Ich after copper power

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all newbie here,

I had an ich out break in my DT, pulled all my fish out and put them in a QT. Treated them with 30 days of copper power maintaining it above 2.0 per Hanna checker. Added to this metroplex x4 weeks. Following this did 2 rounds of prazipro, 2nd dose was 7/5. My powder brown tang now has white spots on his fin looks like ich. He still has black spots like freckles on his body, thought it might be black ich but no changes with prazipro. No one else in the tank have symptoms at this time. Not sure what to do next... hyposalinity vs Chloroquine vs Continued observation vs ich management. Feeling a bit frustrated right now. Best pic I could get of black spots. Thank you!

FB_IMG_1657165447979.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,welcome to the reef ... :)
the more info the better to help experts ,
short video ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic is a little fuzzy. Are dots white or black?
Did you treat with copper power for full 30 days? If so, what level was copper and what copper test kit were you using?

OP
OP
Cougnurse

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Hanna checker and kept levels between 2.25 and 2.45, had done 38 days. I was able to get a better pic of the issues this morning. 1st one is his black spots 2nd pic is the white spots on his fin.
20220707_053206.jpg

Attachments

• 20220707_054307.jpg
    20220707_054307.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Cougnurse

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,welcome to the reef ... :)
the more info the better to help experts ,
short video ?
Will try to get a video tonight.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black spots seem lined up, that isn't how black ich (Turbellarians) typically grow. Here is the funny thing - EVERYONE says use praziquantel on turbellarians, but it doesn't work! Prazi works by stunning flukes so they drop off the fish. It doesn't kill the flukes outright. Turbellarians live in cysts. They may be stunned by the prazi, but don't drop off. So how do you account for prazi seemingly work? Well, turbellarians are often self-limiting, they go away on their own.

Formalin dips and siphoning the bottom of the tank are a better treatment for turbellarians.

As for the white spots - I can't see them. While your protocol sounds good, there may have been some loss of biosecurity along the way. What I would do is watch the white spots - if they come and go every day or two, then it may well be ich. If they stay in one spot for more than 48 hours, it probably isn't ich.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only white spot I can see is one on the pectoral fin. Are there more? If that's the only one, its too large for ich. Perhaps lympho?

OP
OP
Cougnurse

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only white spot I can see is one on the pectoral fin. Are there more? If that's the only one, its too large for ich. Perhaps lympho?
Yes it is just on that fin, last night it was small like a grain of salt this morning it was larger fuzzy appearance.

OP
OP
Cougnurse

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black spots seem lined up, that isn't how black ich (Turbellarians) typically grow. Here is the funny thing - EVERYONE says use praziquantel on turbellarians, but it doesn't work! Prazi works by stunning flukes so they drop off the fish. It doesn't kill the flukes outright. Turbellarians live in cysts. They may be stunned by the prazi, but don't drop off. So how do you account for prazi seemingly work? Well, turbellarians are often self-limiting, they go away on their own.

Formalin dips and siphoning the bottom of the tank are a better treatment for turbellarians.

As for the white spots - I can't see them. While your protocol sounds good, there may have been some loss of biosecurity along the way. What I would do is watch the white spots - if they come and go every day or two, then it may well be ich. If they stay in one spot for more than 48 hours, it probably isn't ich.

Jay
Thank you Jay for all the info!

OP
OP
Cougnurse

Cougnurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hi Jay, so the white spot fell off over 72 hours later. No recurrence yet and no one else sick. I would like to start adding my fish back to DT, its been empty for 81 days. Do you think it would be okay after a week of observation to add some of the fish back? I was going to observe the tang for another week, making it 2 weeks from when the spot first appeared. Or should I observe all fish for 2 weeks before adding?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, here's my HumbleFish thread from when I had ich (or whatever it ended up being) after copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, so the white spot fell off over 72 hours later. No recurrence yet and no one else sick. I would like to start adding my fish back to DT, its been empty for 81 days. Do you think it would be okay after a week of observation to add some of the fish back? I was going to observe the tang for another week, making it 2 weeks from when the spot first appeared. Or should I observe all fish for 2 weeks before adding?
I prefer to wait a minimum of two weeks from when the symptoms went away. I’ll often wait longer if the issue was unknown. The only time I would move the fish out sooner would be if the QT is unstable, or they are fighting.
Jay

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all newbie here,

I had an ich out break in my DT, pulled all my fish out and put them in a QT. Treated them with 30 days of copper power maintaining it above 2.0 per Hanna checker. Added to this metroplex x4 weeks. Following this did 2 rounds of prazipro, 2nd dose was 7/5. My powder brown tang now has white spots on his fin looks like ich. He still has black spots like freckles on his body, thought it might be black ich but no changes with prazipro. No one else in the tank have symptoms at this time. Not sure what to do next... hyposalinity vs Chloroquine vs Continued observation vs ich management. Feeling a bit frustrated right now. Best pic I could get of black spots. Thank you!

FB_IMG_1657165447979.jpg
I don't have any practical input but just wanted to say bless your heart.

I went thru a whole circus trying to get my fish medicated and healthy... just for the hippo tang to break out into something (flukes? black ich?) right after I put them all back in the display. I wanted to cry haha.

I put paracleanse in the DT and all seemed to have responded well since.

Best of luckkkkkk!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back