I will literally quit this hobby! Corals lose colors in a matter of days or weeks

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your par readings make no sense - 140 at the top center of your tank but 210 below it? And 130 below that???

Not to mention 349 directly to the R of 140?
There are 2 ai prime’s not shown in the picture. The 140 is meant to be on the overflow and 240 is exactly at the middle,sorry for the confusion.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not uncommon for LPS coral to fade for awhile, in a new system. I've had torches, frogspawn, hammers, brains fade significantly, only to come back bigger and brighter over the course of a year, so long as I don't mess with too many things and keep my parameters rock solid.

9 times out of 10 in this hobby, the answer is patience, especially if all of your numbers are where you are hoping to maintain them.
my torches and other LPS looked like **** for a couple of weeks , before taking off and really taking on color.

people spend months getting color right, and dose tons of tiny micro nutrients potassium etc to get it right. And..... they still dont really have it down to a science.

Its what the hobby is about.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run carbon could be chemical warfare or something not tested on the ICP I would run carbon make sure you are not having big swings on a weekly bases. I made a mistake and killed half my corals Took 4 months off of buying corals and after I saw everything growing and looking good I bought $300 in corals and there sitting in qt and I am staying on top of my things. This hobby is all about gains and loses.

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached the icp test. I’m currently dosing iodine
Ah, I missed that. Your iodine is 0, but as you said you are adding it now.

You also have a little aluminum and the lithium is getting pretty close to the top there.

I had some tin and I used poly-filter from poly bio to remove it, you might want to try running that as well as dosing the iodine and other trace elements.

Did you list your ph anywhere? I am having trouble finding it.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be colorblind, but you seem to have some healthy happy corals and your corals seem to have decent enough color to me. Time is key. At first look i thought this was some sort of humble brag! Haha. Id be pretty happy to have a tank that nice looking myself. But a duncan a month ago for my little nano that only this week am I noticing some cool colors popping in it.

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run carbon could be chemical warfare or something not tested on the ICP I would run carbon make sure you are not having big swings on a weekly bases. I made a mistake and killed half my corals Took 4 months off of buying corals and after I saw everything growing and looking good I bought $300 in corals and there sitting in qt and I am staying on top of my things. This hobby is all about gains and loses.
I do run carbon and change it frequently, all the best with the new corals!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your tank looks healthy from the FTS, my guess is that there is some weird par/flow stuff going on in there.

A mixed reef is usually SPS with high flow way up top, LPS with lower flow down low - not staggered around like yours, and that may be too much par/flow on your LPS (or not enough on SPS) causing some bleaching or coral discomfort. IME LPS in general like lower than recommended par and flow ranges

it might also be your color spectrum and the corals are just fine. Hit it with some intense blues/actinic and you should see some pop.

Id also suggest dosing AB+ aminos.

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I missed that. Your iodine is 0, but as you said you are adding it now.

You also have a little aluminum and the lithium is getting pretty close to the top there.

I had some tin and I used poly-filter from poly bio to remove it, you might want to try running that as well as dosing the iodine and other trace elements.

Did you list your ph anywhere? I am having trouble finding it.
My ph is on the safe side at 8. Noted but i think aluminum and lithium are from the salt itself.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question are you running zero white light over your whole schedule? Might be worth asking the places you got the elegance or the other corals you have issue with what kind of spectrum they are running thats probably a big factor in the shift.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't running enough white light. My corals color up like that too if I only run blues (I've had similar coloration issues when turning off whites for a little while to fight dinos).

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't running enough white light. My corals color up like that too if I only run blues (I've had similar coloration issues when turning off whites for a little while to fight dinos).
This was along the same lines I was thinking without white light my reds, yellows and greens all start to fade.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was along the same lines I was thinking without white light my reds, yellows and greens all start to fade.
Yep. White is a balancing game. Flood the tank with way more light than the coral can handle and you get a brown coral. Not enough and you get a pale coral that only shows minor green fluorescence and only blue/purple pigments. If you get it just right, yellow through red fluorescence can appear and green through red pigments will darken.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP this hobby can be a itching B sometimes.. if water parameters are good try to play low light settings and see what that gets you. keep it lower than what you have now for about two weeks or so and see if it improves. If it doesn't get better, just quit. This hobby is stressful!

I almost quit myself when my fishes kept dying.

one velvet outbreak and all but1 fish survived. That was torture... fish dying one by one...

OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question are you running zero white light over your whole schedule? Might be worth asking the places you got the elegance or the other corals you have issue with what kind of spectrum they are running thats probably a big factor in the shift.

Attachments

• 28E5DA6A-D2EA-458A-B8EB-EE880703E122.jpeg
    28E5DA6A-D2EA-458A-B8EB-EE880703E122.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 327168F5-C757-4F0F-A27A-9BC40D685C3D.jpeg
    327168F5-C757-4F0F-A27A-9BC40D685C3D.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Knawaiseh

Knawaiseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP this hobby can be a itching B sometimes.. if water parameters are good try to play low light settings and see what that gets you. keep it lower than what you have now for about two weeks or so and see if it improves. If it doesn't get better, just quit. This hobby is stressful!

I almost quit myself when my fishes kept dying.

one velvet outbreak and all but1 fish survived. That was torture... fish dying one by one...
Hahaha. I really like corals more than fish.you are right very stressful specially when you buy everything high end and it doesn’t work, and other’s just let it be with random stuff and it works for them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a huge issue with coral. Parameters and lighting.

Example to prove this Zombies point.

One month ago. Same phone camera was used.
20220426_082717.jpg

Today.

20220609_091639.jpg

You need to be patient. Learn what needs what. I can't give you that information. When running a mixed reef, you need to learn where to place who in what light and flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back