I would like to take a moment and welcome Reef Diaper as the newest sponsor of the Reef2Reef community!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there were some delays getting the parts modified. I'm working on the photos and listing now. Hopefully it won't take too long to update our website. I will let you know as soon as they are ready for sale.
I'm assuming you ran into some more issues with the Red Sea version? Wouldn't surprise me, as I've seen supply chain issues in just about every industry. Excited to try these on a Red Sea v3 sump but obviously the regular ones won't fit.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed out my reef diaper filter socks. I still can’t believe how well these work especially if you have a trigger sump. By far this is the way to go if you use filter socks,
This is not my experience. I change out my filter socks every day or 2 because I have to. They are filthy… but the reef diapers can stay on for a week or more and not be clogged. Which means that they have filtered nothing!

Tank is 500g mostly softies with about 50 fish, and a 150g sump.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great product idea and kudos to entrepreneurs around the world!!
Trying to figure out the economics here though;
I have read above that people are trading out the diapers at once a week as opposed to twice a week with socks.
But is that once a week based on the fact that there is still flow up to 6 days? I thought that the reason some (including BRS) suggested every 3-4 days was to remove the accumulated/collected waste in order to maintain consistent nutrients. Its still there even thought the water is flowing

So I have 4 in the 180 (although 2 of them rarely get changes due to water flow, 2 in the 90, and one in the frag.

So 5 to 7 diaper changes once (due to flow) to twice (9due to nutrient removal a week?

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not my experience. I change out my filter socks every day or 2 because I have to. They are filthy… but the reef diapers can stay on for a week or more and not be clogged. Which means that they have filtered nothing!

Tank is 500g mostly softies with about 50 fish, and a 150g sump.
That is very strange. One possibility is that the retainer is on backwards. If this is the case, the seal will slide past the sump filter plate and you will have significant leakage past the Reef Diaper. The retainer should be installed with the seal end towards the flange. Another possibility is that the holes in your sump are larger than the standard 3-3/4" diameter. The seal should fit snug in the bore of the filter plate when is installed. Please check the seal and let me know if you are still having problems.

Here is a pic of a Reef Diaper that I just removed from my 90 gallon tank after 3 days. I pulled it apart to show the waste that it has collected.
IMG_3482.jpg

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is these are the greatest thing ever!! So tired of cleaning socks every two days. These make it around 5 days in my tank. They expand at least twice the size of a normal sock giving them so much more filtration area compared to socks. It is so nice to take a weekend away and not have to worry about my socks needing changed.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is these are the greatest thing ever!! So tired of cleaning socks every two days. These make it around 5 days in my tank. They expand at least twice the size of a normal sock giving them so much more filtration area compared to socks.
Exactly the problem!
Just to be sure, I ran a little test this week… the filter sock was on for 1 day. The diaper was on for 3! Collected nothing in comparison. 3 days! Could of left it on a week and yes, it would balloon out and still remove almost nothing!
Not gonna lose my tank because I don’t feel like washing the socks.
117250EE-602C-4730-959E-07485602643C.jpeg
78C0A53D-6644-4BDC-BC7E-C7833A602F41.jpeg
8CF760A4-8DB9-4D97-804A-53DF41B82692.jpeg

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly the problem!
Just to be sure, I ran a little test this week… the filter sock was on for 1 day. The diaper was on for 3! Collected nothing in comparison. 3 days! Could of left it on a week and yes, it would balloon out and still remove almost nothing!
Not gonna lose my tank because I don’t feel like washing the socks.
117250EE-602C-4730-959E-07485602643C.jpeg
78C0A53D-6644-4BDC-BC7E-C7833A602F41.jpeg
8CF760A4-8DB9-4D97-804A-53DF41B82692.jpeg
It just depends on what you are trying to do or need to do. These are filtering out plenty for my tank. The skimmer is taking care of whatever it’s missing in the way of the smaller stuff. It’s just another tool for anyone needing something easier to maintain.
if you want everything captured you need to ditch socks all together and switch to fleece rollers. I was running those before and they took out to much. Like I said it’s all in what you need.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on what you are trying to do or need to do. These are filtering out plenty for my tank. The skimmer is taking care of whatever it’s missing in the way of the smaller stuff. It’s just another tool for anyone needing something easier to maintain.
if you want everything captured you need to ditch socks all together and switch to fleece rollers. I was running those before and they took out to much. Like I said it’s all in what you need.
The more the filth is quickly removed, the better, IMO, based on 35yrs of reef keeping.
If you think that the diaper is doing good, put a sock back on for a day or 2, and see how dirty it gets.
i do not look forward to cleaning socks (I have ~100 socks for my 350g and 700g systems) that I wash about every 2 months, but the convenience of changing diapers less often and not having to clean them, is not a risk I’m willing to take.
For the record, my skimmers work fine, and I do have a fleece roller, but was not happy with its performance on the big system… may try installing on the smaller system when I move everything into my new home.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my reef diapers! I’ll never switch back, they made me a special plate for my trigger CR 44 and they work amazing!!

Lonestar77566

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we only have round flanges. Oval flanges will require new tooling. For now we plan on making some replacement filter plates with round holes. We should still be able to fit three across. I will post an update when they are available.
I am having to change these literally every two days and its becoming costly. They balloon out and push my skimmer off its stand. Is this normal?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am having to change these literally every two days and its becoming costly. They balloon out and push my skimmer off its stand. Is this normal?
Mine balloon out if I let them get to full. I believe they said when they start to bulge it's time to change them.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Diaper will expand as it collects waste and becomes clogged. This opens the pleats and exposes more surface area.

Are you carbon dosing? This can cause filter socks to clog more quickly, especially if you are dosing too much.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to let everyone know that the custom flanges and adapters are now available on our website. They will enable the Reef Diaper to work with Red Sea and Trigger Systems sumps. The 7" adapter plates are also available.
https://reefdiaper.com/flanges-and-adapters/
The standard Reef Diaper flanges and filter elements are still being sold on Amazon. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Reef Diapers with the Red Sea Reefer adapter flange for about a month. They are working well for me with performance similar to the filter floss I was using before but easier to change and more consistent. Re-useable filter socks never worked well for me, after 3-4 use/wash cycles they always stayed partly clogged and would need to be changed daily.

Question-I am thinking of replacing my aging Reefer with a Cade aquarium, but I have not been able to find out if the Cade filter socks are standard size or not. Do you know if the Reef Diapers will fit in a Cade sump?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through about 100 reef diapers now and I am happy with them. They seem to get clogged a little quicker than normal socks, but the ability to toss and replace vs cleaning felt socks is worth it to me.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear you are happy with your Reef Diapers. It's interesting that they last longer than standard socks for some customers and less for others. I think one of the biggest factors is the length of the felt socks. What was the length of the socks you replaced?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back