IceCap Digital Pocket Tester Review

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Kentech5, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Kentech5

Kentech5 Active Member

IceCap Test

Well I got my new Icecap digital pocket tester and so far I’ve got to say I’m pretty impressed. I couldn’t find my manual refractometer to compare so I was only able to compare my Milwaukee Digital Refractometer with the IceCap Digital Pocket Tester . I was however, able to test the two on three different tanks.

First a picture of the device itself.:

[​IMG]

Test 1: my newly rebooted and cycling display tank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matching results on this one. Here’s the rest of the results from the IceCap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The temperature reading on the IceCap is a bit concerning. Apex and a cheap thermometer are showing my tank at 77.6 right now but the IceCap is reading 76.1. I had just brought it inside and it’s about 32 degrees outside so maybe that’s related? I test temperature again later.

Test 2: Holding Tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The IceCap is reading a little bit higher on this one. The reading is still well within the stated accuracy of both devices.

Test 3: Neglected tank about to be rebooted. No fish in it anymore. I already knew the salinity of this tank was high and figured it would be a good test of some less normal levels for one of our tanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A match once again.

After the three rounds of testing I tested the first tank again and got a temperature of 76.4 which is 1.3 degrees off the other values I’m seeing but within the stated 1.5 degree accuracy range.

I also tested the IceCap by inserting he probe directly into tank water instead of using the probe cup. The results were about 0.003 higher so the cup is definitely important.

Summary:
    OK, let’s break things down.

Accuracy: Results are within 0.001 SG of the Milwaukee. Temperature results appear to be off a bit more than a degree. I don’t know how this could potentially affect salinity results if at all.

Size: The IceCap itself is much smaller than the Milwaukee and even the case is much smaller. For portability and storage I think this is great plus but it’s still big enough to be hard to lose.

Durability: TBD. Only time will tell how long the device will continue to function.

Ease of Use: I bought the Milwaukee in part because of its ease of use however it still needs to be zeroed out for each use (manufacturer recommendation) and there is a lot of cleaning the glass before, between, and after testing. The IceCap turns on and is ready almost instantly. There doesn’t seem to be a way to zero or calibrate the device which could be taken either way. A quick scoop of water and you have a result. Cleaning consists of a wipe down with some fresh water. I keep a spray bottle of RODI so this is a cinch.

Overall I’m pretty excited about this product. I’m not going to stop using the Milwaukee yet as I will need to use both for a while before I’m confident in the IceCap. Would I recommend buying it? Based on what I’ve seen so far, yes.

Disclaimer: I purchased both these products for personal use and have no relation to their manufacturers or distributors.

Tags:

2. Kentech5

Kentech5 Active Member

Some more pictures of the packaging and device.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeepguy242, isaacalves, tupes and 5 others like this.
  3. dmw913

dmw913 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Thank you very much for your time and effort on this test. I'm considering buying one and found your information very helpful!

4. Kentech5

Kentech5 Active Member

Thanks, I couldn’t find much information about it myself so I decided to give it a shot. I need to find my calibration fluid and test that.

5. jimmyzhou

jimmyzhou Well-Known Member

Thanks you soo much the info is awesome will pick one up ice cap double check my salinity also thanks

6. Starblenny

Starblenny Active Member

Is there any way to calibrate it? I'm just afraid, like all measurement tools, that the accuracy will be off and calibration is needed.

7. Kentech5

Kentech5 Active Member

There is no manual calibration button. What I’ve read is that it calibrates back to 0 when turned off and on.

Starblenny likes this.
  8. Brien

Brien Member

Too pricey at $80.

Philt56 likes this.
  9. hart24601

hart24601 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I ordered one of these too and am excited to see how it works. FWIW I had a Milwaukee Digital and just hated it. That 0.002 accuracy was just too far off and repeat readings for me varied and while it was in spec for the machine variations of true 1.026 between 1.024 and 1.028 were too much. (yes was using their solutions and following instructions). I am excited and hopeful for this as it's getting harder for me to see refactometer .

Pelagic One likes this.
  10. myzislow

myzislow Valuable Member

Well worth it if it works..

I look forward to never having to use my refractometer and calibration fluid ever again. Both of my ATC refractometers are anything but consistent, and borderline frustrating to use.

11. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

That's cool! Nice toy for sure. It would be nice to have a second digital refractometer to check against, and this sure seems like it would be easy to use.

12. Nstocks

Nstocks Active Member

I've beed using the Milwaukee for around 2 years. Great piece of equipment other than the lends needs wiping a lot to prevent a false reading from the last test and mine has slight rust. It does need calibrating often but I think that should be true with anything as critical as salinity.

If I hadn't got the Milwaukee today, I'd go for the Icecap purely because I use so many disposable syringes!

mdbannister likes this.
  13. SaltwaterAq

SaltwaterAq Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Black & Cyber Sponsor

14. Opus

Opus Valuable Member

Wonder if Icecap frowns on overcharging for their products? There is a LFS in my area that wants $135 for theirs. They raised the price once everyone else went out of stock.

15. SaltwaterAq

Yea that's bad business. I would shop there.

Pelagic One likes this.
  16. SaltwaterAq

We have 46x left at MAP price.

17. myzislow

myzislow Valuable Member

I saw that they are listed for around that on ebay...I ordered from premium aquatics. They were the only vendor i could find that had them in stock per the website.

18. domination2580

domination2580 Reef-a-nator

How is the accuracy?

19. SaltwaterAq

Yea there is some on ebay right now listed at $139.99, I'm not sure I would ever shop at a store gouging like that.

AKReef likes this.
  20. SaltwaterAq

I was very surprised on how accurate it was. Tested on 3 tanks multiple calibration fluids, against red sea refractometer & my Milwaukee digital. All were close to spot on. Then I ordered 300x more from coraluve.

Draft saved Draft deleted