I would love some feedback on my first aquascape.

CarlRay05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here and would love some feedback on my first aquascape before I start to mortar.
This will be for a for a 60"x24"x21" tank size. I have a 2" + clearance on all sides of tank to the rock.
Looking for thoughts on flow around the rock formations and the height for corals.
Video and a couple of photos attached.

IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG

Attachments

• Aquascape_V1.mp4
    59.8 MB
Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's great, especially for a first aquascape! What kind of reef is this going to be? For me personally and this is just personally, as long you're happy that's all that matters, I would move the rock that appears to be dead center just slightly to the right or the left. The small piece in front of the main structure. I try and avoid having something really eye catching dead center but sometimes that can't be avoided. The only other minor minor thing is I would try and slightly raise the height of one of the pieces on the right / right center. This is just to avoid a straight slope from left to right. However depending on what kind of corals you plan on having that problem will correct itself with coral placement.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I think I like it. My only concern would be your rock to water ratio is fairly high and having a break in the rockwork would aesthetically please me more. Great first aquascape though and once its covered with corals idk if what I said will matter in the slightest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your rock has lots of pores for frags and plugs.
I would build some a bit higher for future SPS which will require that location in tank

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock has lots of pores for frags and plugs.
I would build some a bit higher for future SPS which will require that location in tank
so not an sps guy (aside from a few monti's), so educate me. if the tank is only 21" deep how close to the surface do you have to be? and not a critique on going higher. I'm a huge fan of "higher" my scape busts the surface. just wondering.
:cool:

OP
OP
CarlRay05

CarlRay05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not an sps guy (aside from a few monti's), so educate me. if the tank is only 21" deep how close to the surface do you have to be? and not a critique on going higher. I'm a huge fan of "higher" my scape busts the surface. just wondering.
I was baseing my build off what BRStv said to leave between 6" - 8" of growth room for SPS. But this is also my first rodeo so education is welcomed.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
within 4"

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! There is an upward progression from R to L, I would make one or two of the structures on the right just a little higher. I think leaving 6 is a good idea.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all previous comments it really looks good. My only concern (based on the top view) is keeping the “canyon“ clean. You have a very narrow area that will get narrower as corals grow. I think @vetteguy53081 or @sp1187 would know better than me...increase flow or widen the gap a little for siphoning the sand in those areas. What do you think guys?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with all previous comments it really looks good. My only concern (based on the top view) is keeping the “canyon“ clean. You have a very narrow area that will get narrower as corals grow. I think @vetteguy53081 or @sp1187 would know better than me...increase flow or widen the gap a little for siphoning the sand in those areas. What do you think guys?
As long as water is able to flow through structure.... it will work. One thing a person do is install a low flow powerhead at lower part of tank to keep current flowing throughout the tank OR simply occasionally use a baster to loosen up mulm and other detritus

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back