Ich active on Snails and Corals?

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had either ich or marine velvet that took out a lot of my live stock. Does ich or marine velvet still survive if you have snails, shrimp and corals. I am keeping my tank barren right now but I do have corals, snails and shrimp still in my tank. I am wondering if the ich will go away or still survive because of the stated live stock.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe that the ich can survive in the sandbed for 2 months before the eggs are released back into the water column to attach to a fish again,,, they only survive if there is a fish to attach to.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had either ich or marine velvet that took out a lot of my live stock. Does ich or marine velvet still survive if you have snails, shrimp and corals. I am keeping my tank barren right now but I do have corals, snails and shrimp still in my tank. I am wondering if the ich will go away or still survive because of the stated live stock.
Without fish in the system, it will die off after 76 days regardless of any inverts. If you moved those snails/shrimp/corals to another system in less than 76 days, there is risk of infecting that new system.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can encyst on hard surfaces in your reef tank so yes coral bases, snail shells, plumbing, glass, rock, sand, etc all can have ich tomonts (eggs) on them. After 76 days you should have no issues but I said screw it and did a 90 day fallow period, started qting anything wet that enters my display and now I have no ich.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ich can encyst on hard surfaces in your reef tank so yes coral bases, snail shells, plumbing, glass, rock, sand, etc all can have ich tomonts (eggs) on them. After 76 days you should have no issues but I said screw it and did a 90 day fallow period, started qting anything wet that enters my display and now I have no ich.
I bet that feeling is great

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back