I will literally quit this hobby! Corals lose colors in a matter of days or weeks

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals lose colors in a matter of days and some take weeks or just look pale, I’ve searched through everything and nothing helped.please help if you can!!!!
I’m currently using all for reef and dosing iod by tropic marine, and use tropic marine pro salt. I have one radion g4 and two ai prime my par is shown in the picture. my nitrates are at 15 ppm and everything is on point as you can see in the icp test. Here are some pictures of corals when i buy them and after a while.why my corals lose colors!!!!!!!
please help. A0DA24B4-4B67-4EE4-973C-41DBB689B0CD.jpeg 2199B281-0FA7-4953-9C10-DF7A3DD3245A.jpeg 0C6503BA-B180-4E83-8DB6-2A839D2E3AAB.jpeg BB8AEBA6-6F89-40F4-BB7E-7E8F78B6F4D5.jpeg A9F739B5-9C9F-4376-87A4-CBB042DB9E66.jpeg

Attachments

• main - June 4, 2022 (B-K76LwQ).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you acclimating your coral to the your light? Sometimes if you have too much white and the LFS has more blues in their tanks the coral may bleach. from the change.
I do acclimate them

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the few number of posts, the dinos/diatoms on your sand and your emergency note..sounds like you are new to this hobby and your tank is new? How long have you had it? what are your other paraemtners (PH, alk, ca, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp). sorry didnt see the icp test ..levels look good. Still betting a new tank though

With the lack of knowledge on this...will a POSSIBLE reason. Similar to a human getting a sun tan, Corals change colors based upon the lighting they are exposed to. As such, if you are not mimicing the exact color and par from the tank you got your corals from...it is quite possible that their colors will change to adopt to the new par and color wavelengths they are receiving in your tank.

I have a feeling it is the first paragraph..but the second one is possible too.

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the few number of posts, the dinos/diatoms on your sand and your emergency note..sounds like you are new to this hobby and your tank is new? How long have you had it? what are your other paraemtners (PH, alk, ca, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp)

With the lack of knowledge on this...will a POSSIBLE reason. Similar to a human getting a sun tan, Corals change colors based upon the lighting they are exposed to. As such, if you are not mimicing the exact color and par from the tank you got your corals from...it is quite possible that their colors will change to adopt to the new par and color wavelengths they are receiving in your tank.

The tank is one year old that picture is from a while ago,I don’t have any algae now ,i even bought corals after i solved the issue and same problem is present i kept asking and nothing really helped i really need a solution. Temp at 24C, alk:8.3 nitrate:13 salinity:35 PO4:0.05

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the few number of posts, the dinos/diatoms on your sand and your emergency note..sounds like you are new to this hobby and your tank is new? How long have you had it? what are your other paraemtners (PH, alk, ca, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp). sorry didnt see the icp test ..levels look good. Still betting a new tank though

I attached my icp results

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still look beautiful and like they are growing. Count your successes and don't fret over the small stuff, they don't look bleached or anything. No reason to give up!
In real life they are, every-time i buy a beautiful piece in a matter of days it will look pale, i have tried everything for the past 5 months nothing is working.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still look beautiful and like they are growing. Count your successes and don't fret over the small stuff, they don't look bleached or anything. No reason to give up!
I agree. they look healthy and happy . Sorry about parameters comment. Missed the ICP test.

What is your light schema and schedules? Given your parameters look good and the corals look healthy and growing..this would point to one of two things (in my mind). Lack of certain color enhancement elements (Red Sea Trace Elements) or lighting. There is a reason people have moved to higher blues as opposed to the whites...they color up your corals!!

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do an ICP test.

It could be a very small amount of heavy metal from an old magnet, etc. Once you know what it is you can treat for and fix it.

With that age of the tank it could also be trace elements like iodine.

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. they look healthy and happy . Sorry about parameters comment. Missed the ICP test.

What is your light schema and schedules? Given your parameters look good and the corals look healthy and growing..this would point to one of two things (in my mind). Lack of certain color enhancement elements (Red Sea Trace Elements) or lighting. There is a reason people have moved to higher blues as opposed to the whites...they color up your corals!!
77B54B37-93F2-4AEC-8F62-05563C50001F.jpeg
DE6ACEEA-DC35-4742-AF3F-BA84321BBA5F.jpeg

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do an ICP test.

It could be a very small amount of heavy metal from an old magnet, etc. Once you know what it is you can treat for and fix it.

With that age of the tank it could also be trace elements like iodine.
I attached the icp test. I’m currently dosing iodine

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not uncommon for LPS coral to fade for awhile, in a new system. I've had torches, frogspawn, hammers, brains fade significantly, only to come back bigger and brighter over the course of a year, so long as I don't mess with too many things and keep my parameters rock solid.

9 times out of 10 in this hobby, the answer is patience, especially if all of your numbers are where you are hoping to maintain them.

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not uncommon for LPS coral to fade for awhile, in a new system. I've had torches, frogspawn, hammers, brains fade significantly, only to come back bigger and brighter over the course of a year, so long as I don't mess with too many things and keep my parameters rock solid.

9 times out of 10 in this hobby, the answer is patience, especially if all of your numbers are where you are hoping to maintain th

9 times out of 10 in this hobby, the answer is patience, especially if all of your numbers are where you are hoping to maintain them.
I don’t mess with anything, I bought a red gonipora and in two days , i can see it fade so devastating.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back