I would like to take a moment and welcome Reef Diaper as the newest sponsor of the Reef2Reef community!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it curious that you recommend changing the diaper twice a week. Just what volume of GPH going through the diaper is this recommendation based on? Do you think a 20 gallon mini-reef should get the same twice a week change as a 500 gallon mega-reef?

I am not sure what they base their recommendations on but BRS did a video on this exact thing and changing your filter sock twice a week was the ideal result.

It isn’t how much stuff is trapped in the material so much as what is in there starts to break down and add the unwanted nutrients into the tank after a few days.

I think this is the video:

corky1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to take a moment and welcome Reef Diaper as the newest sponsor of the Reef2Reef community! We are very happy and thankful to have you as a supporter of our reefing family!

Members please extend a hardy R2R welcome to our newest sponsor and please remember to shop with the sponsors of our community first for all your aquarium needs!

#newR2Rsponsor

Thank you!

Welcome on board

Melodydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to take a moment and welcome Reef Diaper as the newest sponsor of the Reef2Reef community! We are very happy and thankful to have you as a supporter of our reefing family!

Members please extend a hardy R2R welcome to our newest sponsor and please remember to shop with the sponsors of our community first for all your aquarium needs!

#newR2Rsponsor

Thank you!

Welcome! Thank you for being a sponsor!!!!

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a emerald trigger sump, with two 4 inch socks. Will these "diapers" fit? I've been trying to find a roller system that fits and is effective to no avail.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad there's not a rectangular offering to fit Eshopps holders!

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and support. I hope the Reef Diaper makes reef keeping even more enjoyable for everyone who hates to wash those nasty filter socks.
Yeah, um, are these compostable? 'Cause if they are to be thrown in a landfill that would be a terrible waste of usable bio waste and an abuse of the planet in a landfill or just send out onto the ocean which I think most of us here would not appreciate.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it curious that you recommend changing the diaper twice a week. Just what volume of GPH going through the diaper is this recommendation based on? Do you think a 20 gallon mini-reef should get the same twice a week change as a 500 gallon mega-reef?

The post by Whisnantrider is correct. The recommendation is based on removing waste before it has a chance to breakdown into unwanted nutrients.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

What an awesome idea. I just ordered a starter kit and an extra 30 pack. I like that they're formed into a cylinder, vs. the flat style of current filter socks. Although, I'm hoping the filter element is somewhat flexible, since I will have to deform them temporarily when I slide them in or out of the hole.

All the best :)
The filter elements are very flexible. Some customers have found them much easier to change than the stiffer felt socks.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about us that are um BIGGER than 4" will there be anything for us 7"ers?? Lol
If the 4" is successful we will likely create a 7" version. This will require new tooling and will take time. For a short term solution we may create an adapter for our 4” filters. It obviously wouldn't provide the capacity of the 7", but it would provide an option for systems with lighter bio loads. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When is the last time you ordered coral that was flown next day? How often are you doing water changes using rain water? How much processed food are you feeding your tank? The last time you ate fast food?

You have some valid points but you have a ton more vendors to go talk to about waste

@revhtree

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a emerald trigger sump, with two 4 inch socks. Will these "diapers" fit? I've been trying to find a roller system that fits and is effective to no avail.
If the holes are round they should fit. The Reef Diaper is designed for a standard 3.75" diameter bore.

Teamredfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The material is polyester and is not considered biodegradable. It will breakdown, but not quickly. There are more and more biodegradable materials being created and hopefully we will be able to find one that works for our application in the near future.
This makes the hobby sound like it’s taking a huge downgrade in being environmentally friendly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
very interesting. Im going to look further into this.

welcome76.jpg

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time you ordered coral that was flown next day? How often are you doing water changes using rain water? How much processed food are you feeding your tank? The last time you ate fast food?

You have some valid points but you have a ton more vendors to go talk to about waste
While I get your point, some people (myself included) go out of their way to do what they can to help. That's the entire point, doing what you CAN even if it's a little more effort.

I buy locally and aquacultured whenever possible, I don't buy online at all.

I do collect rainwater, as well as use solar for many things.

I make over a years worth of frozen foods at once using scraps and other unused parts of seafood, whatever is fresh I get from the most sustainable sources I can.

I rarely eat fast food, or overly processed food in general. I cook a lot using imperfect foods and local produce.

Thanks for your concern, though.

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Profits and “convenience”. We have become a disposable society...so many things aren’t meant to last or aren’t made to last or are simply single use. I’m guilty of this too. And I caught myself looking at this product, and had to remind myself I only wash my socks every couple weeks because I have enough to swap. No bleach so it’s thru the washer on cold and hang dry. And it’s not hard and doesn’t take but a minute. It’s easy to get sucked in though.
That's the right attitude, we have to be able to step back and weigh pros and cons of our choices.

Some people may have to choose the "worse" options for whatever reason, but if you can, you should try to do whatever is best for the environment and the sustainable continuation of our hobby.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I get your point, some people (myself included) go out of their way to do what they can to help. That's the entire point, doing what you CAN even if it's a little more effort.

I buy locally and aquacultured whenever possible, I don't buy online at all.

I do collect rainwater, as well as use solar for many things.

I make over a years worth of frozen foods at once using scraps and other unused parts of seafood, whatever is fresh I get from the most sustainable sources I can.

I rarely eat fast food, or overly processed food in general. I cook a lot using imperfect foods and local produce.

Thanks for your concern, though.

I appreciate what you do, and I’m being sincere.

We all have our opinions, mine is I don’t think we should put our community supporters in the middle of it.

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate what you do, and I’m being sincere.

We all have our opinions, mine is I don’t think we should put our community supporters in the middle of it.
All I'd ask for is a little more honesty about any other avenues being explored
(I would imagine some sort of paper coffee type filter could be developed).

Perhaps some sort of "for each sale we do X to help the environment" ?

I understand the delicacy of putting a sponsor on the spot or in a bad light, but that is our responsibility as a community, especially one with such a spotlight on us constantly over our environmental impact.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back