Ich and going fallow

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a flame wrasse yesterday, and this morning it clearly had ich. I’m debating going fallow and treating all my fish with copper in qt. However I have quite a few fish (one spot foxface, tomini tang, melanarus wrasse, pair of clownfish, starry blenny, benggai cardinal, flame wrasse and a yasha goby). How would I go about setting up a qt tank for all these fish, (tank size, filtration, etc), would it be better to do two tanks? Or should I just wait on going fallow and see if the one fish gets better with good feeding as it settles in? Thanks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going fallow is one way to go about it...

There is more to understand which lies beneath a typical catch everything and copper it into the ground approach.

Most ich is brought about by fish stress, and, quite ironically, grabbing fish out, chasing them around, and exposing them to toxic copper is perhaps the most stressful experience you could provide.

Consider, instead, lowing stress. You will see the ich propagate itself among your community, but if your community is fed a nutritious diet, and distressed, you will see their immune system fight ich itself.

Treating ich inadvertently by lowering stress and feeding a super nutritious diet requires less work, typically results in fewer, and, most times... zero, casuallties.

I brought home a new coral beauty at the beginning of November, acclimated it to the 215g, and low and behold ich spread among the 21 fish community - tangs, clowns, bennies, gobies, damsels, wrasses wrapped everything. Remaining calm, I boosted feeding and kept my hands out of the tank for a few days.

Three weeks later, following the above mentioned technique, zero losses... And now the fish are stronger with boosted immune systems.

OP
OP
Jesse Depass

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going fallow is one way to go about it...

There is more to understand which lies beneath a typical catch everything and copper it into the ground approach.

Most ich is brought about by fish stress, and, quite ironically, grabbing fish out, chasing them around, and exposing them to toxic copper is perhaps the most stressful experience you could provide.

Consider, instead, lowing stress. You will see the ich propagate itself among your community, but if your community is fed a nutritious diet, and distressed, you will see their immune system fight ich itself.

Treating ich inadvertently by lowering stress and feeding a super nutritious diet requires less work, typically results in fewer, and, most times... zero, casuallties.

I brought home a new coral beauty at the beginning of November, acclimated it to the 215g, and low and behold ich spread among the 21 fish community - tangs, clowns, bennies, gobies, damsels, wrasses wrapped everything. Remaining calm, I boosted feeding and kept my hands out of the tank for a few days.

Three weeks later, following the above mentioned technique, zero losses... And now the fish are stronger with boosted immune systems.

Thanks for the response, this is sort of what I was hoping to hear. My tomini tang has been chasing the new flame wrasse all around, and I think that’s a big cause of stress for it. I think I’ll up my feeding from 2 to 3 times a day (Selcon enriched LRS fish frenzy and tdo pellets) and hope this helps with both the aggression and immune systems.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely will. Something else you can do is increase oxygenation. By turning your skimmer on to overflow back into the sump, opening a window... etc. Makes an insane difference.

OP
OP
Jesse Depass

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely will. Something else you can do is increase oxygenation. By turning your skimmer on to overflow back into the sump, opening a window... etc. Makes an insane difference.

I’ll try that too, I also added a mirror about an hour ago for the tang to attack instead of the other fish

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back