Ice Cap Gyre OR Ecotech MP40 Powerhead or Combo

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers...after 5yrs of use (one of my MP40 QDs) went out after upgrading to the mobius firmware and downgrading back to the original firmware in order for me to use my Apex WXM module....sent the controller to the Ecotech team yesterday to review. In the meantime, I currently have one running and decided to do some research on the Gyre...I came across Ice-cap 4K at Local Fish Store in Baltimore...Not too sure about it...but looking for some thoughts/ideas from others (I do have certain areas in my Display tank I think that the MP40s do not get too).. Currently have a 120 mixed Reef...Thoughts

20200923_002118.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Maxspects XF330 but I have a few reefing friends that run Icecap gyres and love them. I like the spread the gyre gives, not one focused area of flow like the Ecotechs. I think the only complaint I’ve heard thus far about the icecaps is the controller setup up. Coralvue is really good about follow up though so if you run into issues. BRS also has a good video on Gyre flow just to give you an idea of what they can do. Let me know if you have specific questions.. I’ll try and take a video of my gyre flow tomorrow in the 100g for ya.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Maxspects XF330 but I have a few reefing friends that run Icecap gyres and love them. I like the spread the gyre gives, not one focused area of flow like the Ecotechs. I think the only complaint I’ve heard thus far about the icecaps is the controller setup up. Coralvue is really good about follow up though so if you run into issues. BRS also has a good video on Gyre flow just to give you an idea of what they can do. Let me know if you have specific questions.. I’ll try and take a video of my gyre flow tomorrow in the 100g for ya.
Man...that would be so awesome...I am a little nervous...the MP40s QD has being good to me...but I feel like I am cheating on them :)...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao pp8's, and a maxspect gyre xf330.

I really like the large laminar flow the gyre gives, it moves the entire tank as opposed to just a specific "vortex" like traditional PH's/wavemakers. I have mine mounted up high to flow across the surface, but they pull water from the bottom so the entire tank gets a turnover.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running ICeCap Gyres on 2 tanks. The larger tank (a 6' 180) has a 2k & a 4k - mounted horizontally at opposite ends about 3" from the surface. They keep tank turned over pretty well, they are quiet (to me at least, but I am running an external pump so my systems is not sleeping in a bedroom level quiet) and are great at altering flow throughout the tank.

I like to move them to be vertical, towards the front of the tank and about half way down the glass when I'm doing a water change. The entire tank gets mixed up when I do that.

I also appreciate that I can mix pumps of different powers on the same controller.

Integration with controllers is easier IMO as well - just get the cable and plug it in.

I'm also considering the Hydros Wave Engine - you can plug 4 gyres in and get full control of all 4 pumps while only using a single power supply. If it would interface with Apex this would be a no brainer for me and I would already have it.

I have previously run MaxSpect gyres on a 4' 120 for 2+ years and have been happy with those as well. If I ever do lay out the cash for the Hydros Wave Engine - I'll throw those in my 180 along with whats already there and have mass flow / mass control at my fingertips. :D

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run Gyres and a Nero 5 on my tank. I actually like mixing the gyre type flow with a more standard propeller type ( flow in one tank. Same could be done with a vortech and a gyre. What I do is use the Nero 5 for a resonant standing wave and then use the Gyre to create current in the tank using the gyre OGC program. This gives me the best of both worlds where I get that nice standing wave look, but also a nice surge current. To me it really looks natural and doesn’t miss much. I also do other stuff like sometimes during the day I turn the gyres off completely and crank the resonant wave up on the Nero to 100% and really get the water rocking for 20 minutes and then the gyre current kicks back in as the wave slows.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running ICeCap Gyres on 2 tanks. The larger tank (a 6' 180) has a 2k & a 4k - mounted horizontally at opposite ends about 3" from the surface. They keep tank turned over pretty well, they are quiet (to me at least, but I am running an external pump so my systems is not sleeping in a bedroom level quiet) and are great at altering flow throughout the tank.

I like to move them to be vertical, towards the front of the tank and about half way down the glass when I'm doing a water change. The entire tank gets mixed up when I do that.

I also appreciate that I can mix pumps of different powers on the same controller.

Integration with controllers is easier IMO as well - just get the cable and plug it in.

I'm also considering the Hydros Wave Engine - you can plug 4 gyres in and get full control of all 4 pumps while only using a single power supply. If it would interface with Apex this would be a no brainer for me and I would already have it.

I have previously run MaxSpect gyres on a 4' 120 for 2+ years and have been happy with those as well. If I ever do lay out the cash for the Hydros Wave Engine - I'll throw those in my 180 along with whats already there and have mass flow / mass control at my fingertips. :D
So i read tales on the 4k wifi i purchased yesterday, that it does integrate with APEX, it just needs a Y cable (sold separately of course after I get home, so I purchased one on amazon last night). Is yours Ice Cap Gyre not capable of being integrated with the Apex controller?

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Gyres and a Nero 5 on my tank. I actually like mixing the gyre type flow with a more standard propeller type ( flow in one tank. Same could be done with a vortech and a gyre. What I do is use the Nero 5 for a resonant standing wave and then use the Gyre to create current in the tank using the gyre OGC program. This gives me the best of both worlds where I get that nice standing wave look, but also a nice surge current. To me it really looks natural and doesn’t miss much. I also do other stuff like sometimes during the day I turn the gyres off completely and crank the resonant wave up on the Nero to 100% and really get the water rocking for 20 minutes and then the gyre current kicks back in as the wave slows.
Nice...is that all programmed or all manual? Also what size tank are you running?

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question, what module is needed or where on the APEX eL does the Y cable plug into in order for this to operate via the Apex Controller?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the IceCap 4K gyres on all of my frag systems and have to say that i love everything about them when it comes to water movement and control ability. With that being said I have one Large complaint about them that has me unclear if i will use them in my future setups.

The IceCap battery backup V2 is not compatible with the dual wifi driver that comes with them. I am hoping that Coralvue will get a V3 out so that i am able to backup all my 4K gyre's butr for now that's just not an option.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice...is that all programmed or all manual? Also what size tank are you running?

This is a Reefer 350. I have two Gyre XF330 and I run them on the OGC mode at 40% (which is just a alternating gyre that varies through the day). Then I have my Nero 5 at various pulse levels throughout the day and have it set itself to feed mode at night. Since the maxspect Gyres aren’t controllable by the Apex, what I do is just have them plugged into my apex and then shut the outlet off at certain intervals during the day so the Nero can do a standing wave alone. I’ve got 3 times during the day programmed that the gyre shuts off entirely.

This would all obviously be much easier with something like the hydros waveengine and icecap gyres and vortech where both could be controlled directly but I just work with what I’ve got. :)

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Reefer 350. I have two Gyre XF330 and I run them on the OGC mode at 40% (which is just a alternating gyre that varies through the day). Then I have my Nero 5 at various pulse levels throughout the day and have it set itself to feed mode at night. Since the maxspect Gyres aren’t controllable by the Apex, what I do is just have them plugged into my apex and then shut the outlet off at certain intervals during the day so the Nero can do a standing wave alone. I’ve got 3 times during the day programmed that the gyre shuts off entirely.

This would all obviously be much easier with something like the hydros waveengine and icecap gyres and vortech where both could be controlled directly but I just work with what I’ve got. :)
Do you own the Apex or Apex eL? Which module if you own the eL do you have in order to get this connected?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using two MP40's and two gyre 330's on my 90g sps tank. They are controlled with the Hydros wave engine and it's awesome to have all of them under one controller, which can be controlled by my apex for feed mode and also other flow programs. I have the MP40's on the back wall and the gyres on the sides, up high, so there's all kinds of crazy flow going on and I love it.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I own the EL, for me there’s no module to connect the Maxspect Gyres or AI Nero because they don’t work with the Apex. I just have them plugged into controllable outlets on the eb832

But if you’re looking to control the Icecap gyres you’d need either the full Apex or an EL with the VDM module. For the Vortech you’d need to find WXM module which is no longer made and then either get an older pre-Mobius Mp40 or downgrade the firmware on a new one.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two MP40's and two gyre 330's on my 90g sps tank. They are controlled with the Hydros wave engine and it's awesome to have all of them under one controller, which can be controlled by my apex for feed mode and also other flow programs. I have the MP40's on the back wall and the gyres on the sides, up high, so there's all kinds of crazy flow going on and I love it.
I am interested in your set-up...since I would have the identical setup. Which Apel are you using the Apex eL or Apex and if eL, which module should I buy, would the VDM work? I have the eL.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4k ice cap and love it . I would note that it requires a soild internet connection to Interface with the pump and control the settings.
Are you running it via Apex or another aquarium controller?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back