehh. Love it. That could be my first name :D .I see something wild, shrug my shoulders, say ehh, and move on. Regardless of the item if you’re not interested than you’re not interested. Hence EHH.

1566514569051.gif

Johnnybananas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices have gotten crazy seems like if you slap Indo or super rare on it no matter what it is it’s expensive lol half the time I think some people just make up names

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back